6meter antenna?

  • Jacob Tennant
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
      Got a antenna question for you folks, from my home QTH it appears that
      WSJT/JT44 is my best bet for sustained activity on 6meters as I live in a
      400' river valley to the east & west so I was wondering what would be a good
      sized antenna for general WSJT,etc...(NON-EME) use with mostly MS since I
      can bounce a signal back down to some other place. From 3 yrs. on 6 so far I
      have found that most Es and F2 miss me because of the valley site, nmot to
      much work done on Au as I just recently bumped up to 160watts and in WV we
      don't get a lot of Au. So as you can see WSJT & JT44 is my best bet for
      daily radio fun.

      I have a commercial dipole for 6 now, was looking at either a 3 - 4 element
      beam or even a PAR omni loop since I am looking for signals from anywhere
      and everywhere.

      So let me know what you think!!

      Antenna height will be approx. 20 - 25 feet above the ground with a short
      45' run of 9913F to the shack.

      Jacob Tennant K8JWT
    • Rex Moncur
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
        Hi Jacob

        A three element beam and 160 watts on six will work well on WSJT in FSK441 mode.  You will need to check you can get over the obstructions - for centre path reflections at a distance of 650 km it will get over 12 degrees, by 1000 km this drops to six degrees but at 2000 km you need close to zero degree horizon.  You can get reflections closer to your end of the path that might help on paths less than 1000 km but off centre reflections tend too be weaker and much shorter in duration.

        Kind Regards
        Rex, VK7MO