RE: [wsjtgroup] Dual Sound Cards?

  • Catharinus PE1AHX in JO21OS
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi all,

      I run many copies of WSJT here, no problem. The "trick" is to install them
      in different folders. I don't know abt using different soundcards, I
      suspect that to be a problem. You would have to start 1 copy, go to Win
      Audio settings, change default, start 2nd copy. I suspect that the 1st
      copy will get messed up.

      Why do I run multiple copies? I sometimes run a copy with more aggressive
      parameters (more rubbish decodes) or just use the second copy for playing
      after an RX period is over. It gives me time to rightclick, change
      parameters etc without having to reload after the next 1 minute. For this
      I have Save Decoded on in the first copy and load the saved WAV in the
      second copy.

      73
      Catharinus PE1AHX

      ---
      Active VHF'ers meet on the ON4KST chat: http://www.on4kst.com/chat/start.php
    • Robin Midgett
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
        Thanks Catharinus! This is a clever solution.

        Mr. Taylor,
        Is there a possibility to include sound card selection in WSJT, thereby
        allowing two instances of WSJT to be utilized either one at a time or
        simultaneously? This would allow a PC with dual serial ports to interface
        to two rigs without having to switch cables, and maintain level settings
        for each.
        Just a thought...

        Thanks,
        Robin Midgett K4IDC
        VHF+ Glutton EM66se
      • jabauzit
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
          As you can setup WSJT to use the right, the left or both channels of
          the sound board, wouldn't it be possible to achieve what you need by
          connecting one rig to the left channel and the other to the right?

          Jean-Claude Abauzit, PJ2BVU
        • Robin Midgett
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
            That's a worthwhile thought, and I think it could be done easily
            enough...Thanks!

            At 05:46 PM 2/3/2005, you wrote:

            >As you can setup WSJT to use the right, the left or both channels of the
            >sound board, wouldn't it be possible to achieve what you need by
            >connecting one rig to the left channel and the other to the right?
            >
            >Jean-Claude Abauzit, PJ2BVU
            >

            >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
            >
            >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
            >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Thank you,
            Robin Midgett K4IDC
            2004-2005 President, SVHFS

            2005 SVHFS Conference
            Charlotte, NC April 29-30
            www.svhfs.org
          • Robin Midgett
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2005
              In thinking about Jean-Claude's suggestion, I've decided that solution
              takes care of all but one point, and that is the input to the sound card
              which is also shared between two rigs. One could probably satisfy the
              requirements by using either transformers or resistive networks on the rig
              outputs to manage impedance matching and provide some isolation.

              I've chosen for the time being the dual sound card approach. I followed the
              suggestion made by another on this list and simply use Windows Control
              Panel to enable/disable the appropriate sound card. Using a dual serial
              port 300 MHz. Pent. II machine with Win2k & 120Mb of RAM, it seems to work
              just fine. It will also run Ham Radio Deluxe (a VERY nice FREE rig control
              program) along with it's PSK-31 Deluxe module with no problems. I currently
              use only one instance of WSJT, and simply switch the com port setting when
              I want to change rigs. With this arrangement I can switch between 6m & 2m
              in just a few seconds. Each sound card remembers it's last input & output
              level settings, which is very convenient.

              At 07:29 PM 2/3/2005, you wrote:

              >That's a worthwhile thought, and I think it could be done easily
              >enough...Thanks!
              >
              >At 05:46 PM 2/3/2005, you wrote:
              >

              > >As you can setup WSJT to use the right, the left or both channels of the
              > >sound board, wouldn't it be possible to achieve what you need by
              > >connecting one rig to the left channel and the other to the right?
              > >
              > >Jean-Claude Abauzit, PJ2BVU
              > >

              > >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
              > >
              > >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
              > >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
              > >

              > >Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              >Thank you,
              >Robin Midgett K4IDC
              >2004-2005 President, SVHFS
              >
              >2005 SVHFS Conference
              >Charlotte, NC April 29-30
              >www.svhfs.org
              >

              >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
              >
              >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
              >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Thank you,
              Robin Midgett K4IDC
              2004-2005 President, SVHFS

              2005 SVHFS Conference
              Charlotte, NC April 29-30
              www.svhfs.org
            • Russ K2TXB
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7, 2005
                It seems to me that being able to connect one radio to right channel and one
                to left does not solve the problem. But then again, it depends on what the
                problem is. My original assumption was that the problem is the same one I
                have, but I may have been mistaken. So:

                Problem 1) You want to simultaneously record, decode, and transmit signals
                from/to two different radios with one computer.

                Problem 2) The same setup, but you don't need simultaneous operation. One
                at a time is fine.

                For #2, a simple switch can be used to switch the audio input and output
                between rigs. Using right/left channels and enabling the channel you want,
                or using dual sound cards is just making it more complicated.

                For #1, the solution could be attempted by using dual sound cards, or with a
                single one, but you have a similar problem either way. With dual sound
                cards the problem is that there is no way to direct the second sound card to
                the second instance of WSJT.

                With the single sound card, it is not the input to the sound card that is
                the problem, it is the output from the sound card that needs to be directed
                to the appropriate instance of WSJT. As someone said, there is a channel
                selection feature in WJST. But that is only used to select which channel
                (or both) is being routed to the transmitter. I think this means that you
                could transmit simultaneously with two copies of WSJT on two different
                radios, but you cannot simul receive.

                I said 'I think you could' because I have not actually tried what someone
                said would work - namely putting two copies of WSJT into two separate
                directories and then running both at once. As a Windows programmer, I know
                that if it is done right, the detection of another copy at startup time has
                nothing to do with what folder it was run from. If there is another copy on
                the same computer it will be detected, and the second instance will not be
                executed. After all, that is the whole purpose - to prevent a second copy
                from running on the same computer and causing resource conflicts. So I will
                not say it won't work without trying it, but I am highly doubtful.

                The real answer, if ever there is to be one, is for Joe and Alberto (I2PHD)
                to change WSJT and Spectran to accommodate dual sound cards for both input
                and output, or to be able to direct each input and output channel of a
                single sound card from/to the appropriate instance of the program. And to
                allow multiple copies of each program to run at once. That is a lot of work
                though...

                73, Russ K2TXB

              • jabauzit
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 8, 2005
                  Hi Robin,

                  Glad you found a solution. When I made my post, I just remembered
                  that WSJT could use the right or left channel but did not remember
                  the exact details. Now, I wonder what the use of it is if does that
                  only for output and not input.

                  Jean-Claude, PJ2BVU