Antennas for Meteror scatter..so many questions...so little time

  • k3ace_3
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2002
      Hi Gang,

      I am a newbie to WSJT (and the forum) and have tried to gleen as
      much info as possible from the previous posts. I apologize if any of
      my questions or comments are redundant.
      My station currently consists of a TS-790a with 2/432/1296 and a
      TS-60 for 6 meters. My problem at the moment however is antennas
      (deed restrictions). At present, I do have 11 elements on 2 meters in
      the attic and can only be rotated using the strong arm method. From
      what I have been reading here, it sounds as if some have used halos
      successfully. Along this line, I wonder if any one has used
      an "Eggbeater" type arrangement? As they were designed to work with
      the newer LEO satellites, it would seem to reason that they may work
      on 2m meteor scatter. From what I have read about them, they appear
      to have a horizon to horizon coverage. Any thoughts?
      I also have a question concerning beams. When using one in this
      mode, in what direction and elevation would the best results be
      given? Obviously meteors can occur in most any part of the sky. My
      guess would be somewhere between 45deg and 90deg and a north westerly
      direction (I live on the east coast). Also, is there any reason why
      the antenna would have to be any more than 10 feet off the ground? A
      thought would be to build antennas and mounts that can be
      assembled/disassembled easily that could set up on the back deck and
      could be used for moutaintopping and such.
      Thanks in advance for your time and help.

      Regards,
      Norm
      K3ACE
      FM29dr
      Newark, Delaware
    • pnkay2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 18, 2002
        Hi Norm,

        I have used a Hentenna antenna on 2M to make several WSJT contacts.
        This is in the attic facing a NW / SE direction (QTH is London). I
        run an Icom IC-746 at 100 Watts.
        The Hentenna is a Bi-Directional antenna with about 3dB gain, made
        from solid copper electrical wire (2.5mm).

        On 6M I use a M2 Halo, again mounted in the attic. This also seems to
        work well on MS and to my surprise worked better on F2 contacts than
        the wire delta loop I had! I run the Icom IC-756 at 100 Watts into
        this.

        The attic is 6M AGL and I live on the side of a small hill with
        buildings all around. I am 70M ASL. My worse direction is NE / E as
        this is where the ground rises. Best direction for me is SE / S
        (ground slopes away).

        73's de Peter, G0KUX.