Re: [wsjtgroup] Rumored scores: Gemenids Contest

  • Jonathan L. Rosner
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
      On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Mike H wrote:

      > http://www.sportscliche.com/wb2fko/gemenids2004.html
      >
      > Please send me additions and corrections.
      >
      > Mike WB2FKO

      Mike - can you calculate my score for me? I made only two QSOs,
      unassisted, on 6 meters: K1JT (FN20) and K1SIX (FN43). Central Standard
      Time Zone. Noise has been growing steadily at the U. of Chicago as a
      result of many new buildings and lights.

      Power: 90 watts
      Antenna: 5 el, 12 ft boom, up 75 ft.

      73,
      Jon WO9S
      --
      Jonathan L. Rosner Phone: 773-702-7694
      Enrico Fermi Institute Fax: 773-702-8038
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
        Thank you
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
          Hi Mike
          K9ZF
          EST
          Unassisted
          50Mhz: 2 QSO's, 2 grids
          144Mhz 1 QSO, 1 grid
          9 big points!

          Had very little time to operate due to work schedule :-(
          73
          Dan

          --
          K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
          Check out the Rover Resource Page at: <http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>

          Mike H wrote:

          >I will post unofficial/rumored scores on my website for NAHSMS Gemenids
          >contest participants. This does not substitute for sending official logs
          >to Tip, WA5UFH. Here's what I need:
          >
          >1) Your call
          >2) Time zone
          >3) Assisted or Unassisted
          >4) High or low power
          >5) Number of QSOs on each band
          >6) Claimed score
          >
          >For those who made both assisted and unassisted QSOs, rovers, etc, I'd
          >prefer to not make that additional breakdown...it gets a little too messy.
          >Final score will be good enough for the unofficial page. Depending on
          >details are here:
          >
          >http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/2004GemRules.htm
          >
          >Mike WB2FKO
          >mph@...

        • Russ K2TXB
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
            Dan, I calculate your score as 27 big points :) Don't forget that
            unassisted contacts on 6 & 2 count 3 points each.

            73, Russ K2TXB

          • Mark Brueggemann
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
              Got a question now that I see some of the results being posted.

              For those of you running "unassisted", what was your strategy? Were
              you CQ'ing on the calling channel, running split, or ? What drove the
              decision to work one band or another, and for how long?

              I was on the air for probably a total of 24 hours during the contest,
              most of it on 144.140. I did "peek" at pingjocky a couple times to see
              how other people were doing it and it looked like everyone was running
              skeds somewhere away from the call channel. I tried to do it
              "unassisted" and follow the intent of the rules, but ended up only
              hearing one other station (W0IOH), and making 0 complete contacts. Did
              you "unassisteds" make your QSO's on the calling freq or did I miss
              something in the rules about hanging out somewhere else for the
              contest? FKO who is just a couple of miles away scored well and has a
              modest station like mine, so I'm thinking it was me off in left field.
              Where did this newbie go wrong?

              =====
              Mark K5LXP
              Albuquerque, NM
            • Bruce Brackin
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
                Mark - I'm pretty well totally random when on the road so I CQ D7 from
                .260 In rockmobile (or here), I'll call about 10 minutes and then
                monitor 10 and call again. If nothing heard after a round or two, I
                park on .260 to monitor till ready to try calling again and back to D7.
                Goes without saying to make sure you are in right sequence for the main
                direction you want to try and work (but 6m can fool you on back
                scatter). In running randoms, I think a wide front lobe is really an
                advantage as many of the long booms guys have got to be looking almost
                straight at you for you to get their attention, particularly those
                closer in. I don't have to worry about that in the truck with the loop!

                As an aside, it seems a number on 6m consistently use CQ D7/D5 or U5/U6
                so no harm in listening around a few minutes on each. I saw 3-4 q's on
                .260 using RH message formats. 2m always tuffer but heard and tried
                Russ on his D35 CQ. Somebody that runs more 2m than me may want to
                comment on likely spots to catch folks - my experience would say .113
                and .144 are two of the most common U/D freqs.

                GL - Bruce, N5SIX
              • Russ K2TXB
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
                  Hi Mark. My strategy, if you can call it that, was simply to call CQ on the
                  calling frequency, with an offset. About every 10-20 minutes I changed
                  antenna heading. Since I was calling CQ D35, my receiver was always tuned
                  to 144.105, and that could be a problem as I would not hear other CQ's and
                  would miss potential QSO opportunities.

                  I solved that by connecting the receive side of my antenna relay in parallel
                  to two receivers, and utilizing 2 computers so I could use the second rx to
                  monitor the calling frequency during my receive periods. By doing that I
                  picked up at least 4 contacts that I would have missed otherwise.

                  I don't have six meters here so deciding which band to use was not an issue,
                  but if I did have six, I would set up a third computer so I could monitor
                  the calling frequency on both bands at all times, while listening to the
                  offset channel on the band I was actively calling CQ on.

                  I kept the audio on both receivers turned up (low) and usually while calling
                  CQ, I was across the room working on my computer, even if just playing
                  cards, to keep awake in the wee hours. When I would hear the pings start to
                  come in I would go over and investigate. Every ten minutes the CW ID would
                  go off and I used that as a way to remember when to change antenna heading.

                  Since I was calling CQ hour after hour after hour, I usually operated with
                  reduced power to lighten the load on my amplifier when calling CQ. Instead
                  of driving with 40 watts, I reduced the output of the TS-2000 to 30 watts,
                  dropping my output power to just 1000 watts. When I heard someone calling
                  me I then increased back to the legal limit for the duration of the contact.

                  Another thing, when I was in contact, I would put both receivers on the
                  contact frequency. Sometimes one would get a good decode when the other did
                  not, and vice versa. When working FSK441 in a contest it is important to
                  figure out what the DF is and adjust the receiver RIT quickly. Having two
                  receivers tuned to the frequency helps because you can adjust one receiver
                  one way and the other a different way if you are not sure.

                  I guess that does amount to a strategy after all. How to improve it? I
                  probably would have done better not staying awake until 3-4 am every night,
                  and instead quitting earlier and then get started around 7:00 am. I
                  probably missed some of the morning crowd. I did stay up all night on
                  Saturday night, and did hear a couple of stations on .140 in the morning,
                  but they were in QSO with each other and did not respond to my calls or my
                  CQ's.

                  Hopefully my strategy will give you and others some ideas on ways to improve
                  your unassisted score. I'd like to encourage everyone who is running
                  assisted to keep one receiver monitoring the calling frequencies all the
                  time. You will probably be able to pick up a number of 3 pointer contacts
                  that way, and will help make the day for the unassisted operators.

                  73, Russ K2TXB

                • Mike H
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
                    Mark,

                    I admire your dedication for running the contest unassisted and for
                    putting in the time you did. I heard you on 144.140 quite a bit calling
                    CQ (we live just a few miles apart). I had some decent results in the
                    contest but that was entirely due to the decision to operate assisted.
                    I'd much prefer to be in the unassisted category, but for where we live
                    (central New Mexico) that does not make for a particularly interesting or
                    enjoyable weekend as you found out.

                    I can count on one hand the number of stations I've worked random from
                    DM65 in the last 15 months. Of these four stations, there was no
                    guarantee any of them would be active during the contest. In the off
                    chance I work all 4 of them, then what? I like to make QSOs, score
                    points, and add new grids so that means I'm hanging out on PJ making
                    skeds.

                    The best operating techniques and equipment aren't going to help if there
                    are no stations out there to copy your CQ's. Until random activity in
                    this part of the country improves, I will be in the assisted category.
                    That said, I did manage to work two randoms (KM5PO and KI7JA) and got
                    close with another (WA5UFH). Thanks guys!

                    Mike WB2FKO
                  • Russ K2TXB
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
                      Hi Bruce, sorry I missed you. The only station in your area I heard calling
                      me was AC5TM, and he had a good signal but disappeared after I started
                      answering him. Actually that happened a few times - where stations would
                      answer me and then disappear. The rocks are very random and it takes a
                      certain amount of patience.

                      One possible reason is that the station suddenly got a sked on Ping Jockey,
                      and abandoned the attempt to work me. That is just the breaks, but it would
                      be nice if they would try me again when they get free.

                      73, Russ K2TXB

                    • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 15, 2004
                        Russ K2TXB wrote:

                        >Hi Mark. My strategy, if you can call it that, was simply to call CQ on the
                        >calling frequency, with an offset. About every 10-20 minutes I changed
                        >antenna heading. Since I was calling CQ D35, my receiver was always tuned
                        >to 144.105, and that could be a problem as I would not hear other CQ's and
                        >would miss potential QSO opportunities.

                        You know, if you have one of those *fancy* radios, with two receivers, I
                        don't see why it wouldn't be possible to leave the 2nd VFO on the
                        calling frequency and run that audio to another computer such that you
                        could monitor both frequencies when the radio isn't transmitting. You
                        would at least be able to catch other CQers on the opposite sequence. I
                        gotta try this in the January VHF contest....

                        Andy K0SM/2 (back in EN10 this coming weekend....)
                      • Mark Brueggemann
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 16, 2004
                          Thanks everyone for passing on your 'secrets'. This gives me something
                          to work on until the next event, meanwhile I'll keep trying during
                          random hour on saturdays.

                          =====
                          Mark K5LXP
                          Albuquerque, NM
                        • jim_mcmasters@tandybrands.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 29, 2004

                            Hi Andy- I keep getting a bounce when I try to reply to your last message from frontiernet.net.

                            Do you have an alternate?

                            Jim