Next version of WSJT

  • john_km5es
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2004
      Has anyone heard when the new version is coming out?

      John KM5ES
    • aflowers@frontiernet.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2004
        John, others,

        Joe gave a presentation at the 2004 EME conference regarding "JT1"--
        similar to JT65 in operation but using a PSK element in the coding
        scheme. Apparently it exists is some form on his simulator and the PDF
        presentation says that maybe a Windoze version by next Fall. Of course
        I wouldn't hold Joe to that.

        Here's the URL to the slide presentation:
        http://pulsar.princeton.edu/~joe/K1JT/EME2004.PDF

        Andy K0SM/2

        Quoting john_km5es <km5es@...>:

        > Has anyone heard when the new version is coming out?
        >

        > John KM5ES

      • john_km5es
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 26, 2004
          Thanks guys I was just wondering I have been out of the loop for 2
          years just wanted to make sure I had the latest version which is 4.7 I
          think.

          73 John KM5ES
          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "aflowers@f..." <aflowers@f...> wrote:
          > John, others,
          >
          > Joe gave a presentation at the 2004 EME conference regarding "JT1"--
          > similar to JT65 in operation but using a PSK element in the coding
          > scheme. Apparently it exists is some form on his simulator and the PDF
          > presentation says that maybe a Windoze version by next Fall. Of course
          > I wouldn't hold Joe to that.
          >
          > Here's the URL to the slide presentation:
          > http://pulsar.princeton.edu/~joe/K1JT/EME2004.PDF
          >
          > Andy K0SM/2
          >
          > Quoting john_km5es <km5es@k...>:
          >

          > > Has anyone heard when the new version is coming out?
          > >

          > > John KM5ES

          > > Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
          > > NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Catharinus pe1ahx
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2004
            Hi John, all,

            the following message just appeared on moonnet.

            73
            Catharinus PE1AHX

            >Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:48:33 -0500
            >From: Joe Taylor <joe@...>
            >To: Moon-Net <moon-net@...>
            >Subject: [Moon-net] Special JT65 request
            >
            >Dear EME Friends,
            >
            >If you have been a JT44 and/or JT65 user, you probably know that I have
            >been working on a possible successor to these modes with even better
            >capabilities. Progress has been a bit slow because of other obligations,
            >but I have reached a point where I must make some detailed design
            >decisions about modulation and coding schemes for the new mode.
            >
            >Phase shift keying (PSK) has significant advantages over the
            >frequency-shift keying (FSK) used in JT65 and JT44. However, for maximum
            >effectiveness a PSK signal must be demodulated coherently, which means
            >that the receiver must accurately track the phase of the signal's
            >suppressed carrier. To find out whether this can be a viable alternative,
            >I need some example signals to play with. This is where you come in.
            >
            >The JT65 "shorthand" messages make nearly ideal test signals for my
            >purpose. If you make JT65 QSOs on 50, 144, 432, or 1296 MHz in the next
            >few weeks, please save one or two recordings of the shorthand messages
            >that you receive, and email them to me. The best recordings to send would
            >be when the signals are strongest -- I can and will add noise to make
            >things more difficult for my software phase tracker -- but they must be
            >EME signals. I want to see whether normal libration and polarization
            >fading can be adequately accommodated in a software phase-lock loop.
            >
            >To make optimum parameter choices it is also important to know the
            >characteristic timescale (or spectrum) of both phase and amplitude
            >modulations caused by the propagation path. Once again, example
            >recordings on several bands should help by providing a sound empirical
            >framework in which to make design choices.
            >
            >So, friends, if you are interested in helping to maximize the efficiency
            >of the yet-to-be-frozen design of "JTxx", please send me a few recordings
            >of JT65 shorthand messages with good S/N.
            >
            >Also: if you have any knowledge of these phenomena that would be relevant
            >to the design decisions I'm talking about, I would be delighted to receive
            >your advice!
            >
            > -- 73, Joe, K1JT
          • Omar Shabsigh
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 27, 2004
              Hi all:

              Coherent PSK will not work. It will make a mess of errors in data. That is
              why non-coherent Differential PSK(DPSK) was invented. Where when there is an
              error one can get only two bits of error. This can be managed in many ways.
              While in coherent PSK if one bit is in error all the following bits will be
              reveresed. And still DPSK is 3 dB better than FSK.

              Best 73 de

              Omar YK1AO

              > the following message just appeared on moonnet.
              >
              > 73
              > Catharinus PE1AHX
              >
              > >Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:48:33 -0500
              > >From: Joe Taylor <joe@...>
              > >To: Moon-Net <moon-net@...>
              > >Subject: [Moon-net] Special JT65 request
              > >
              > >Dear EME Friends,
              > >
              > >If you have been a JT44 and/or JT65 user, you probably know that I have
              > >been working on a possible successor to these modes with even better
              > >capabilities. Progress has been a bit slow because of other obligations,
              > >but I have reached a point where I must make some detailed design
              > >decisions about modulation and coding schemes for the new mode.
              > >
              > >Phase shift keying (PSK) has significant advantages over the
              > >frequency-shift keying (FSK) used in JT65 and JT44. However, for maximum
              > >effectiveness a PSK signal must be demodulated coherently, which means
              > >that the receiver must accurately track the phase of the signal's
              > >suppressed carrier. To find out whether this can be a viable
              alternative,
              > >I need some example signals to play with. This is where you come in.
              > >
              > >The JT65 "shorthand" messages make nearly ideal test signals for my
              > >purpose. If you make JT65 QSOs on 50, 144, 432, or 1296 MHz in the next
              > >few weeks, please save one or two recordings of the shorthand messages
              > >that you receive, and email them to me. The best recordings to send
              would
              > >be when the signals are strongest -- I can and will add noise to make
              > >things more difficult for my software phase tracker -- but they must be
              > >EME signals. I want to see whether normal libration and polarization
              > >fading can be adequately accommodated in a software phase-lock loop.
              > >
              > >To make optimum parameter choices it is also important to know the
              > >characteristic timescale (or spectrum) of both phase and amplitude
              > >modulations caused by the propagation path. Once again, example
              > >recordings on several bands should help by providing a sound empirical
              > >framework in which to make design choices.
              > >
              > >So, friends, if you are interested in helping to maximize the efficiency
              > >of the yet-to-be-frozen design of "JTxx", please send me a few recordings
              > >of JT65 shorthand messages with good S/N.
              > >
              > >Also: if you have any knowledge of these phenomena that would be relevant
              > >to the design decisions I'm talking about, I would be delighted to
              receive
              > >your advice!
              > >
              > > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

            • Bob Poortinga
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 14, 2004
                I know it's a little late to be asking, but the NAHSMS contest rules at
                <http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/2004GemRules.htm> state:

                "2. RALLY PERIOD: Starts on Saturday 0000 Dec 11 to 0700 Dec 15 (Friday
                evening through Wednesday evening, North American time.)"

                This statement is invalid as 0700z Dec 15 is early Wednesday morning,
                not evening. So is 0700 UTC Dec 15 correct or is it 0700 EST?

                --
                Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                Bloomington, Indiana US
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
                  Hi Bob. The contest was originally slated to run to 0000 hours and I think
                  the text read "to Tuesday evening". But we decided to extend it to allow
                  people to work through the evening, especially the western stations, and I
                  guess the day got changed to Wednesday, but no one noticed that it should be
                  changed to morning.

                  Anyway that is as best I can recall what happened.

                  73, Russ K2TXB