RE: [wsjtgroup] Rigblaster and Dell Computers

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005

      I have a Dell 8250 and corrected my problem by following Eric’s steps… It’s been way too long ago for me to remember what my setting were but I do remember changing my setting in Device Manager to match Eric’s settings… Anyone with a new Dell should document what the “Factory Default” setting are and document them …. i.e. sent to Eric …

      Below copy / paste of Eric’s instruction from his web page…

      Tip

      Here is how I have my Windows Devise Manager "properties/port settings" set for the Com Port I use for
      WSJT in Windows XP

      Bits Per Second = 9600
      Data Bits = 8
      Parity =None
      Stop Bits =1
      Flow Control =Xon/Xoff
      Advanced Tab
      Use FIFO Buffers 16550 UART = checked

      *Note also in WSJT "Setup" be sure "Alernate PTT Logic"  has NO check mark by it

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005

        After posting I remembered that early in 2004 I had a virus. I ended up doing a complete “re-install” of Windows XP using the Dell XP CD’s. I did not have to make any changes to the Device Manager setting for the Com Port used for WSJT after replacing the Operating System.

        Maybe someone who has a better understanding of Computers can make some sense out of this but it appears the Dell XP CD is not a problem.

        Just wanted to set the record straight…

        WA5UFH

        Has anyone had a problem with Dell laptops running XP and using a
        RigBlaster? It lights the cw light all the time with the Rigblaster "off"
        and keys constantly the 756pro when it is turned "on".  Thanks for your help
        in advance.

        Scott
        KB0FHP

        To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        To unsubscribe, send an email to:

      • ERIC DODSON WB5APD
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
          Part of any XP re-install I think windows looks for updates. I have fixed many XP stuck comm port by doing all the win updates. I never figured out which one fixed the tbl though.

          73 Eric Dodson WB5APD Dahlonega Ga. EM84ak
          My Ham Radio Web Site http://home.alltel.net/wb5apd

          My Watch Collector Web Site is http://home.alltel.net/wb5apd/watches.html

                                                     144mhz Station
          8877/1.5kw, 2x17 @90'/No EL, ERP=87,990 [FSK441-JT65-SSB-CW]

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
            Del:

            Very interesting! I got a new Dell computer last year and had no problem whatsoever with my rigblaster. Guess I am just lucky?

            73 and HNY

            John W5UWB
          • Bob Poortinga
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
              "Del Schier, K1UHF" <k1uhf@...> writes:

              > We do not know of anyone that has found a solution by talking to Dell
              > support. It is clearly a problem caused by Dell computer that is due to
              > some bundling of software that is installed with their Windows XP
              > installation.

              A ham friend of mine got a new computer for Christmas (not sure of the
              brand). It had lots of problems with his Rigblaster. He finally
              discovered that, by default, the system was configured for a UPS
              which uses COM1. To disable, he went to 'Settings -> Control Panel ->
              Power Options' and clicked on the UPS tab.

              --
              Bob Poortinga K9SQL
              Bloomington, Indiana US
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                I had a friend fix problem by disabling the com ports from the device
                manager so that the OS would "find new hardware" upon reboot and
                reinstall the drivers.

                Another thought might be to play around with the settings in the
                rigblaster--if you have it set to key on both DTR and RTS, try one or
                the other and see if that fixes it. It might be that only one of the
                pins is left in a high state leaving the other usable.

                Andy K0SM

              • Bruce Brackin
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                  New Dell with XP here and no problems with RigBlaster Plus or several
                  homebrew interfaces. I moved old dos utility program FIXCOM from 98
                  machine when I set new one up and it runs from bat file (called from
                  startup folder) at bootup. Available for download at

                  http://www.g3vfp.org/download.html

                  You can make bat file to clear any or all com ports. your milage may vary.

                  Bruce, N5SIX