RE: [wsjtgroup] Soundblaster Live

  • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)
    Message 1 of 13 , May 15, 2005
      Russ, Good Sunday morning to you:

      The radio is a FT-1000MP. I have an interesting, but so far, effective 2
      meter RX. Al, W5LUA, came up with the idea of picking the 10.7 mHz IF off
      of our IC-271A's and dumping that into a better RX. It works right
      well. I am also using an external pre-amp(abt .25 dB NF) ahead of the
      IC-271A input. The pin diode switch in the 271 input has been bypassed as
      we found that it has almost 3 dB loss. We added another connector on the
      rear apron and that splits the RX input & TX output., I use external
      changeover relays which also allow me to take the RX input to a 50 ohm load
      in TX. The 10.7 mHz If goes to the auxiliary RX input jack of the
      FT-1000MP. The ultimate goal is to mix the 10.7 mHz IF down to baseband
      and feed it into Linrad. The only problem is that Linux is eating me up,
      and I have developed a more than strong dislike for it. (My feelings are
      stronger than that, I'm just trying to keep it clean)

      Bruce, N5SIX says He knows of an emitter follower circuit that might do the
      job, so I will see about building that and install it as you suggest. I
      will keep you posted.

      73,
      Mike, W5UC

      At 10:58 AM 5/15/2005 -0400, you wrote:
      >Of course another option is to boost the output from your radio. You did
      >not say what radio you are uysing, but if it is the TS-2000, for example,
      >the line output level is adjustable via a menu control. Other radios may
      >have similar adjustments, or may not be adjustable - my FT-726R line out is
      >not adjustable. You could always build a little line amplifier into your
      >WSJT control box.
      >
      >I had not heard the comments about mic input being noisy. It may be true,
      >but a number of the sound cards I have used do not have line input anyway
      >(for instance my laptop). Mic input seems to work well. But like you, I am
      >interested in any improvements that can be realized by a better sound card.
      >
      >Good luck, and tell us how you end up with this, pse.
      >
      >73, Russ K2TXB

    • Dan
      Message 2 of 13 , May 15, 2005
        Russ K2TXB wrote:

        > You could always build a little line amplifier into your
        >WSJT control box.
        >
        >73, Russ K2TXB

        I done this for my old laptop I used to use. Nothing fancy, as I recall
        I built one of the rainbow kits audio amps made for boosting earphone
        level to speaker level. Worked pretty well here, although I have no
        idea how the noise floor or s/n ratio was effected. I've since changed
        laptops, and no longer need the amp.

        73
        Dan

        --
        K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
        Check out the Rover Resource Page at: http://www.qsl.net/n9rla
        Message 3 of 13 , May 16, 2005
          I just got a Soundblaster Live 24 bit soundcard Model SB0410 24 bit
          and it works fine here. It took a little while to set it up but I
          have been working several people with the new card inline. It has 3
          speaker outputs on it which I use output one for the speakers. Use
          the volume control in windows not the one that came with the
          soundcard. It is much easier to adjust and is not as critical.

          John KM5ES

          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Dan <n9rla@y...> wrote:

          > Russ K2TXB wrote:
          >
          > > You could always build a little line amplifier into your
          > >WSJT control box.
          > >
          > >73, Russ K2TXB
          > >

          > I done this for my old laptop I used to use. Nothing fancy, as I
          recall
          > I built one of the rainbow kits audio amps made for boosting
          earphone
          > level to speaker level. Worked pretty well here, although I have
          no
          > idea how the noise floor or s/n ratio was effected. I've since
          changed
          > laptops, and no longer need the amp.
          >
          > 73
          > Dan
          >
          > --
          > K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
          > Check out the Rover Resource Page at: http://www.qsl.net/n9rla
          > List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
        • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)
          Message 4 of 13 , May 16, 2005
            Good Morning John & all:

            This card is one of many that were dumped on the surplus market, apparently
            by Dell. Two or three weeks ago, there were tons of them on e-bay for not
            very much. I paid eleven bucks including delivery. As I understand it, it
            was used in some Dell Dimension computers not too long ago, but were custom
            made for Dell by Creative Labs. It works, XP detects it and has drivers,
            but just will not drive WSJT software.

            73
            Mike, W5UC

            At 01:04 PM 5/16/2005 +0000, you wrote:
            >I just got a Soundblaster Live 24 bit soundcard Model SB0410 24 bit
            >and it works fine here. It took a little while to set it up but I
            >have been working several people with the new card inline. It has 3
            >speaker outputs on it which I use output one for the speakers. Use
            >the volume control in windows not the one that came with the
            >soundcard. It is much easier to adjust and is not as critical.
            >
            >John KM5ES
            >
            >--- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Dan <n9rla@y...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Russ K2TXB wrote:
            > >
            > > > You could always build a little line amplifier into your
            > > >WSJT control box.
            > > >
            > > >73, Russ K2TXB
            > > >

            > > I done this for my old laptop I used to use. Nothing fancy, as I
            >recall
            > > I built one of the rainbow kits audio amps made for boosting
            >earphone
            > > level to speaker level. Worked pretty well here, although I have
            >no
            > > idea how the noise floor or s/n ratio was effected. I've since
            >changed
            > > laptops, and no longer need the amp.
            > >
            > > 73
            > > Dan
            > >
            > > --
            > > K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
            > > Check out the Rover Resource Page at: http://www.qsl.net/n9rla
            > > List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books

            >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
            >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • km5es
            Message 5 of 13 , May 16, 2005
              Mike

              I dont know if referring to the one that was originally started this
              thread or the one I just bought.Mine works fine on WSJT.

              John KM5ES
              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)"

            • john flinn
              Message 6 of 13 , May 16, 2005
                John KM5ES,
                Which one did you buy on EBay?  Im confused now.
                John W9SE

                Message 7 of 13 , May 16, 2005
                  Hi John:

                  The CT4780.  I looked over the weekend and there are a few left on e-bay.  It has 5 ports: Line in, Mic, Two sound out ports(for surround sound0 and a digital output port. It is an impressive card.  I just wish I could figure out why the line level is so low. Here is the URL for the current listings.  http://search.ebay.com/ct4780_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

                  Good Luck

                  73,
                  Mike, W5UC

                  <?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" />

                  <w5uc@c...> wrote:
                  > Good Morning John & all:
                  >
                  > This card is one of many that were dumped on the surplus market,
                  apparently
                  > by Dell.  Two or three weeks ago, there were tons of them on e-bay
                  for not
                  > very much. I paid eleven bucks including delivery.  As I
                  understand it, it
                  > was used in some Dell Dimension computers not too long ago, but
                  were custom
                  > made for Dell by Creative Labs.  It works, XP detects it and has
                  drivers,
                  > but just will not drive WSJT software.
                  >
                  > 73
                  > Mike, W5UC
                  >

                  > At 01:04 PM 5/16/2005 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >I just got a Soundblaster Live 24 bit soundcard Model SB0410 24
                  bit
                  > >and it works fine here. It took a little while to set it up but I
                  > >have been working several people with the new card inline. It has
                  3
                  > >speaker outputs on it which I use output one for the speakers. Use
                  > >the volume control in windows not the one that came with the
                  > >soundcard. It is much easier to adjust and is not as critical.
                  > >
                  > >John KM5ES
                  > >
                  > >--- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Dan <n9rla@y...> wrote:

                  > > > I done this for my old laptop I used to use.  Nothing fancy,
                  as I
                  > >recall
                  > > > I built one of the rainbow kits audio amps made for boosting
                  > >earphone
                  > > > level to speaker level.  Worked pretty well here, although I
                  have
                  > >no
                  > > > idea how the noise floor or s/n ratio was effected.  I've since
                  > >changed
                  > > > laptops, and no longer need the amp.
                  > > >
                  > > > 73
                  > > > Dan
                  > > >
                  > > > --
                  > > > K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
                  > > > Check out the Rover Resource Page at:  http://www.qsl.net/n9rla
                  > > > List Administrator for:  InHam+grid-loc+ham-books

                  > >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
                  > >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
                  > >

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                  To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Rick Graham
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 17, 2005

                    Due to the uncertainty of my current living arrangements, I am anticipating that I will have to move soon and will probably be in a antenna restricted area.

                    Therefore with great reluctance, I have the following for sale, but I must mention that these are you buy, you take down and you take away. Also it is for the package deal - I won't separate (just yet).

                    (2) C3i FO15 144MHz antennas. One is operational and the other could be with some additional hardware (brackets mainly). These are 26' log and can be seperated into 3 pieces for transport. Have a manual for this antenna. 'N' Connectors on these. Also have (2) 1/2" hardline lengths enough to make a power divider for the two.

                    (1) Cushcraft (???) 25 El. 432MHz antenna. Not sure of the make/model as I have no manual. 'N' Connectors on this. This is 18' long

                    (1) HamIV rotator with control box and about 30' of control cable.

                    (1) TR44 rotator (no control box). Not sure of operation on this.

                    Asking $200.00 for the lot. Again, you tear down and you take away.

                    If interested, let me know via email (rick {dot} graham3 {at} verizon {dot} net).

                    73 DE AI3W, Rick

                  • km5es
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 17, 2005
                      John

                      I bought the Soundblaster Live 24 bit from Walmart. Cost $29.95 plus
                      tax.

                      John KM5ES

                      of Service.