Re: January Contest Plans ...

  • Mark Brueggemann
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
      --- Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...> wrote:

      > Contest Even Hours:
      > First 30 minutes for calling / listening using FSK441 on 50.260 MHz.
      >
      > Contest Odd Hours:
      > First 30 minutes for calling / listening using FSK441 144.140MHz.

      What are you supposed to do during the 2nd 30 minutes?

      =====
      Mark K5LXP
      Albuquerque, NM
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005

        Snip: What are you supposed to do during the 2nd 30 minutes?

        Well last January, if I hadn’t heard any pings or wasn’t into a fsk441 qso I used the last half of the hour to look around on ssb for locals or take a break. Hi

        Of course you can call / listen the entire time but if stations in general focus on the thirty minute opportunities it enhances your chances of contacts. If you start a contact late into the 30 minute window, it could well run into the last half of the hour before you complete or if you tail-end a qso it might take you well into the last 30 minutes of the hour.

        This method being very different than a long list of disciplined schedules allows some flexibility for other activities. In the past I have found that many schedules are forgotten, not intentionally, but I never had a lot of success during contests with schedules and end up missing whatever activity was on the call frequencies.

        As you can probably tell, I don’t take Contesting too serious, I just want to make a few casual qso’s without being tied down to a list. I know many others can use a sked list effectively and perhaps those seriously engaged in the contest find it a better tool than randoms.

        But when I am not monitoring ssb, by rig will be on .260 or .140 calling or monitoring for pings.

        Tip

        > First 30 minutes for calling / listening using FSK441 on 50.260 MHz.
        >
        > Contest Odd Hours:
        > First 30 minutes for calling / listening using FSK441 144.140MHz.

        What are you supposed to do during the 2nd 30 minutes?

        =====
        Mark K5LXP
        Albuquerque, NM

        To unsubscribe, send an email to:

      • Mark Brueggemann
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
          --- Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...> wrote:

          > I used the last half of the hour to look around on ssb for locals
          > or take a break.... Of course you can call / listen the entire time

          OK, FB. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious.
          Thanks...

          =====
          Mark K5LXP
          Albuquerque, NM
        • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
            I guess it's that time already....

            I'll be operating at W2FU in FN13 I would really love to set up some
            skeds, especially to keep me company in the smaller hours of the night.
            Usually it works out better for the "normal person" (as if that really
            applies to any of us) if I can set up a sked with folks in the Central
            timezone right before they go to bed and folks in the Eastern tz (or
            Atlantic) first thing after they wake up. I actually liked doing that
            from the other side since I could do my WSJT (or HSCW back in the day)
            with a cup of coffee before a full day of labor-intensive
            contesting...or lawn mowing depending on conditions--that was Nebraska
            afterall. What better way to start your day than with a cup of coffee
            and couple new multipliers?

            If I remember correctly we'll have the following:
            6: 2x9el @ 125ft 1.5kW
            2: 2x17 @ 150ft 1.5kW
            222: 2x 20el(?) @ 100ft 1.5kW

            As far as available times, I'm totally open between midnight and 6am EST
            for skeds as of right now. I plan on working randoms when possible, but
            unfortunately I can't do much of that in this part of the country beyond
            7am or so. I know many of you are not big contesters, but this is a
            great time to get in an activity period with many stations that aren't
            on all that often. I'm sure some of the other multi's will be on all
            night as well to keep us all busy.

            Shoot me an email and we'll make it happen--

            Andy K0SM/2 (@W2FU FN13)

            Oh yeah--if anyone needs a QSL from a previous operation (either me at
            home or from W2FU WSJT stuff), drop me a note and I'll see to it
            personally. I'm sending out more DN81 and EN11 cards today.

            Mark Brueggemann wrote:

            >--- Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...> wrote:
            >

            >>I used the last half of the hour to look around on ssb for locals
            >>or take a break.... Of course you can call / listen the entire time
            >>

            >OK, FB. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious.
            >Thanks...
            >

            >=====
            >Mark K5LXP
            >Albuquerque, NM
            >

            >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
            >
            >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
            >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jonathan L. Rosner
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 15, 2005
              How about midnight EST? Frequencies to follow after I monitor for
              birdies. I am at Cornell right now and can't do it till next week when I
              get back to Chicago.

              73,
              Jon WO9S
              --
              Jonathan L. Rosner Phone: 773-702-7694
              Enrico Fermi Institute Fax: 773-702-8038
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 15, 2005
                John, what does your 6m and 2m station look like? I'm trying to
                remember, but it's been a while. If I remember, 6m should be a piece of
                cake. I just want to make sure that don't try to pack things too
                tightly around you. I think 6m at 0400z will work:
                50.253, your first ST/grids, contingent upon your confirmation at the
                home QTH.

                Will you be at Cornell the rest of the school year?
                Andy K0SM/2

                Jonathan L. Rosner wrote:

                >How about midnight EST? Frequencies to follow after I monitor for
                >birdies. I am at Cornell right now and can't do it till next week when I
                >get back to Chicago.
                >
                >73,
                >Jon WO9S

              • piotr pawlak
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 16, 2005
                  Hi All , how about using our calling freq .140  .260 for random JT65B tropo contest QSOs ? I.E. : Contest Even Hours : FSK441a on 50.260 and JT65B on 144.140  . Contest Odd Hours : FSK441a on 144.140  and JT65B on 50.260 .  73 , Peter VE3SPW  FN04

                  Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...> wrote:
                  Several have requested a schedule during the January Contest however I
                  am not sure about my available times so I will be using the following
                  procedure copied from
                  http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/WSJTGROUP/SpecialSessions.htm

                  Contest Even Hours:
                  First 30 minutes for calling / listening using FSK441 on 50.260 MHz.

                  Contest Odd Hours:
                  First 30 minutes for calling / listening using FSK441 144.140MHz.

                  I will have both two and six meters. After RRR's we will be sending
                  requests to QSY to the opposite band. i.e. QSY .146 or QSY .266 If you
                  operate from a list of skeds, remember to listen on the call frequecies
                  between contact attempts.

                  We will be using Random Hour messages on the call frequencies and SH
                  messages on all others. Remember during the contest to use "Grids" as
                  reports!

                  Hoping this is a good contest for meteor scatter propagation...

                        _  _____________________________________  _
                       / )|o     Randy Tipton (Tip) WA5UFH     o|( \
                      / / |             wa5ufh@...          | \ \
                    _( (_ |  _            778 CR 123         _  |  ) )_
                  (((\ \>| / )       Edna, Texas 77957     ( \ |</ /)))
                    \       / Homepage: www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/   \       /
                     \    _/         Ph: 361 782 7686          \_    /
                    /   /  "The VHF bands are never dead, learn   \   \
                  /   /   to use high speed meteor scatter"       \   \

                  To unsubscribe, send an email to: