ARRL Membership Services Committee VHF/UHF Awards and Contest Survey

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
      Looks like a good opportunity here, the ARRL is asking for input. Lets
      give it to them. You know, the North American Meteor Scatter contest
      has no sponsors. This survey covers awards and contest. Let the ink
      flow..... but be nice.
      Tip
      wa5ufh
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2002
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2002

          --- In wsjtgroup@y..., "Randy Tipton" <wa5ufh@y...> wrote:
          > Looks like a good opportunity here, the ARRL is asking for input.
          Lets
          > give it to them. You know, the North American Meteor Scatter contest
          > has no sponsors. This survey covers awards and contest. Let the ink
          > flow..... but be nice.
          > Tip
          > wa5ufh

        • Rick Fletcher
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2002
            > I think that the ham community is reaping what it is sowing, and that
            > is pushing people to be on HF as the only band that matters.
            >
            > My $.02 rant of the day.
            > 73
            > K9PO

            K9PO makes some excellent points. One more to consider: There's a lot more
            commercial interest in our spectrum at VHF and above than there is in HF.
            If we don't get more hams up there on a more regular basis, we're going to
            eventually lose some of that spectrum.

            73,

            Rick
            KG6IAL
          • Jacob Tennant
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 2002
              Along the same lines of what K9PO stated is the stigma given to VHF/UHF weak
              signal activities as when I first got started in it I was told that that it
              was something close to "Black Magic", not very popular so I would be talking
              to myself alot, need a really high QTH to be successful, need monster
              antennas, need very exotic radios cost mega-bucks, etc. . .

              These were all comments from my local ham club members of which only 1,
              other than myself, is active on weak signal activities. However all of the
              others were proud to show off there $1000.00+ HF radios as the only way to
              go, along with there 80'+ dipoles or monster HF beams.

              I was once one of those 2M FM repeater only operators, but after a taste of
              weak signal operations the repeater just seemed really lame and I have since
              sold off ALL of my FM radio equipment and only on the repeater if someone
              hands me a HT and then only for a few minutes cause one of our "REAL HAMS"
              told me there isn't really any DX on VHF even though I was showing him my
              QSL cards from GM,HC8N, and 9A4 but in his words those were flukes.

              As always this is just my $.02 worth...

              Jacob Tennant K8JWT