Re: [wsjtgroup] Low Power

  • Rex Moncur
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2002
      Hi Sean

      WSJT has two modes - FSK441 for meteor scatter and JT44 for weak steady signals ( eg tropo and EME).

      If you are talking of distances up to a few hundred km on tropo then JT44 is the best mode and 10 watts on 6 meters will work well up to a around 300 or 400 km depending on the take-off and antennas.

      The FSK441 mode is designed for meteor scatter and works best in the range 800 to 1800 km. 10 watts and a three element beam will work but it will take typically 30 to 60 minutes to complete a QSO.  As an approximation an increase in power by a factor of four will reduce the time for a QSO time by a factor or 2.

      I cannot help with frequencies in Europe but I think you will find that you need to make skeds, at least until you have got some experience with the modes.

      Kind regards Rex VK7MO

    • Jörgen Svahnström
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2002
        Hi there

        Try this page out for info, especially the chat.. where you will find people already engaged in wsjt.

        73 de oh1jcs
        Hi all, not long been set up on wsjt and was wondering how it performed as a low power mode? Only running an indoor dipole and 10w on 6m, but I think I should be able to have a few QSO's. Also what is the best mode for random QSO's, i.e. monitoring a frequency for CQ's and what is the best QRG to use on 6m? Thanks for the help!!
                              73
                       Sean - G4UCJ
               RSGB Morse Examiner
              IO92PA - SP93 - EU005

      • Philip
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24 12:06 AM
          --- In wsjtgroup@y..., "Sean \(G4UCJ\)" <g4ucj.shack@n...> wrote:
          > Hi all, not long been set up on wsjt and was wondering how it
          performed as a low power mode? Only running an indoor dipole and 10w
          on 6m, but I think I should be able to have a few QSO's. Also what is
          the best mode for random QSO's, i.e. monitoring a frequency for CQ's
          and what is the best QRG to use on 6m? Thanks for the help!!
          > 73
          > Sean - G4UCJ
          > RSGB Morse Examiner
          > IO92PA - SP93 - EU005

          Sean,

          Please have a look at my website which contains information specific
          to VHF/UHF and WSJT, it includes the frequencies used here in Europe.

          http://www.qsl.net/g0isw/

          73 de Philip G0ISW