RE: [wsjtgroup] Re: January Contest Plans ...

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005

      Snip: What are you supposed to do during the 2nd 30 minutes?

      Well last January, if I hadn’t heard any pings or wasn’t into a fsk441 qso I used the last half of the hour to look around on ssb for locals or take a break. Hi

      Of course you can call / listen the entire time but if stations in general focus on the thirty minute opportunities it enhances your chances of contacts. If you start a contact late into the 30 minute window, it could well run into the last half of the hour before you complete or if you tail-end a qso it might take you well into the last 30 minutes of the hour.

      This method being very different than a long list of disciplined schedules allows some flexibility for other activities. In the past I have found that many schedules are forgotten, not intentionally, but I never had a lot of success during contests with schedules and end up missing whatever activity was on the call frequencies.

      As you can probably tell, I don’t take Contesting too serious, I just want to make a few casual qso’s without being tied down to a list. I know many others can use a sked list effectively and perhaps those seriously engaged in the contest find it a better tool than randoms.

      But when I am not monitoring ssb, by rig will be on .260 or .140 calling or monitoring for pings.

      Tip

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
        --- Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...> wrote:

        > I used the last half of the hour to look around on ssb for locals
        > or take a break.... Of course you can call / listen the entire time

        OK, FB. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious.
        Thanks...

        =====
        Mark K5LXP
        Albuquerque, NM
      • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
          I guess it's that time already....

          I'll be operating at W2FU in FN13 I would really love to set up some
          skeds, especially to keep me company in the smaller hours of the night.
          Usually it works out better for the "normal person" (as if that really
          applies to any of us) if I can set up a sked with folks in the Central
          timezone right before they go to bed and folks in the Eastern tz (or
          Atlantic) first thing after they wake up. I actually liked doing that
          from the other side since I could do my WSJT (or HSCW back in the day)
          with a cup of coffee before a full day of labor-intensive
          contesting...or lawn mowing depending on conditions--that was Nebraska
          afterall. What better way to start your day than with a cup of coffee
          and couple new multipliers?

          If I remember correctly we'll have the following:
          6: 2x9el @ 125ft 1.5kW
          2: 2x17 @ 150ft 1.5kW
          222: 2x 20el(?) @ 100ft 1.5kW

          As far as available times, I'm totally open between midnight and 6am EST
          for skeds as of right now. I plan on working randoms when possible, but
          unfortunately I can't do much of that in this part of the country beyond
          7am or so. I know many of you are not big contesters, but this is a
          great time to get in an activity period with many stations that aren't
          on all that often. I'm sure some of the other multi's will be on all
          night as well to keep us all busy.

          Shoot me an email and we'll make it happen--

          Andy K0SM/2 (@W2FU FN13)

          Oh yeah--if anyone needs a QSL from a previous operation (either me at
          home or from W2FU WSJT stuff), drop me a note and I'll see to it
          personally. I'm sending out more DN81 and EN11 cards today.

          Mark Brueggemann wrote:

          >--- Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...> wrote:
          >

          >>I used the last half of the hour to look around on ssb for locals
          >>or take a break.... Of course you can call / listen the entire time
          >>

          >OK, FB. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious.
          >Thanks...
          >

          >=====
          >Mark K5LXP
          >Albuquerque, NM
          >

          >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
          >
          >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
          >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jonathan L. Rosner
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 15, 2005
            How about midnight EST? Frequencies to follow after I monitor for
            birdies. I am at Cornell right now and can't do it till next week when I
            get back to Chicago.

            73,
            Jon WO9S
            --
            Jonathan L. Rosner Phone: 773-702-7694
            Enrico Fermi Institute Fax: 773-702-8038
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 15, 2005
              John, what does your 6m and 2m station look like? I'm trying to
              remember, but it's been a while. If I remember, 6m should be a piece of
              cake. I just want to make sure that don't try to pack things too
              tightly around you. I think 6m at 0400z will work:
              50.253, your first ST/grids, contingent upon your confirmation at the
              home QTH.

              Will you be at Cornell the rest of the school year?
              Andy K0SM/2

              Jonathan L. Rosner wrote:

              >How about midnight EST? Frequencies to follow after I monitor for
              >birdies. I am at Cornell right now and can't do it till next week when I
              >get back to Chicago.
              >
              >73,
              >Jon WO9S

            • piotr pawlak
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 16, 2005
                Hi All , how about using our calling freq .140  .260 for random JT65B tropo contest QSOs ? I.E. : Contest Even Hours : FSK441a on 50.260 and JT65B on 144.140  . Contest Odd Hours : FSK441a on 144.140  and JT65B on 50.260 .  73 , Peter VE3SPW  FN04

                Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...> wrote:
                Several have requested a schedule during the January Contest however I
                am not sure about my available times so I will be using the following
                procedure copied from
                http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/WSJTGROUP/SpecialSessions.htm

                Contest Even Hours:
                First 30 minutes for calling / listening using FSK441 on 50.260 MHz.

                Contest Odd Hours:
                First 30 minutes for calling / listening using FSK441 144.140MHz.

                I will have both two and six meters. After RRR's we will be sending
                requests to QSY to the opposite band. i.e. QSY .146 or QSY .266 If you
                operate from a list of skeds, remember to listen on the call frequecies
                between contact attempts.

                We will be using Random Hour messages on the call frequencies and SH
                messages on all others. Remember during the contest to use "Grids" as
                reports!

                Hoping this is a good contest for meteor scatter propagation...

                      _  _____________________________________  _
                     / )|o     Randy Tipton (Tip) WA5UFH     o|( \
                    / / |             wa5ufh@...          | \ \
                  _( (_ |  _            778 CR 123         _  |  ) )_
                (((\ \>| / )       Edna, Texas 77957     ( \ |</ /)))
                  \       / Homepage: www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/   \       /
                   \    _/         Ph: 361 782 7686          \_    /
                  /   /  "The VHF bands are never dead, learn   \   \
                /   /   to use high speed meteor scatter"       \   \

                To unsubscribe, send an email to: