Re: [wsjtgroup] Re: ARRL Membership Services Committee VHF/UHF Awards and Contest Survey

  • Rick Fletcher
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2002
      > I think that the ham community is reaping what it is sowing, and that
      > is pushing people to be on HF as the only band that matters.
      >
      > My $.02 rant of the day.
      > 73
      > K9PO

      K9PO makes some excellent points. One more to consider: There's a lot more
      commercial interest in our spectrum at VHF and above than there is in HF.
      If we don't get more hams up there on a more regular basis, we're going to
      eventually lose some of that spectrum.

      73,

      Rick
      KG6IAL
    • Jacob Tennant
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2002
        Along the same lines of what K9PO stated is the stigma given to VHF/UHF weak
        signal activities as when I first got started in it I was told that that it
        was something close to "Black Magic", not very popular so I would be talking
        to myself alot, need a really high QTH to be successful, need monster
        antennas, need very exotic radios cost mega-bucks, etc. . .

        These were all comments from my local ham club members of which only 1,
        other than myself, is active on weak signal activities. However all of the
        others were proud to show off there $1000.00+ HF radios as the only way to
        go, along with there 80'+ dipoles or monster HF beams.

        I was once one of those 2M FM repeater only operators, but after a taste of
        weak signal operations the repeater just seemed really lame and I have since
        sold off ALL of my FM radio equipment and only on the repeater if someone
        hands me a HT and then only for a few minutes cause one of our "REAL HAMS"
        told me there isn't really any DX on VHF even though I was showing him my
        QSL cards from GM,HC8N, and 9A4 but in his words those were flukes.

        As always this is just my $.02 worth...

        Jacob Tennant K8JWT