RE: [wsjtgroup] Re: Dual Sound Cards...Solution Found

  • Russ K2TXB
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2005
      It seems to me that being able to connect one radio to right channel and one
      to left does not solve the problem. But then again, it depends on what the
      problem is. My original assumption was that the problem is the same one I
      have, but I may have been mistaken. So:

      Problem 1) You want to simultaneously record, decode, and transmit signals
      from/to two different radios with one computer.

      Problem 2) The same setup, but you don't need simultaneous operation. One
      at a time is fine.

      For #2, a simple switch can be used to switch the audio input and output
      between rigs. Using right/left channels and enabling the channel you want,
      or using dual sound cards is just making it more complicated.

      For #1, the solution could be attempted by using dual sound cards, or with a
      single one, but you have a similar problem either way. With dual sound
      cards the problem is that there is no way to direct the second sound card to
      the second instance of WSJT.

      With the single sound card, it is not the input to the sound card that is
      the problem, it is the output from the sound card that needs to be directed
      to the appropriate instance of WSJT. As someone said, there is a channel
      selection feature in WJST. But that is only used to select which channel
      (or both) is being routed to the transmitter. I think this means that you
      could transmit simultaneously with two copies of WSJT on two different
      radios, but you cannot simul receive.

      I said 'I think you could' because I have not actually tried what someone
      said would work - namely putting two copies of WSJT into two separate
      directories and then running both at once. As a Windows programmer, I know
      that if it is done right, the detection of another copy at startup time has
      nothing to do with what folder it was run from. If there is another copy on
      the same computer it will be detected, and the second instance will not be
      executed. After all, that is the whole purpose - to prevent a second copy
      from running on the same computer and causing resource conflicts. So I will
      not say it won't work without trying it, but I am highly doubtful.

      The real answer, if ever there is to be one, is for Joe and Alberto (I2PHD)
      to change WSJT and Spectran to accommodate dual sound cards for both input
      and output, or to be able to direct each input and output channel of a
      single sound card from/to the appropriate instance of the program. And to
      allow multiple copies of each program to run at once. That is a lot of work
      though...

      73, Russ K2TXB

    • jabauzit
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 8, 2005
        Hi Robin,

        Glad you found a solution. When I made my post, I just remembered
        that WSJT could use the right or left channel but did not remember
        the exact details. Now, I wonder what the use of it is if does that
        only for output and not input.

        Jean-Claude, PJ2BVU