Re: [wsjtgroup] Min Requirements?

  • Catharinus PE1AHX in JO21OS
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2005
      Hi Jerry

      minimum requirements on 2m are a radio, an antenna and patience on both
      sides. Last week (no shower) I almost (should have) completed an 800 mile
      MS QSO on 144MHz with me running 5 watt into a 3wl and the other side
      running 3W into a 1.5wl. Only because I made a stupid mistake the QSO did
      not get complete.

      My normal power is 400W but I have made many QSO's with various stations
      running 3, 10, 15, 25W into antenna's as small as 1.5-2.5wl. Some were on
      random, some on sked with chat feedback (via http://www.on4kst.com). These
      were all stations around the apparent "optimum" distance of abt 600-950
      miles. Shorter and longer distances get more difficult and is where more
      power helps.

      In short, the main thing for MS is patience :))

      On EME best is to make a sked. Running abt 500W ERP is enough to work some
      stations like W5UN, KB8RQ, I2FAK, RN6BN. Especially the latter is
      exceptionally active working very small stations and when QRV can be found
      on the ON4KST site. See his station on
      http://www.73.ru/equipment/144/index.html

      73 and GL!
      Catharinus PE1AHX