2 Meter Fall/WInter Sprint Dec 29th ...

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 27, 2004
      Don't forget the "Fall/Winter" Sprint Wednesday the 29th (01:00 - 05:00
      UTC). That corresponds to Tuesday night... This time of the year meteors
      are not at their best so expect a challenging period but the more who
      participate the easier it will be to make completions.

      This is an excellent time to practice random contacts and prepare for
      working "Rovers" like K0SM ,N5SIX, N0PB, WB2FKO and many others. Some
      stations will be working qso's on the call frequency and others
      listening on announced frequencies. i.e. using the Up|Dn method of cq
      (CQ D7 WA5UFH etc)

      Remember if you use the call frequency for completing qso's to append
      messages 3,4 & 5 with the suffix or prefix of the stations call you are
      in qso with. i.e. UFH 26 ; APD RRR ; JT 73

      The Fall/Winter Sprints alternate between 50 and 144MHz. For additional
      details you can look at the WSJTGROUP Webpage.

      Tip
    • aflowers@frontiernet.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 27, 2004
        Hmm. Seems like a good time to get out in the rover while it is still
        intact. Perhaps this would be a good day to scope out a place in EN00?

        Any other rovers planning on being on during the sprint?
        Andy K0SM

        Quoting Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...>:

        > Don't forget the "Fall/Winter" Sprint Wednesday the 29th (01:00 -
        > 05:00
        > UTC). That corresponds to Tuesday night... This time of the year
        > meteors
        > are not at their best so expect a challenging period but the more who
        > participate the easier it will be to make completions.
        >
        > This is an excellent time to practice random contacts and prepare for
        > working "Rovers" like K0SM ,N5SIX, N0PB, WB2FKO and many others. Some
        > stations will be working qso's on the call frequency and others
        > listening on announced frequencies. i.e. using the Up|Dn method of cq
        > (CQ D7 WA5UFH etc)
        >
        > Remember if you use the call frequency for completing qso's to append
        > messages 3,4 & 5 with the suffix or prefix of the stations call you
        > are
        > in qso with. i.e. UFH 26 ; APD RRR ; JT 73
        >
        > The Fall/Winter Sprints alternate between 50 and 144MHz. For
        > additional
        > details you can look at the WSJTGROUP Webpage.
        >
        > Tip

      • N0PB Phil
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2004
          DN80,81,82 and 83 sound nice Andy.. Along with DM99.. Hi Hi
          It would be interesting to have a 6 and 2 meter Sprint time set up for a
          weekend sometime.
          That would allow more some of us to do some wanted grids during a high
          activity time. Just a thought.
          From what I heard your station was working very well. Congrats on your
          success !!
          I plan to do some more after the first of the year hopefully.
          73 and have fun !!
          Phil N0PB

          > Hmm. Seems like a good time to get out in the rover while it is still
          > intact. Perhaps this would be a good day to scope out a place in EN00?
          >
          > Any other rovers planning on being on during the sprint?
          > Andy K0SM
          >

          > Quoting Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...>:
          >

          > > Don't forget the "Fall/Winter" Sprint Wednesday the 29th (01:00 -
          > > 05:00
          > > UTC). That corresponds to Tuesday night... This time of the year
          > > meteors
          > > are not at their best so expect a challenging period but the more who
          > > participate the easier it will be to make completions.
          > >
          > > This is an excellent time to practice random contacts and prepare for
          > > working "Rovers" like K0SM ,N5SIX, N0PB, WB2FKO and many others. Some
          > > stations will be working qso's on the call frequency and others
          > > listening on announced frequencies. i.e. using the Up|Dn method of cq
          > > (CQ D7 WA5UFH etc)
          > >
          > > Remember if you use the call frequency for completing qso's to append
          > > messages 3,4 & 5 with the suffix or prefix of the stations call you
          > > are
          > > in qso with. i.e. UFH 26 ; APD RRR ; JT 73
          > >
          > > The Fall/Winter Sprints alternate between 50 and 144MHz. For
          > > additional
          > > details you can look at the WSJTGROUP Webpage.
          > >
          > > Tip

          > > Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
          > > NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • john_km5es
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2004
            I agree with Phil it sure would be nice if these sprints would come
            on the weekends, I think you would have more activity especially
            from those of us that work during the week. Thanks Andy for sharing
            DN81 with us. I still could use EN11 and EN02.

            73
            John KM5ES

          • Randy Tipton
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2004

              This year there were 51 Random Hour Activity Periods on Saturday Mornings for both Six and Two meters. Participation has been good with well over 150 stations know to have operated at least one session during the year. Also there are the two major Meteor Scatter Contests each year along with the Fall / Winter Sprints…

              The Fall / Winter Sprints (last Wednesday of Fall / Winter Months) were suggested for additional times during winter months (when it was thought operators would have indoor time to spare) for making random contacts and just having fun. This also provided a time for those who couldn’t make the weekly Random Hour on Saturdays to operate and qualify for the RQA.

              Members have not taken advantage of the Random QSO Award which is available for working Random Contacts during any of the above mentioned activity periods. This is a “worthy” award, fit for framing and not too difficult to qualify for. The same is true for the Century Grid Award.

              I think what Phil and John are asking for is an activity period that would be on a weekend with priority given for “Rovers”.  This might be easily accomplished if stations who are planning rover expeditions notify the WSJTGROUP in advance so it can be announced. (At least a week or more in advance) The timing would be whatever the “Rover Stations” asked for. If two or three Rovers could be out at one time that would be better. Is this what the “Rover Capable” stations would like to see? Your comments please to the list.

              What is already available is the January VHF Contest. Can you imagine the fun if 150 plus stations operated unassisted during the sweepstake? There is a procedure for working the January and September VHF contests on the webpage, this would beat schedules if there was participation.

              WSJTGROUP Info Page: http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

              Thanks for your input Phil and John. This “Rover Driven Activity Period” I think has wheels. Comments!

              Tip

              WA5UFH