Random hour time

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2 6:15 AM
      Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
      wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
      daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
      both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

      In favor of a change:
      ---------------------
      1. The best meteor conditions are earlier than our present RH times.
      2. Having the 6m RH last until noon EDT wipes out Saturday morning, and
      may prevent some from staying around for it.

      Opposed to a change:
      --------------------
      1. Change may be confusing.
      2. Would a 1300 UTC (0600 PDT) be too early for many west coasters?

      What do others think?

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT
    • waynesteury@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2 6:39 AM
        An earlier time would work better for me. Thanks. Presently, I work 6
        meters only.

        N9EGT
        Wayne F. Steury

        > Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
        > wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
        > daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
        > both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)
        >
        > In favor of a change:
        > ---------------------
        > 1. The best meteor conditions are earlier than our present RH times.
        > 2. Having the 6m RH last until noon EDT wipes out Saturday morning, and
        > may prevent some from staying around for it.
        >
        > Opposed to a change:
        > --------------------
        > 1. Change may be confusing.
        > 2. Would a 1300 UTC (0600 PDT) be too early for many west coasters?
        >
        > What do others think?
        >
        > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

        > --

      • km5es
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 2 6:41 AM
          I think it would be alot better if it was earlier.

          John KM5ES
          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@P...> wrote:
          > Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to
          start, I am
          > wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier
          during
          > daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be
          arguments
          > both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast"
          views.)

          > In favor of a change:
          > ---------------------
          > 1. The best meteor conditions are earlier than our present RH
          times.
          > 2. Having the 6m RH last until noon EDT wipes out Saturday
          morning, and
          > may prevent some from staying around for it.
          >
          > Opposed to a change:
          > --------------------
          > 1. Change may be confusing.
          > 2. Would a 1300 UTC (0600 PDT) be too early for many west coasters?
          >
          > What do others think?
          >
          > -- 73, Joe, K1JT
        • Dave Witucki (N8OC)
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2 6:52 AM
            I'd be all for an earlier start time.   I'm always up early, and by current start times, I've had my coffee and breakfast and ready to get started on other projects / honey-dos.

            Dave  N8OC
            Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
            wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
            daylight saving time.  As I see it, the following might be arguments
            both for and against a change.  (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

            In favor of a change:
            ---------------------
            1. The best meteor conditions are earlier than our present RH times.
            2. Having the 6m RH last until noon EDT wipes out Saturday morning, and
            may prevent some from staying around for it.

            Opposed to a change:
            --------------------
            1. Change may be confusing.
            2. Would a 1300 UTC (0600 PDT) be too early for many west coasters?

            What do others think?

                  -- 73, Joe, K1JT

            To unsubscribe, send an email to:

          • John Zempel
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2 7:14 AM
              An hour earlier would be good. However, for now I'm QRT for MS because my
              sound card in the laptop I've been using is dysfunctional and it's built on
              the motherboard. Need to evaluate a fix or new laptop (ouch).

              73 de John, KG4OLG

              Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
              wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
              daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
              both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

              In favor of a change:
              ---------------------
              1. The best meteor conditions are earlier than our present RH times.
              2. Having the 6m RH last until noon EDT wipes out Saturday morning, and
              may prevent some from staying around for it.

              Opposed to a change:
              --------------------
              1. Change may be confusing.
              2. Would a 1300 UTC (0600 PDT) be too early for many west coasters?

              What do others think?

              -- 73, Joe, K1JT

              To unsubscribe, send an email to:

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Bruce Brackin
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2 8:37 AM
                GM Joe and company. One suggestion I had in past is to have
                overlapping, staggered times for the 4 time zones so the west coasters
                don't have to get up before dawn (even for 1400z start).
                Since we are not trying for dx records and it is unlikely the EST/EDT op
                will work PST/PDT or the reverse, we could consider an arrangement
                similar to the following matrix and could roll one hour for 6m :

                Time: 1300-1400z 1400-1500z 1500-1600z
                EST <EST> <<EST>>
                CST CST <CST>
                <MST> MST MST
                <<PST>> <PST> PST

                <xxx> Optional
                <<xxx>> REAL optional for Lou and other 'dawn patrol' types or eastern
                late comers.

                This arrangement would potentially stretch RH but that is not
                necessarily a bad thing- hi. I'd even be open to adjusting back an hour
                during day light savings time period.

                My 2 cents worth - Bruce, N5SIX
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 2 8:59 AM
                  Bruce --

                  I was on for both Random Hours today. Activity seemed pretty low.

                  144: worked KC0HLN, N5SIX; heard ??? calling WA5UFH

                  50: worked N5SIX, N9EGT; heard W8TAH.

                  -- 73, Joe, K1JT
                • Randy Tipton
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 2 9:14 AM

                    I am for moving RH up an hour. Bruce’s recommendation looks good also. I wonder if there is a workable way
                    to combine all vhf bands during the same time frame or would it dilute the activity too much? If all bands played at the
                    same time it would provide opportunities for moving a stations from one band to the other and also allow those with 222MHz to play…

                    (I would recommend when moving stations to move to the “call frequency”. If I was working KE7NR on six meters I might send
                    NR RRR 2M.  (just brainstorming…)

                    I will go alone with whatever the group wants and can change the documentation whenever a consensus decision
                    is reached.

                    Tip

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 2 9:37 AM
                      Hi Everyone,

                      I agree with moving random hour up 1 hour but think leaving seperate
                      Random hours the way they are now would be better. As it is now I see
                      some people making skeds during RH and such. To each his own...any
                      suggestions to improve Random periods and increase activity would be
                      welcomed!

                      73's
                      Terry
                      WA3LTB
                      EN92ta
                      Lake CIty, Pa...
                    • n6enu
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 2 10:01 AM
                        Joe Taylor wrote:

                        > Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                        > wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                        > daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
                        > both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

                        I personally think the same local time during the year is best. Makes
                        planning easier. That said, 6AM seems to be a bit early for most out
                        West. If you notice the postings on PJ, activity out here seems to pick
                        up after 7AM. Keep in mind that during the winter, it is still dark
                        during RH here in the West.

                        I hope that West Coasters chime in before a decision is made. I would
                        love to see activity pick up out West and time of day may be a major factor.

                        --
                        John Milligan
                        N6ENU
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 2 11:23 AM
                          I think  RH  is great  If u want to start at 1100Z and run till 1700Z  i will be in there either for all or at least most of it. Got to shower some time in there but would be back to try catching more stations. I would even go for 1100Z -1400Z 2mtr  &  1400Z to 1700Z  6mtr  or 1100Z - 1700Z  work any band u can just have to send in report to have credit for QSO AWARDS.  i JUST LOVE TO HEAR DEM PINGS SO WILL LISTEN NO MATTER WHAT THE TIME LINE WILL BE.  AS LONG AS IT ISN'T 2IN THE MORNING!

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 2 11:27 AM
                            Someone official in the group needs to notify my employer, spouse, and
                            family that I have my priorities out of alignment. That I need to get on
                            RH more often. Just kidding.

                            Here lately every Saturday morning, I have been tied up one way or
                            another. An earlier time would come near working better for me also. And
                            the rocks would probably be better. Would not hurt my feelings to start
                            2 hours earlier.

                            73
                            Chuck
                            AF4O
                          • Charles AF4O
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 2 11:33 AM

                              Oh, and yes I think RH is great also. In any form/time I will try and be there. The pings are addicting !

[...]

                                        CST        &nb! sp; CST         <CST>
                                       <MST>         MST          MST
                                      <<PST>>       <PST>         PST

                              <xxx>  Optional
                              <<xxx>> REAL optional for Lou and other 'dawn patrol' types or eastern
                              late comers.

                              This arrangement would potentially stretch RH but that is not
                              necessarily a bad thing- hi.  I'd even be open to adjusting back an hour
                              during day light savings time period.

                              My 2 cents worth - Bruce, N5SIX

                              To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                              NAHSMS Contest Page ! http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm

                              To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                              Ham radio

                              Wsjt

                              Craft hobby

                              Hobby and craft supply

                            • Henry A Kilburg
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 2 12:17 PM
                                You have my vote to start one hour early.

                                W6TMS CN90

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 2 1:39 PM
                                  I vote for 1 hour earlier starting time.
                                  John W9SE

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 2 4:12 PM
                                    Hello All,

                                    I would like to Have the Random Hour last for two
                                    Hours From Say 14:00  to 16:00 for both 6 Meters
                                    and 2 Meters overlap .That way we could switch
                                    back and forth depending on the pings and activity

                                    Tnx and 73

                                    Ken K5DNL

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                                  • Randy Tipton
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 4 7:45 PM

                                      So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very positive for starting earlier.

                                      For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok or do you wish to leave the starting  time at 14:00 and end an hour latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC appeared to be a slim majority out west.  East / West coast don’t have to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more consideration?

                                      Tip

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 4 10:12 PM
                                        Tip, from my viewpoint here in the MDT, and being to close or to far for
                                        WSJT meteor scatter, the earlier the better! I would vote for say
                                        1200 on 2 meters and above and 1300 for six meters. I try to set up the
                                        computer to monitor most saturdays, and from "my" observations activity
                                        seems to be down, for quite some time. Just not hearing the rocks here
                                        like we used to. Mother Nature may be responsible. Years ago when I
                                        was mountain topping most weekends, sunrise always brought the meteor
                                        bursts in on SSB from the TX, NM (N5JHV) and AZ (N7CI) Big-guns to my SE
                                        and the Big-Guns from OR, WA (WA7VHW) and MT (WA1JXN/W7GJ) to the NW.
                                        The times they are a changing. A part of me was actually hoping NASA
                                        would of blown up comet temple yesterday, accidentally of course, just
                                        to of provided us with a new meteor shower! ;-) But in the end I feel
                                        earlier the better. And how about Sunday mornings? Anything to get me
                                        off my lazy you know what to listen and or make noise. For all the
                                        money and tower time I have spent this gear seems to sit here doing
                                        nothing most of the time.

                                        Hummmm where have I heard that before.

                                        Soap Box broken up and now burning in the fire pit.

                                        73, Mark, Ku7z

                                        Randy Tipton wrote:

                                        > So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change
                                        > to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official
                                        > announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very
                                        > positive for starting earlier.
                                        >

                                        > For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok
                                        > or do you wish to leave the starting time at 14:00 and end an hour
                                        > latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC
                                        > appeared to be a slim majority out west. East / West coast don’t have
                                        > to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more
                                        > consideration?
                                        >

                                        > Tip

                                        73!
                                        Ku7z, Mark in DN41
                                        "Amateur radio operators do it with frequency. Ham radio operators do it
                                        till their GigaHertz."
                                      • ww2r@mgef.org
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 5 7:57 AM
                                          In think moving it up an hour but keeping the length the same is a good idea

                                          Dave

                                          ww2r

                                        • Olin Chamberlin
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 5 10:42 AM
                                            Will the time change back with daylight savings time change?
                                            I'm for the move.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 5 11:29 AM

                                              To the best of my memory RH has always been UTC time and has not changed with ‘”daylight savings time”.

                                              I don’t know what the outcome of the current “Energy Bill” is but I thought Standard Time was being proposed to be
                                              only 2 months out of the year. (Basically going away) So it may not even be an issue.

                                              Tip

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 5 1:45 PM
                                                Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                                                wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                                                daylight saving time.
                                                This is why I asked the question. I don't care but the earlier the better is because when I do get ton the air in the morning I find my self waiting on RH

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 6 3:45 PM
                                                  And while we are on the subject, let me bring this idea up for future
                                                  consideration. It was most frustrating trying to demo WSJT on Sunday
                                                  morning of Field Day because of the lack of stations listening or calling.
                                                  In addition, a lack of participation was noted in Bruce's RH report for
                                                  Sat June 25 probably due to many of us setting up Field Day stations Sat
                                                  morning.

                                                  So my proposal is that in the future during the weekend of ARRL Field Day
                                                  (4th weekend of June) that Random Hour be held on Sunday morning instead
                                                  of Saturday morning. This will provide more opportunity for those who
                                                  want to demo WSJT during Field Day and will also probably increase
                                                  participation.

                                                  BTW, I agree with everyone about making RH one hour earlier.

                                                  73 de
                                                  --
                                                  Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                                                  Bloomington, Indiana US