Re: [wsjtgroup] Rigblaster and Dell Computers

  • aflowers@frontiernet.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2005
      Scott,

      You may have an XP bug that holds com port in a high state. If the
      problem goes away when the computer turns off this is a good bet:
      http://home.alltel.net/wb5apd/wsjt.html

      Eric has put together an excellent help site for all of the little
      computer things that will drive you crazy.

      Andy K0SM

      Quoting "D. Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@...>:

      > Has anyone had a problem with Dell laptops running XP and using a
      > RigBlaster? It lights the cw light all the time with the Rigblaster
      > "off"
      > and keys constantly the 756pro when it is turned "on". Thanks for
      > your help
      > in advance.
      >
      > Scott
      > KB0FHP

    • ERIC DODSON WB5APD
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2005
        Scott

            Try 2 things. 1st go to windows update and be sure u have all the updates for xp. The preloade4d XP w/o the updates will do that.

        If that does not work try this.

        RIGblaster stuck in transmit after Windows/XP boots
        New HP Computers having Windows/XP pre-loaded have been reported by several RIGblaster owners as causing a problem that previously only happened on Windows/ME. After boot up the DTR line of the Com ports are in a high state causing the RIGblaster to keep your rig keyed up. If you have Windows/XP, pre-loaded on a new HP Computer here is a possible fix for this problem.
        The solution from HP Tech Support suggests going to the Device Manager and removing all the Communications Port(COMx)s, as listed under Ports (COM & LPT), then re-boot Windows/XP and it will reinstall the drivers and the problem should go away.

        73 Eric Dodson WB5APD Dahlonega Ga. EM84ak
        My Ham Radio Web Site http://home.alltel.net/wb5apd

        My Watch Collector Web Site is http://home.alltel.net/wb5apd/watches.html

                                                   144mhz Station
        8877/1.5kw, 2x17 @90'/No EL, ERP=87,990 [FSK441-JT65-SSB-CW]

        Has anyone had a problem with Dell laptops running XP and using a
        RigBlaster? It lights the cw light all the time with the Rigblaster "off"
        and keys constantly the 756pro when it is turned "on".  Thanks for your help
        in advance.

        Scott
        KB0FHP

        To unsubscribe, send an email to:

      • Russ K2TXB
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2005
          Scott, in addition to what others have said, I am using a Dell Inspirion
          600m, running XP with SP2, and it works just fine for me with WSJT (to my
          home made interface, not Rig Blaster, but same thing as far as keying goes).

          So I am sure you will be able to make it work - probably follow Bob,
          WB5APD's info and all will be well.

          73, Russ K2TXB

        • Del Schier, K1UHF
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
            Hello Scott,

            This is a problem we have heard about at West Mountain Radio hundreds of times.  As far as we know all Dell computers that are supplied with Windows XP set RTS and/or DTR high after boot up.  This causes a problem keying PTT and CW with all brands of interfaces even home brew as they are all designed to work with WSJT and the other 100 or so amateur radio sound card programs.

            We do not know of anyone that has found a solution by talking to Dell support.  It is clearly a problem caused by Dell computer that is due to some bundling of software that is installed with their Windows XP installation.

            You can do a Windows safe start to see if the problem goes away, safe start loads only the essential Windows components.  If it does not go away after safe start then it is a problem with their BIOS.

            We would love to know a fix for the Dell computer problem.  We have had customers return their new Dell computers and we have had a report that re-formatting the hard drive and doing a fresh Windows installation from a Microsoft retail version, not the Dell discs, will fix it.

            73, Del
            K1UHF

            Everything below 50MHz is D.C. !!!

            FN31fh 6M, 2M, 222, 432, 903, 1.2, 2.3, 10.3.......144 EME
            http://www.qsl.net/k1uhf
            http://www.csflyers.org

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005

              I have a Dell 8250 and corrected my problem by following Eric’s steps… It’s been way too long ago for me to remember what my setting were but I do remember changing my setting in Device Manager to match Eric’s settings… Anyone with a new Dell should document what the “Factory Default” setting are and document them …. i.e. sent to Eric …

              Below copy / paste of Eric’s instruction from his web page…

              Tip

              Here is how I have my Windows Devise Manager "properties/port settings" set for the Com Port I use for
              WSJT in Windows XP

              Bits Per Second = 9600
              Data Bits = 8
              Parity =None
              Stop Bits =1
              Flow Control =Xon/Xoff
              Advanced Tab
              Use FIFO Buffers 16550 UART = checked

              *Note also in WSJT "Setup" be sure "Alernate PTT Logic"  has NO check mark by it

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005

                After posting I remembered that early in 2004 I had a virus. I ended up doing a complete “re-install” of Windows XP using the Dell XP CD’s. I did not have to make any changes to the Device Manager setting for the Com Port used for WSJT after replacing the Operating System.

                Maybe someone who has a better understanding of Computers can make some sense out of this but it appears the Dell XP CD is not a problem.

                Just wanted to set the record straight…

                WA5UFH

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                    Del:

                    Very interesting! I got a new Dell computer last year and had no problem whatsoever with my rigblaster. Guess I am just lucky?

                    73 and HNY

                    John W5UWB
                  • Bob Poortinga
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                      "Del Schier, K1UHF" <k1uhf@...> writes:

                      > We do not know of anyone that has found a solution by talking to Dell
                      > support. It is clearly a problem caused by Dell computer that is due to
                      > some bundling of software that is installed with their Windows XP
                      > installation.

                      A ham friend of mine got a new computer for Christmas (not sure of the
                      brand). It had lots of problems with his Rigblaster. He finally
                      discovered that, by default, the system was configured for a UPS
                      which uses COM1. To disable, he went to 'Settings -> Control Panel ->
                      Power Options' and clicked on the UPS tab.

                      --
                      Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                      Bloomington, Indiana US
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                        I had a friend fix problem by disabling the com ports from the device
                        manager so that the OS would "find new hardware" upon reboot and
                        reinstall the drivers.

                        Another thought might be to play around with the settings in the
                        rigblaster--if you have it set to key on both DTR and RTS, try one or
                        the other and see if that fixes it. It might be that only one of the
                        pins is left in a high state leaving the other usable.

                        Andy K0SM

                      • Bruce Brackin
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                          New Dell with XP here and no problems with RigBlaster Plus or several
                          homebrew interfaces. I moved old dos utility program FIXCOM from 98
                          machine when I set new one up and it runs from bat file (called from
                          startup folder) at bootup. Available for download at

                          http://www.g3vfp.org/download.html

                          You can make bat file to clear any or all com ports. your milage may vary.

                          Bruce, N5SIX