RE: [wsjtgroup] Rigblaster and Dell Computers

  • Del Schier, K1UHF
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
      Hello Scott,

      This is a problem we have heard about at West Mountain Radio hundreds of times.  As far as we know all Dell computers that are supplied with Windows XP set RTS and/or DTR high after boot up.  This causes a problem keying PTT and CW with all brands of interfaces even home brew as they are all designed to work with WSJT and the other 100 or so amateur radio sound card programs.

      We do not know of anyone that has found a solution by talking to Dell support.  It is clearly a problem caused by Dell computer that is due to some bundling of software that is installed with their Windows XP installation.

      You can do a Windows safe start to see if the problem goes away, safe start loads only the essential Windows components.  If it does not go away after safe start then it is a problem with their BIOS.

      We would love to know a fix for the Dell computer problem.  We have had customers return their new Dell computers and we have had a report that re-formatting the hard drive and doing a fresh Windows installation from a Microsoft retail version, not the Dell discs, will fix it.

      73, Del
      K1UHF

      Everything below 50MHz is D.C. !!!

      FN31fh 6M, 2M, 222, 432, 903, 1.2, 2.3, 10.3.......144 EME
      http://www.qsl.net/k1uhf
      http://www.csflyers.org

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005

        I have a Dell 8250 and corrected my problem by following Eric’s steps… It’s been way too long ago for me to remember what my setting were but I do remember changing my setting in Device Manager to match Eric’s settings… Anyone with a new Dell should document what the “Factory Default” setting are and document them …. i.e. sent to Eric …

        Below copy / paste of Eric’s instruction from his web page…

        Tip

        Here is how I have my Windows Devise Manager "properties/port settings" set for the Com Port I use for
        WSJT in Windows XP

        Bits Per Second = 9600
        Data Bits = 8
        Parity =None
        Stop Bits =1
        Flow Control =Xon/Xoff
        Advanced Tab
        Use FIFO Buffers 16550 UART = checked

        *Note also in WSJT "Setup" be sure "Alernate PTT Logic"  has NO check mark by it

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005

          After posting I remembered that early in 2004 I had a virus. I ended up doing a complete “re-install” of Windows XP using the Dell XP CD’s. I did not have to make any changes to the Device Manager setting for the Com Port used for WSJT after replacing the Operating System.

          Maybe someone who has a better understanding of Computers can make some sense out of this but it appears the Dell XP CD is not a problem.

          Just wanted to set the record straight…

          WA5UFH

          Has anyone had a problem with Dell laptops running XP and using a
          RigBlaster? It lights the cw light all the time with the Rigblaster "off"
          and keys constantly the 756pro when it is turned "on".  Thanks for your help
          in advance.

          Scott
          KB0FHP

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        • ERIC DODSON WB5APD
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
            Part of any XP re-install I think windows looks for updates. I have fixed many XP stuck comm port by doing all the win updates. I never figured out which one fixed the tbl though.

            73 Eric Dodson WB5APD Dahlonega Ga. EM84ak
            My Ham Radio Web Site http://home.alltel.net/wb5apd

            My Watch Collector Web Site is http://home.alltel.net/wb5apd/watches.html

                                                       144mhz Station
            8877/1.5kw, 2x17 @90'/No EL, ERP=87,990 [FSK441-JT65-SSB-CW]

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
              Del:

              Very interesting! I got a new Dell computer last year and had no problem whatsoever with my rigblaster. Guess I am just lucky?

              73 and HNY

              John W5UWB
            • Bob Poortinga
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                "Del Schier, K1UHF" <k1uhf@...> writes:

                > We do not know of anyone that has found a solution by talking to Dell
                > support. It is clearly a problem caused by Dell computer that is due to
                > some bundling of software that is installed with their Windows XP
                > installation.

                A ham friend of mine got a new computer for Christmas (not sure of the
                brand). It had lots of problems with his Rigblaster. He finally
                discovered that, by default, the system was configured for a UPS
                which uses COM1. To disable, he went to 'Settings -> Control Panel ->
                Power Options' and clicked on the UPS tab.

                --
                Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                Bloomington, Indiana US
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                  I had a friend fix problem by disabling the com ports from the device
                  manager so that the OS would "find new hardware" upon reboot and
                  reinstall the drivers.

                  Another thought might be to play around with the settings in the
                  rigblaster--if you have it set to key on both DTR and RTS, try one or
                  the other and see if that fixes it. It might be that only one of the
                  pins is left in a high state leaving the other usable.

                  Andy K0SM

                • Bruce Brackin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                    New Dell with XP here and no problems with RigBlaster Plus or several
                    homebrew interfaces. I moved old dos utility program FIXCOM from 98
                    machine when I set new one up and it runs from bat file (called from
                    startup folder) at bootup. Available for download at

                    http://www.g3vfp.org/download.html

                    You can make bat file to clear any or all com ports. your milage may vary.

                    Bruce, N5SIX