Re: [wsjtgroup] Rigblaster and Dell Computers

  • w5uwb2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
      Del:

      Very interesting! I got a new Dell computer last year and had no problem whatsoever with my rigblaster. Guess I am just lucky?

      73 and HNY

      John W5UWB
    • Bob Poortinga
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
        "Del Schier, K1UHF" <k1uhf@...> writes:

        > We do not know of anyone that has found a solution by talking to Dell
        > support. It is clearly a problem caused by Dell computer that is due to
        > some bundling of software that is installed with their Windows XP
        > installation.

        A ham friend of mine got a new computer for Christmas (not sure of the
        brand). It had lots of problems with his Rigblaster. He finally
        discovered that, by default, the system was configured for a UPS
        which uses COM1. To disable, he went to 'Settings -> Control Panel ->
        Power Options' and clicked on the UPS tab.

        --
        Bob Poortinga K9SQL
        Bloomington, Indiana US
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
          I had a friend fix problem by disabling the com ports from the device
          manager so that the OS would "find new hardware" upon reboot and
          reinstall the drivers.

          Another thought might be to play around with the settings in the
          rigblaster--if you have it set to key on both DTR and RTS, try one or
          the other and see if that fixes it. It might be that only one of the
          pins is left in a high state leaving the other usable.

          Andy K0SM

        • Bruce Brackin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
            New Dell with XP here and no problems with RigBlaster Plus or several
            homebrew interfaces. I moved old dos utility program FIXCOM from 98
            machine when I set new one up and it runs from bat file (called from
            startup folder) at bootup. Available for download at

            http://www.g3vfp.org/download.html

            You can make bat file to clear any or all com ports. your milage may vary.

            Bruce, N5SIX