WA5UFH Rally Plans...

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2005
      Stop reading here if you're not interested in my Rally Plans....

      Here are my plans for the Rally... but first if there are any stations
      outside normal meteor scatter range wanting a sked with me please email
      me your proposal. I need to work South California for a new state. We
      will not be on PJ during the Rally and these skeds will not be valid
      Unassisted Contacts on my end however it sure would be nice to add a new
      state.

      Unassisted Multiband & Low Power ... my Grid EL19pa

      Grids as reports. BC's + Rpt<(YourCall) EL19 WA5UFH EL19>
      Roger + Rpt <REL19>

      Saturday Random Hour Operations:
      There are two RH activity periods during the Rally. If you have not
      worked me during the Rally by 5/7 this would be a good time to listen
      for my pings.

      For two meters both Saturdays I will be using Tx First Sequence. On six
      meters I will let conditions dictate which sequence I use.

      Operating times:
      I will focus my activity early mornings 5 - 11 AM CDT. I will be on as
      time permits and when activity is heard.

      I plan to use both the offset method and simplex method for calling cq
      during the rally. This will be decided based on activity. i.e what I am
      hearing... When using offset I will use the Up or Down method. (example
      U7 or D3)

      I will always use the "Random Hour Message Format" when on a calling
      frequency and will expect to receive the same.

      For contacts off the calling frequency I will respond with whatever
      message format I receive but would prefer the "Random Hour Format".

      I will try to move stations I know that have both bands (2 & 6) by
      sending a "QSY" request with either the RRR or 73 message.

      My Six Meter QSY Frequency will be 50.262
      My Two Meter QSY Frequency will be 144.138
      (These will be fixed in my "Custom Messages)

      The QSY request will be sent during the RRR or 73 message sequences and
      look like: <QSY 138> or <QSY 262> (15 seconds of standard RRR or 73's
      and 15 seconds of QSY XXX)

      So if you're expecting a 73 or RRR and get QSY 138 you will know I have
      all information and I want you to immediately QSY to the other band.

      I will expect you to use the same Tx / Rx Sequence when QSY from one
      band to the other.

      When a station is QSY to other band, I would suggest you run a minimum
      of 15 minutes or longer before giving up. (If we completed on band "A",
      band "B" is very probable so don't give up too early)

      We will call other stations I decoded that are calling me during a
      contact when the ongoing contact is completed. Stick around and feel
      free to jump in at any point during the contact exchange to tailend my
      contact or follow me to new frequency if I am in QSY mode with other
      station.

      It goes without saying I will be using 30 second sequences & grids as
      reports. FSK441A mode but will switch to JT6M if that mode heard.

      If you are operating "Assisted" and work me; please feel free to post my
      activity to PJ. <grin>

      Tip
      WA5UFH
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 2006
        Don't forget April 29th is the start of the NAHSMS Rally. Below are my plans
        for the Rally...

        WA5UFH Rally Plans...

        I will operate unassisted | multiband | low power.

        I hope to hear more CQ's this time on two meters. I recommend assisted
        stations taking advantage of the two Random Hour sessions on Saturdays for
        extra points!

        During scheduled Random Hours, I will focus on two meters. I plan to use two
        meters during the entire two hours on Saturdays if there is activity!

        When calling CQ's we will use the Up | Dn offset method. On six meters we
        will probably use CQU12 and two meters CQD8. These frequencies could change
        due to what activity dictates.

        If we end up on a shared frequency and we decode your pings I will always
        attempt to tail-end your contact so stick around if you have heard me.

        I will listen for CQ's on 50.260 and 144.140 MHz. I have no plans to make
        contacts on the calling frequency except for stations not using the off-set
        method.

        If pings are plentiful I will stick with Random Hour Messages during
        contacts. Even when off the calling frequencies I do not plan on using sh
        messages unless it appears the contact is in jeopardy. By sticking to
        Random Hour messages I can easily slip in a "QSY" request.

        During six meter contacts, if I know you have two meters, please listen as I
        will request a qsy on six meters. Please listen for my QSY request after RRR
        is received or with the RRR or 73 messages. I will send something like <QSY
        .123> instead of 73 or XXX RRR .123

        If there are stations that need EL19 that meet the distance requirement we
        are happy to make a few schedules. Please email me if interested at
        wa5ufh@...

        There is not much rocket science in my planning. I would be interested in
        hearing other strategies; maybe I can steal a point or two. Hi

        Tip
        WA5UFH