Re: [wsjtgroup] laptop RFI--help!

  • aflowers@frontiernet.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
      It seems like most folks have been using thinkpads in a rover
      environment. Can you throw some model #'s at me that are known to be
      quiet? I might go down to the used computer place and see if I can dig
      something up. If worse comes to worse I can set the antenna on a
      portable mast away from the car, but I'd like to avoid doing that if I
      can.

      Andy K0SM

      Quoting Bruce Brackin <bbrackin@...>:

      > Andy - not sure how well behaved the Compac would be, but I run older
      > Thinkpad right off lighter out (~13.6 vdc). Its charger is 16 or 17
      > vdc
      > and while it wont top off charge, it runs weeks/months at a time fed
      > with 13.6 in the truck. Until I had some amp grounding issues, I'd
      > never needed any beads on power cord and that was not the real
      > problem
      > after the fact. I try to remember to bring it in occasionally and
      > use
      > real charger, particularly in cold weather.
      >
      > Bruce, N5SIX

    • Bruce Brackin
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
        Andy - mine is older 166 MHz 380D with big 48 MB ram - OK for FSK and
        JT6m and JT44 (6-8 sec decode) but lets just say you probably don't want
        to run much JT65! No USB but little newer models added it. I run a
        Eiger Lab PCMCIA serial card to get 2nd com port for GPS. Not sure
        about other Thinkpads but this has unbeleivable accurate realtime
        clock. I thought I'd be smart and get a PCMCIA USB card for different
        mouse style GPS I have and found out you need 32 bit card slot to get
        USB to work - older Thinkpads had 16 bit slots so one thing to ask about.

        If I upgrade the mobile PC, it will be "new" old Thinkpad - the stick
        mouse/pointer is easier to work on the road than touchpad. Several
        used/referbed places have some up to 500-700 Mhz for good price now.

        Bruce, N5SIX
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
          Hi Andy

          I'm using a 560x that I picked up on ebay for around $100.

          It's certainly no speed demon, but seems fine for our purposes. My main
          requirements were running WSJT, logging [Roverlog], voice and CW keying,
          and eventually HamIM... Pretty heavy load, huh?

          So far the 560x has done it all, except HamIM that I haven't taken time
          to get running yet. Anyway, the 560x has a Pentium 233MHz, 64Mb RAM,
          and 2 Gig HD.

          Anything else I can help with just drop me a line.
          Dan

          --
          K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
          Check out the Rover Resource Page at: http://www.qsl.net/n9rla
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
            Forgot to mention, the DC cable doesn't make noise unless it's passing
            current. For example, I used to leave it plugged in, and just unplug it
            from the computer when making QSO's...

            73
            Dan

            --
            K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
            Check out the Rover Resource Page at: http://www.qsl.net/n9rla
            List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
          • Russ K2TXB
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
              Hi Andy, I had a Thinkpad model TP-600E that I used to use for portable and
              auxillary WSJT operations. It was a 330 MHz Pentium 2, and while it worked
              ok, it was pretty slow for JT65. You definitely had to use the 'slow CPU'
              option. But I concur that it had no noise. I think one could probably pick
              up a used TP-600? in the range of $300 and up.

              My new laptop is a Dell Inspiron 600M, and it is bloody fast. Decodes JT65
              sequences in about a second (it took the thinkpad up to 20 seconds), and
              FSK441 decodes just about instantaneously. I have noticed no noise from the
              Dell, either with or without the charger, but have not yet used it in a
              portable environment. It does sit right beside my 2 two meter receivers,
              and it is connected to the internet via RF, and no interference either way.

              By the way, the Thinkpad, new, cost me over $4200, while the new Dell with
              all kinds of accessories like an extra portable (car/airplane/wall) charger,
              leather carrying case, docking station, 1.6 Ghz Pentium 4, 60 Gig hard
              drive, 512 meg memory, 2 meg USB ram drive, and wireless mouse, cost only
              around $1800. See, you can get more for less. I would have bought another
              Thinkpad, but the current models just did not stand up to the Dell in terms
              of features, performance, or price.

              73, Russ K2TXB

            • Mike H
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
                I used the Thinkpad 760 with a 166 MHz processor, 64 Mb, and W95. It was
                $200 on ebay. I recall that it took about 4-5 seconds to decode FSK441a.
                I ran it from the same deep cycle battery that powered the radio. Never
                got near the cig lighter adaptor. To make this work, I connected a female
                cig adaptor to the battery to accomodate the laptop's 12V power cord.
                Note that I use 'past tense' here as most of my WSJT rover equipment was
                stolen this past summer when I got burglarized. Andy: if you'd like the
                female cig adaptor, which was left behind, let me know.

                Mike WB2FKO
              • SP8RHP
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 20, 2004
                  Hi All...
                  I have similar problem how Andy K0SM...
                  He manifests itself this : noise changes during bowing matrix (screen) from S1 -S5-6.
                  How do to remedy this ??? .
                  Someone had similar problems maybe and it knows how from this to fight ? .
                  Laptoop this HP4150 366MHz 192RAM...
                  I used once Toshiba Satellite Pro 166MHz and nothing of the sort did not it notice ..
                  enlargement of level of noise .
                  Metric TRX - HP4150 ~ 2 feets...
                  Bob SP8RHP

                  --