RE: [wsjtgroup] Random technique

  • Russ K2TXB
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
      Hi Bruce, sorry I missed you. The only station in your area I heard calling
      me was AC5TM, and he had a good signal but disappeared after I started
      answering him. Actually that happened a few times - where stations would
      answer me and then disappear. The rocks are very random and it takes a
      certain amount of patience.

      One possible reason is that the station suddenly got a sked on Ping Jockey,
      and abandoned the attempt to work me. That is just the breaks, but it would
      be nice if they would try me again when they get free.

      73, Russ K2TXB

    • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
        Russ K2TXB wrote:

        >Hi Mark. My strategy, if you can call it that, was simply to call CQ on the
        >calling frequency, with an offset. About every 10-20 minutes I changed
        >antenna heading. Since I was calling CQ D35, my receiver was always tuned
        >to 144.105, and that could be a problem as I would not hear other CQ's and
        >would miss potential QSO opportunities.

        You know, if you have one of those *fancy* radios, with two receivers, I
        don't see why it wouldn't be possible to leave the 2nd VFO on the
        calling frequency and run that audio to another computer such that you
        could monitor both frequencies when the radio isn't transmitting. You
        would at least be able to catch other CQers on the opposite sequence. I
        gotta try this in the January VHF contest....

        Andy K0SM/2 (back in EN10 this coming weekend....)
      • Mark Brueggemann
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 16, 2004
          Thanks everyone for passing on your 'secrets'. This gives me something
          to work on until the next event, meanwhile I'll keep trying during
          random hour on saturdays.

          =====
          Mark K5LXP
          Albuquerque, NM
        • jim_mcmasters@tandybrands.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 29, 2004

            Hi Andy- I keep getting a bounce when I try to reply to your last message from frontiernet.net.

            Do you have an alternate?

            Jim