Low Power

  • Sean (G4UCJ)
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2002
      Hi all, not long been set up on wsjt and was wondering how it performed as a low power mode? Only running an indoor dipole and 10w on 6m, but I think I should be able to have a few QSO's. Also what is the best mode for random QSO's, i.e. monitoring a frequency for CQ's and what is the best QRG to use on 6m? Thanks for the help!!
                            73
                     Sean - G4UCJ
             RSGB Morse Examiner
            IO92PA - SP93 - EU005

    • Rex Moncur
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2002
        Hi Sean

        WSJT has two modes - FSK441 for meteor scatter and JT44 for weak steady signals ( eg tropo and EME).

        If you are talking of distances up to a few hundred km on tropo then JT44 is the best mode and 10 watts on 6 meters will work well up to a around 300 or 400 km depending on the take-off and antennas.

        The FSK441 mode is designed for meteor scatter and works best in the range 800 to 1800 km. 10 watts and a three element beam will work but it will take typically 30 to 60 minutes to complete a QSO.  As an approximation an increase in power by a factor of four will reduce the time for a QSO time by a factor or 2.

        I cannot help with frequencies in Europe but I think you will find that you need to make skeds, at least until you have got some experience with the modes.

        Kind regards Rex VK7MO

      • Jörgen Svahnström
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2002
          Hi there

          Try this page out for info, especially the chat.. where you will find people already engaged in wsjt.

          73 de oh1jcs

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 24, 2002
            --- In wsjtgroup@y..., "Sean \(G4UCJ\)" <g4ucj.shack@n...> wrote:
            > Hi all, not long been set up on wsjt and was wondering how it
            performed as a low power mode? Only running an indoor dipole and 10w
            on 6m, but I think I should be able to have a few QSO's. Also what is
            the best mode for random QSO's, i.e. monitoring a frequency for CQ's
            and what is the best QRG to use on 6m? Thanks for the help!!
            > 73
            > Sean - G4UCJ
            > RSGB Morse Examiner
            > IO92PA - SP93 - EU005

            Sean,

            Please have a look at my website which contains information specific
            to VHF/UHF and WSJT, it includes the frequencies used here in Europe.

            http://www.qsl.net/g0isw/

            73 de Philip G0ISW