06/04/05 Random Hour Summary

  • bbrackin@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 10, 2005
      Good to see several of the group at HamCom in DFW last week. We may see a few WSJT converts out of the 25 or so that sat in on talk.

      Reporting
      Station 2m
      AF4O - Heard KE2N, WA3LTB, W5SNX tropo b/s, KB5SSJ and
      WA4HFN (both local)
      W5SNX - Worked WA5UFH, CWNR WA3LTB
      WA5UFH - Worked W5SNX, CWNR KE2N and K4FJW, heard AF4O
      and KB5SSJ
      WA3LTB - Tried W5SNX, heard KC0HLN

      Reporting
      station 6m
      W9SE - Nill
      AF4O - Worked WA5UFH, heard CQ's from N9EGT, K4FJW and W5SNX
      W5SNX - CWNR N9EGT
      N9EGT - Heard K9SQL
      WA5UFH - Worked AF4O and K9SQL, heard N9EGT, W0IOH and W5SNX
      N5SIX/M - in EM12 and earwigged while in HamCom sessions and caught
      K0RI, WA4HFN, WA5UFH, AF4O and K5DNL (U8) before/during\
      2m RH and add W0IOH and K9SQL to the mix during 6m hour

      Better rocks tomorrow and GL in the contest this weekend

      Bruce, N5SIX
    • Charles AF4O
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 11, 2005
        I have never been a serious contester, so please overlook my dumbness.

        Just wondering, is it legit to sked q's during this weekends ARRL VHF
        contest on Ping Jockey?

        I have seen several doing so. Looked on ARRL in General Rules for
        contests and found this:
        " 3.10.The use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for example,
        Internet or telephone) to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the
        contest period is not permitted."

        Just curious.

        73,
        Chuck
        AF4O
      • jay
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 11, 2005
          Hi Chuck:
          Sure, can use any method to set up skeds for the weekend until 1800 utc
          Saturday, after that not legal for contest qso's but still FB for QSO's you
          don't claim contest points for.
          CU in the pileups- Jay, K2OVS
        • Randy Tipton
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 11, 2005

            Charles that is correct, no real time schedules via internet etc. That is why so many went thru the trouble of making
            schedules for the contest weekend.

            I generally like making skeds for Sept and January Contests where it is more likely that the WSJT contacts can
            make a huge difference in ones score. With the June contest, everyone will have a fair share of E’s and a WSJT
            only station could not be a serious contender.

            For those like me who didn’t make any schedules, the only way to make legit contacts that count for the contest
            is to work random meteor scatter contacts or tail-end schedules. I prefer tail-ending qso’s but don’t have many lists
            to work with.

            I will be focusing mostly on 50.290. Thanks for bringing this up, I have seen a few asking for contest contacts on PJ
            also. (like you and I they are probably not serious contesters either)

            GL

            Tip

            I have never been a serious contester, so please overlook my dumbness.

            Just wondering, is it legit to sked q's during this weekends ARRL VHF
            contest on Ping Jockey?

            I have seen several doing so. Looked on ARRL in General Rules for
            contests and found this:
            " 3.10.The use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for example,
            Internet or telephone) to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the
            contest period is not permitted."

            Just curious.

            73,
            Chuck
            AF4O

            To unsubscribe, send an email to:

          • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 13, 2005
              Good Evening All:

              I have spent about 30 minutes searching for this information with no luck,
              so I will ask the question here. Please, what is the highest frequency
              tone used in JT65B? (or any JT65 version)?

              Thanks & 73,
              Mike, W5UC
            • Bob Poortinga
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 13, 2005
                "Mike(W5UC)" <w5uc@...> writes:

                > I have spent about 30 minutes searching for this information with no luck,
                > so I will ask the question here. Please, what is the highest frequency
                > tone used in JT65B? (or any JT65 version)?

                If you hover your mouse pointer over the 4 yellow vertical bars in the
                spectrum display in the upper right-hand corner of WSJT, a little help
                tip pops up and says that the four tones are: 882 Hz, 1323 Hz, 1764 Hz,
                and 2205 Hz.

                --
                Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                Bloomington, Indiana US
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 13, 2005
                  However that information is for the FSK441 mode, not JT65.

                  73, Russ K2TXB

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 13, 2005
                    Just about anything you might want to know about the technical
                    specifications of JT65 is contained in a paper entitled "The JT65
                    Communications Protocol," available at
                    http://pulsar.princeton.edu/~joe/K1JT/JT65.pdf. Look at the top of
                    page 8. This paper will soon be published in QEX.

                    You can also find the answer to your question in my piece on page 81 of
                    the current (June 2005) issue of QST.

                    In short: the JT65 sync tone is at 1270.5 Hz. The data tones are at
                    frequencies 1270.5 + 2.6917(N+2)m Hz, where N runs from 0 to 63 and m is
                    1 for mode A, 2 for mode B, and 4 for mode C.

                    For JT65B, then, the highest frequency is 1270.5 + 2.6917*65*2, or about
                    1620.4 Hz.
                    -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                    Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) wrote:
                    > Good Evening All:
                    >
                    > I have spent about 30 minutes searching for this information with no luck,
                    > so I will ask the question here. Please, what is the highest frequency
                    > tone used in JT65B? (or any JT65 version)?
                    >
                    > Thanks & 73,
                    > Mike, W5UC
                  • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 13, 2005
                      Mike:

                      The JT65 mode has a sync tone at 1270 hz. There are 64 other tones
                      spaced above that at 2.7, 5.4 or 10.7 Hz intervals for modes A, B, and C
                      respectively. This puts the highest tone in JT65B around 1600Hz.

                      I'm not sure why you are asking about frequency stuff, but if you are
                      playing with RX filters, you want the passband to be flat across the RX
                      range +/- 600 Hz to accomidate for doppler shift and tuning errors. I
                      don't think using a 2 KHz filter over your 3 KHz SSB filter on RX should
                      improve S/N in theory because the computer will throw away everything
                      outside its frequency range after doing the FFT anyway. Others can
                      comment on that from experience, however.

                      Andy K0SM/2

                      Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) wrote:

                      >Good Evening All:
                      >
                      >I have spent about 30 minutes searching for this information with no luck,
                      >so I will ask the question here. Please, what is the highest frequency
                      >tone used in JT65B? (or any JT65 version)?
                      >
                      >Thanks & 73,
                      >Mike, W5UC
                      >

                      >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
                      >
                      >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
                      >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Russ K2TXB
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 13, 2005
                        Mike, I was sure I had seen a short section of text that shows what you want
                        exactly, but I did not see it when I looked just now. However in the
                        version 4.7 users manual there is sufficient information to figure it out.
                        First it tells you that the lowest tone (sync tone) is always 1270.5 hz for
                        all JT65 modes. Next it tells you the tone spacing, 2.7, 5.4, and 10.7 Hz
                        for modes A,B,C respectively. Knowing that JT65 is named for the number of
                        tones, it is now easy to calculate the highest tone frequency
                        (approximately, there will be some slight rounding error), and the frequency
                        spread of each mode. Thus for highest tone:

                        Mode A: 1270.5 Hz + (64 * 2.7) = 1443 Hz.
                        Mode B: 1270.5 Hz + (64 * 5.4) = 1616 Hz.
                        Mode C: 1270.5 Hz + (64 * 10.7) = 1955 Hz.

                        Note that I multiplied by 64 rather than 65 because the first tone is
                        already accounted for as the starting point.

                        The bandwidth of each mode can be calculated as:

                        Mode A: 65 * 2.7 = 175.5 Hz
                        Mode B: 65 * 5.4 = 351.0 Hz
                        Mode C: 65 * 10.7 = 695.5 Hz

                        73, Russ K2TXB

                      • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 13, 2005
                          Holy Moley! Many thanks to all who responded. I just bought a FT-920 with
                          the widest filter at 2.1 kHz, and immediately realized that is too narrow
                          for FSK441 at 2205 Hz, so thought I had better make sure about JT65. It
                          looks like a filter at 2.4 kHz or wider will do the trick. Thanks again.

                          73,
                          Mike, W5UC

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 13, 2005
                            Mike --

                            Don't rush out and buy a new filter. Your new radio is fine as is. I
                            am sure that you will see in the WSJT spectral displays that the
                            bandpass of the 2.1 kHz filter extends from about 500 Hz to 2600 Hz,
                            which is a 2.1 kHz width. All WSJT modes will be very happy with that.

                            -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                            Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) wrote:
                            > Holy Moley! Many thanks to all who responded. I just bought a FT-920 with
                            > the widest filter at 2.1 kHz, and immediately realized that is too narrow
                            > for FSK441 at 2205 Hz, so thought I had better make sure about JT65. It
                            > looks like a filter at 2.4 kHz or wider will do the trick. Thanks again.
                            >
                            > 73,
                            > Mike, W5UC
                          • AK3E
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 13, 2005
                              Mike I have a Yaesu FT847 that has the 2.1 inrad filter installed for ssb.
                              It has worked many WSJT FSK441a and JT65a/b contacts.
                              Rick AK3E

                              > Holy Moley! Many thanks to all who responded. I just bought a FT-920
                              > with
                              > the widest filter at 2.1 kHz, and immediately realized that is too narrow
                              > for FSK441 at 2205 Hz, so thought I had better make sure about JT65. It
                              > looks like a filter at 2.4 kHz or wider will do the trick. Thanks again.
                              >
                              > 73,
                              > Mike, W5UC
                              >

                              > At 09:55 PM 6/13/2005 -0400, you wrote:
                              >>Mike, I was sure I had seen a short section of text that shows what you
                              >>want
                              >>exactly, but I did not see it when I looked just now. However in the
                              >>version 4.7 users manual there is sufficient information to figure it out.
                              >>First it tells you that the lowest tone (sync tone) is always 1270.5 hz
                              >>for
                              >>all JT65 modes. Next it tells you the tone spacing, 2.7, 5.4, and 10.7 Hz
                              >>for modes A,B,C respectively. Knowing that JT65 is named for the number
                              >>of
                              >>tones, it is now easy to calculate the highest tone frequency
                              >>(approximately, there will be some slight rounding error), and the
                              >>frequency
                              >>spread of each mode. Thus for highest tone:
                              >>
                              >>Mode A: 1270.5 Hz + (64 * 2.7) = 1443 Hz.
                              >>Mode B: 1270.5 Hz + (64 * 5.4) = 1616 Hz.
                              >>Mode C: 1270.5 Hz + (64 * 10.7) = 1955 Hz.
                              >>
                              >>Note that I multiplied by 64 rather than 65 because the first tone is
                              >>already accounted for as the starting point.
                              >>
                              >>The bandwidth of each mode can be calculated as:
                              >>
                              >>Mode A: 65 * 2.7 = 175.5 Hz
                              >>Mode B: 65 * 5.4 = 351.0 Hz
                              >>Mode C: 65 * 10.7 = 695.5 Hz
                              >>
                              >>73, Russ K2TXB

                            • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 14, 2005
                                Good Morning Rick:

                                There should be no problem with JT65 as the highest tone is within the 2.1
                                kHz BW. It may be a function of where the carrier is placed on the skirt of
                                the filter. I really do not want the 2.1 & 1.8 kHz filters in the FT-920
                                that I have bought. That rig will be primarily for 6 mtrs, and as an IF
                                for 2 mtrs, and occasional use in the RV. I can sell the filters and
                                switchboard for money to buy additional CW filters for the FT-1000MP. With
                                the exception of 6 & 2 mtrs, it's extremely rare that I make a SSB
                                contact. I love 30 mtrs and have a homebrew 2 element yagi there. So, I
                                may as well broaden the passband in the FT-920 and make life easier.

                                73,
                                Mike