MSSOFT menu item

  • wd4kpd
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2004
      downloaded latest MSSOFT.

      after setup, when running program, the set date menu has a new entry
      at the bottom "hit m to make mws"

      anyone know what this is ? program just stopped when i did it.

      david/wd4kpd
    • Catharinus PE1AHX in JO21OS
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2004
        David,

        MWS = Most Wanted Squares. I think there is something in the instructions
        about it but basically you create a file with locators worked, set your
        maximum distance and the program builds a list of missing squares. VQlog
        contains a similar function. In Europe the MWS list gets submitted (for
        2m) to DL8EBW who totals them and build maps like this:

        http://rudius.net/oz2m/mw/results/144m_2004.htm

        Main page: http://rudius.net/oz2m/mw/index.htm

        This list and map helps expeditioners plan their activities to provide as
        manay squares as possible to those wanting them. If the submitter agreed
        he can be notified if a wanted square becomes active. Of course the value
        of such a map is dependent on the number of entries made.

        Hope this gave you the info you wanted.

        73
        Catharinus PE1AHX

        At 00:57 19-11-2004 +0000, you wrote:

        >downloaded latest MSSOFT.
        >
        >after setup, when running program, the set date menu has a new entry
        >at the bottom "hit m to make mws"
        >
        >anyone know what this is ? program just stopped when i did it.
        >
        >david/wd4kpd
        >

        >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
        >
        >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
        >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Omar Shabsigh
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 22, 2004
          Where can I download MSSOFT for this from??

          Best 73

          Omar YK1AO

          > MWS = Most Wanted Squares. I think there is something in the instructions
          > about it but basically you create a file with locators worked, set your
          > maximum distance and the program builds a list of missing squares. VQlog
          > contains a similar function. In Europe the MWS list gets submitted (for
          > 2m) to DL8EBW who totals them and build maps like this:
          >
          > http://rudius.net/oz2m/mw/results/144m_2004.htm
          >
          > Main page: http://rudius.net/oz2m/mw/index.htm
          >
          > This list and map helps expeditioners plan their activities to provide as
          > manay squares as possible to those wanting them. If the submitter agreed
          > he can be notified if a wanted square becomes active. Of course the value
          > of such a map is dependent on the number of entries made.
          >
          > Hope this gave you the info you wanted.
          >
          > 73
          > Catharinus PE1AHX
          >
          > At 00:57 19-11-2004 +0000, you wrote:
          >

          > >downloaded latest MSSOFT.
          > >
          > >after setup, when running program, the set date menu has a new entry
          > >at the bottom "hit m to make mws"
          > >
          > >anyone know what this is ? program just stopped when i did it.
          > >
          > >david/wd4kpd
          > >

          > >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
          > >
          > >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
          > >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David Michael Gaytko
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 22, 2004
            tks om...figured it was most wanted squares...but still dont know what
            to do with it !

            73's

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 23, 2004
              Hi Omar,

              try http://www.kolumbus.fi/oh5iy/ then select MS-Soft v5.1 for radio SM
              and/or VM-Soft for visual MS. I must say that the OH5IY software is very
              useful but with FSK441 contacts are often also possible when the software
              does not predict a maximum.

              Considering where you are located, I would also like to point you to the 6m
              and/or 2m chat pages on www.on4kst.com. You will find some stations there
              which are within your reach if you want to try FSK441 or JT65. There is
              some activity from SV, ZC4, 9H, TA, Russia, Ukraine.

              Around December 13 there will be the Geminids with a lot of activity
              because around that time there will also be the BCC MS contest: 11 December
              2004, 20:00 UTC to 15 December 2004, 02:00 UTC. Info on
              http://www.bavarian-contest-club.de/contest/ms-contest/index.html

              73, maybe we will work someday. Your area is in range of long range SpE on
              144MHz... If you do decide to be active I am sure many people will be
              happy to work you!

              73
              Catharinus PE1AHX