Re: [wsjtgroup] laptop RFI--help!

  • Bruce Brackin
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
      Andy - mine is older 166 MHz 380D with big 48 MB ram - OK for FSK and
      JT6m and JT44 (6-8 sec decode) but lets just say you probably don't want
      to run much JT65! No USB but little newer models added it. I run a
      Eiger Lab PCMCIA serial card to get 2nd com port for GPS. Not sure
      about other Thinkpads but this has unbeleivable accurate realtime
      clock. I thought I'd be smart and get a PCMCIA USB card for different
      mouse style GPS I have and found out you need 32 bit card slot to get
      USB to work - older Thinkpads had 16 bit slots so one thing to ask about.

      If I upgrade the mobile PC, it will be "new" old Thinkpad - the stick
      mouse/pointer is easier to work on the road than touchpad. Several
      used/referbed places have some up to 500-700 Mhz for good price now.

      Bruce, N5SIX
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
        Hi Andy

        I'm using a 560x that I picked up on ebay for around $100.

        It's certainly no speed demon, but seems fine for our purposes. My main
        requirements were running WSJT, logging [Roverlog], voice and CW keying,
        and eventually HamIM... Pretty heavy load, huh?

        So far the 560x has done it all, except HamIM that I haven't taken time
        to get running yet. Anyway, the 560x has a Pentium 233MHz, 64Mb RAM,
        and 2 Gig HD.

        Anything else I can help with just drop me a line.
        Dan

        --
        K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
        Check out the Rover Resource Page at: http://www.qsl.net/n9rla
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
          Forgot to mention, the DC cable doesn't make noise unless it's passing
          current. For example, I used to leave it plugged in, and just unplug it
          from the computer when making QSO's...

          73
          Dan

          --
          K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
          Check out the Rover Resource Page at: http://www.qsl.net/n9rla
          List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
        • Russ K2TXB
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
            Hi Andy, I had a Thinkpad model TP-600E that I used to use for portable and
            auxillary WSJT operations. It was a 330 MHz Pentium 2, and while it worked
            ok, it was pretty slow for JT65. You definitely had to use the 'slow CPU'
            option. But I concur that it had no noise. I think one could probably pick
            up a used TP-600? in the range of $300 and up.

            My new laptop is a Dell Inspiron 600M, and it is bloody fast. Decodes JT65
            sequences in about a second (it took the thinkpad up to 20 seconds), and
            FSK441 decodes just about instantaneously. I have noticed no noise from the
            Dell, either with or without the charger, but have not yet used it in a
            portable environment. It does sit right beside my 2 two meter receivers,
            and it is connected to the internet via RF, and no interference either way.

            By the way, the Thinkpad, new, cost me over $4200, while the new Dell with
            all kinds of accessories like an extra portable (car/airplane/wall) charger,
            leather carrying case, docking station, 1.6 Ghz Pentium 4, 60 Gig hard
            drive, 512 meg memory, 2 meg USB ram drive, and wireless mouse, cost only
            around $1800. See, you can get more for less. I would have bought another
            Thinkpad, but the current models just did not stand up to the Dell in terms
            of features, performance, or price.

            73, Russ K2TXB

          • Mike H
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
              I used the Thinkpad 760 with a 166 MHz processor, 64 Mb, and W95. It was
              $200 on ebay. I recall that it took about 4-5 seconds to decode FSK441a.
              I ran it from the same deep cycle battery that powered the radio. Never
              got near the cig lighter adaptor. To make this work, I connected a female
              cig adaptor to the battery to accomodate the laptop's 12V power cord.
              Note that I use 'past tense' here as most of my WSJT rover equipment was
              stolen this past summer when I got burglarized. Andy: if you'd like the
              female cig adaptor, which was left behind, let me know.

              Mike WB2FKO
            • SP8RHP
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 20, 2004
                Hi All...
                I have similar problem how Andy K0SM...
                He manifests itself this : noise changes during bowing matrix (screen) from S1 -S5-6.
                How do to remedy this ??? .
                Someone had similar problems maybe and it knows how from this to fight ? .
                Laptoop this HP4150 366MHz 192RAM...
                I used once Toshiba Satellite Pro 166MHz and nothing of the sort did not it notice ..
                enlargement of level of noise .
                Metric TRX - HP4150 ~ 2 feets...
                Bob SP8RHP

                --