More activity on 6m or 2m? (was "New member")

  • Jon W0AMT
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 27, 2005
      Hi Jeff,

      In Randy Tipton's recent message concerning random hour observations he
      said he copied 13 stations on six meters and 6 on two meters. So I guess
      the short answer is 6 meters. I believe that is a function of more
      people having HF+6 radios and somewhat less people having 2 meter
      sideband radios.

      73, Jon
      W0AMT

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
        Jeff and Jon,

        Not to mention the fact that meteor scatter pings are much stronger and
        longer on 6m than 2m. The patches of ionization caused by meteors are a
        much better "fit" for scattering radiation with a wavelength of 6m.
        Overall, the efficiency of MS communication falls off with increasing
        frequency at a rate of something like 1/F**2 (1 over frequency squared).

        You can actually do quite well on 6m with a dipole and 100 watts.

        73, Walt
        AJ6T

        > In Randy Tipton's recent message concerning random hour observations
        he
        > said he copied 13 stations on six meters and 6 on two meters. So I
        guess
        > the short answer is 6 meters. I believe that is a function of more
        > people having HF+6 radios and somewhat less people having 2 meter
        > sideband radios.
        >
        > 73, Jon
        > W0AMT

      • Brian larmay
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
          I was thinking of making a two meter, but will go with
          a 6 meter.
          Are there certain radios made specifically for 6 meter
          work vs 2 meter, or is it basically the antenna that
          makes you or breaks you?

          Thanks for all the great replies!

          Brian

          Homepage: www.astrobri.com

          Location:
          Niagara Falls USA
          geographic Longitude = 79W
          Geographic Latitude = 43N
          Corrected Magnetic Latitude = 53N

          Cat: I'm so handsome, there's a six-month waiting list for birds to suddenly appear whenever I am near!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Jon W0AMT
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
            My Personal Opinion. The Icom IC-746 or IC-746pro are great radios. The
            Kenwood TS-2000 is a good choice. If you are more of a Yaesu fan then a
            good choice might be the FT-847. All those radios will get you on 6 and
            2 right away. I would start with a good 3 or 5 element 6 meter beam by M
            Squared, Directive Systems or C3I. That will cover you for 6 meters, you
            could also build a 2 meter dipole or a 3 element beam to work locals on
            ssb.

            73, Jon
            W0AMT

            I was thinking of making a two meter, but will go with a 6 meter.
            Are there certain radios made specifically for 6 meter work vs 2 meter,
            or is it basically the antenna that makes you or breaks you?

            Thanks for all the great replies!

            Brian

            Homepage: www.astrobri.com

            Location:
            Niagara Falls USA
            geographic Longitude = 79W
            Geographic Latitude = 43N
            Corrected Magnetic Latitude = 53N

            Cat: I'm so handsome, there's a six-month waiting list for birds to
            suddenly appear whenever I am near!

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Walt Nero
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
              Hi Brian ; Well kind of both . You need a stable radio
              of reasonable power and a good antenna . Do not ignore
              the feedline as well , use the best you can possibly
              afford . It is easier to start on 6 M as you have
              gathered . I have used both the 746 and 756 Pro2 with
              great results on 6 . The added benifit of the 746 is
              that it has 2 M when you are ready for that . A good
              preamp will be helpfull . Try to put up the best 6 M
              antenna that you can afford or fit . At least a 5 ele.
              M2 would work well . Good luck , a few years ago this
              was all a big mystery as everyone was learning
              ...73---Walt

              --- Brian larmay <power_windows4789@...> wrote:

              > I was thinking of making a two meter, but will go
              > with
              > a 6 meter.
              > Are there certain radios made specifically for 6
              > meter
              > work vs 2 meter, or is it basically the antenna that
              > makes you or breaks you?
              >

              > Thanks for all the great replies!
              >
              > Brian
              >

              > Homepage: www.astrobri.com
              >
              > Location:
              > Niagara Falls USA
              > geographic Longitude = 79W
              > Geographic Latitude = 43N
              > Corrected Magnetic Latitude = 53N
              >
              > Cat: I'm so handsome, there's a six-month waiting
              > list for birds to suddenly appear whenever I am
              > near!

              > protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!