Min Requirements?

  • jfelts13
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2005
      What are the very min requirements for a station to work WSJT? I do
      mean minimun too. Power, antenna etc. Looking into it, want to know.'

      Jerry
    • Charles Plunk AF4O
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2005
        Hi Jerry,

        I have seen some using as little as 50 watts to a small horizontal beam on
        2mtrs or to a dipole on 6mtrs. You can make qso's at these levels but being
        a weak signal mode, something more definitely helps your success ratio
        increase significantly. I have found a quiet (radio noise quiet) qth is very
        important (if you can't hear em you can't work em).

        The most I have ever used is 200 watts with a brick amp and a 13 el beam at
        50' on 2mtrs and 100 watts to a 4 el beam at 40'. No preamps (yet). Starting
        this less than 3 years ago, I currently have 53 grids on 6m and 77 grids on
        2m via meteor scatter (wsjt mode fsk441). And allot more via ssb & wsjt jt44
        or jt65.

        Hope that gives you an idea of what is needed. Of course you will need a pc
        with sound card and a psk31 type interface to your ssb vhf rig.

        73
        Chuck
        AF4O
        > What are the very min requirements for a station to work WSJT? I do
        > mean minimun too. Power, antenna etc. Looking into it, want to know.'
        >
        > Jerry

      • Bob Poortinga
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 16, 2005
          "Jerry" <nr5a@...> asks:

          > What are the very min requirements for a station to work WSJT? I do
          > mean minimun too. Power, antenna etc. Looking into it, want to know.'

          Absolute minimum? Hard to say. As a point of reference, I worked 9
          stations (unassisted random) during the NAHSMS contest with 100 watts
          and a simple loop antenna on 6m.

          73 de
          --
          Bob Poortinga K9SQL
          Bloomington, Indiana US
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 16, 2005
            --- jfelts13 <nr5a@...> wrote:

            > What are the very min requirements for a station to work WSJT? I do
            > mean minimun too. Power, antenna etc. Looking into it, want to know.

            Depends on who you ask. Some would say 192 elements on an az-el rotor
            fed with heliax, feedpoint mounted preamps and 1.5kW. I'm running an
            Icom 910 @100W, into an 11el yagi up 60' on 2M, and a 746 @100W into a
            3el yagi up 65' on 6M. Don't have a lot to show for it yet (have a few
            confirmed, and pings from a dozen or so other stations). My friend
            W5AOX has worked/confirmed way more than I have on 2M, and all he's
            running is an 8el yagi and 50 or so watts out of an Icom 706. He does
            mostly skeds, I try mostly random and tail ending. I believe when
            another DM65'er here, WB2FKO runs as a rover all he has is a halo or a
            loop of some sort on his car, and has many contacts to his credit. I'm
            sure others will chime in with more wisdom about station setups but
            like with any facet of the hobby, just doing it is a big step, you can
            always improve from there.

            =====
            Mark K5LXP
            Albuquerque, NM
          • john flinn
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 16, 2005
              Hi Jerry,
                  On 6 meters I run 50 watts output into a home brew 2 element Moxon yagi at 20 feet.  I can work just about anyone I hear.  I do have the capability of running 400 watts but I seldom use the amp because it doesn't seem to make much difference.  I have found when using WSJT modes for meteor scatter patiance is required and I give each attempt at least 30 minutes before I toss in the towel.  If you have the opportunity be sure to listen during the Random Hours on Saturday mornings.  You should easily be able to hear 2 or 3 stations.  Hope you have fun with meteor scatter and hope to meet you on one of the K1JT modes.
              73
              John W9SE
              What are the very min requirements for a station to work WSJT? I do
              mean minimun too. Power, antenna etc. Looking into it, want to know.'

              Jerry

              To unsubscribe, send an email to:

            • D. Scott MacKenzie

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 16, 2005
                  I've worked several stations on FSK441 who were running 25 watts to 11 elements at 20 feet, at distances around 1000 miles.  When the meteors are good it does not take a lot of power.  I do have to disagree with someone who said this is a weak signal mode.  Actually it is a strong signal mode, but the strong signals do not last long.  Almost every ping that is copyable is also hearable.  If not for the strength of the signals we would not be able to decode at such high speeds.

                  For weak signals we use much slower speeds, like hand sent CW, JT65, psk31, etc.

                  As far as working EME is concerned, a few stations have worked EME with 100 w and 5 elements, but it has all been with the 'super stations' like W5UN.  However I did work a station in Italy who was using a 6 element beam on the corner of his roof - no elevation.  He was running 1 KW however.  My antenna for EME is only 2 x 16 elements, so if I had 4 long yagis, I guess I could have worked him if he was running four or five hundred watts.  But with only 100 watts, you are going to be very lucky to work an 8 yagi station, and will most likely have to concentrate on guys running 16 or 32 yagis on 2 meters.

                  73, Russ K2TXB
                  I use a ICOM 756Pro, 100 Watts and a 5 element Cushcraft up 25 feet.  I know people who have done EME with similar equipment.  I would imagine 25 watts would work well, as long as a decent antenna
                  What are the very min requirements for a station to work WSJT? I do
                  mean minimun too. Power, antenna etc. Looking into it, want to know.'

                  Jerry

                  To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                  To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                • Catharinus PE1AHX in JO21OS
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 16, 2005
                    Hi Jerry

                    minimum requirements on 2m are a radio, an antenna and patience on both
                    sides. Last week (no shower) I almost (should have) completed an 800 mile
                    MS QSO on 144MHz with me running 5 watt into a 3wl and the other side
                    running 3W into a 1.5wl. Only because I made a stupid mistake the QSO did
                    not get complete.

                    My normal power is 400W but I have made many QSO's with various stations
                    running 3, 10, 15, 25W into antenna's as small as 1.5-2.5wl. Some were on
                    random, some on sked with chat feedback (via http://www.on4kst.com). These
                    were all stations around the apparent "optimum" distance of abt 600-950
                    miles. Shorter and longer distances get more difficult and is where more
                    power helps.

                    In short, the main thing for MS is patience :))

                    On EME best is to make a sked. Running abt 500W ERP is enough to work some
                    stations like W5UN, KB8RQ, I2FAK, RN6BN. Especially the latter is
                    exceptionally active working very small stations and when QRV can be found
                    on the ON4KST site. See his station on
                    http://www.73.ru/equipment/144/index.html

                    73 and GL!
                    Catharinus PE1AHX