RE: [wsjtgroup] Rigblaster and Dell Computers

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005

      After posting I remembered that early in 2004 I had a virus. I ended up doing a complete “re-install” of Windows XP using the Dell XP CD’s. I did not have to make any changes to the Device Manager setting for the Com Port used for WSJT after replacing the Operating System.

      Maybe someone who has a better understanding of Computers can make some sense out of this but it appears the Dell XP CD is not a problem.

      Just wanted to set the record straight…

      WA5UFH

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
        Part of any XP re-install I think windows looks for updates. I have fixed many XP stuck comm port by doing all the win updates. I never figured out which one fixed the tbl though.

        73 Eric Dodson WB5APD Dahlonega Ga. EM84ak
        My Ham Radio Web Site http://home.alltel.net/wb5apd

        My Watch Collector Web Site is http://home.alltel.net/wb5apd/watches.html

                                                   144mhz Station
        8877/1.5kw, 2x17 @90'/No EL, ERP=87,990 [FSK441-JT65-SSB-CW]

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
          Del:

          Very interesting! I got a new Dell computer last year and had no problem whatsoever with my rigblaster. Guess I am just lucky?

          73 and HNY

          John W5UWB
        • Bob Poortinga
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
            "Del Schier, K1UHF" <k1uhf@...> writes:

            > We do not know of anyone that has found a solution by talking to Dell
            > support. It is clearly a problem caused by Dell computer that is due to
            > some bundling of software that is installed with their Windows XP
            > installation.

            A ham friend of mine got a new computer for Christmas (not sure of the
            brand). It had lots of problems with his Rigblaster. He finally
            discovered that, by default, the system was configured for a UPS
            which uses COM1. To disable, he went to 'Settings -> Control Panel ->
            Power Options' and clicked on the UPS tab.

            --
            Bob Poortinga K9SQL
            Bloomington, Indiana US
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
              I had a friend fix problem by disabling the com ports from the device
              manager so that the OS would "find new hardware" upon reboot and
              reinstall the drivers.

              Another thought might be to play around with the settings in the
              rigblaster--if you have it set to key on both DTR and RTS, try one or
              the other and see if that fixes it. It might be that only one of the
              pins is left in a high state leaving the other usable.

              Andy K0SM

            • Bruce Brackin
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                New Dell with XP here and no problems with RigBlaster Plus or several
                homebrew interfaces. I moved old dos utility program FIXCOM from 98
                machine when I set new one up and it runs from bat file (called from
                startup folder) at bootup. Available for download at

                http://www.g3vfp.org/download.html

                You can make bat file to clear any or all com ports. your milage may vary.

                Bruce, N5SIX