Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT Primer ...

  • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 20, 2004
      Art,

      I know K9KNW made a few QSOs with 300w and a halo on 2m from his boat.
      I think he likened it to "pulling teeth from an alligator". If you want
      a reasonable chance of hearing and working a brick-yagi station, you'll
      need a beam, bigger is always better...though not always possible. If
      you are looking to go cheap I suggest the WA5VJB "cheap yagi". They are
      ugly, but they do work if you hammer on them enough to get the SWR
      down. When I was back in 0-land for the UHF contest, KM0T lashed
      together an 11-element 432 version in about an hour using an orphaned
      broom handle from his garage. Get it up in the clear with good coax and
      I imagine you can work many folks with 100w.

      BTW, a common misconception about yagi antennas--the length of the yagi
      is very important, not so much the number of elements. I remember
      seeing a modification for the old cushcraft 10-el yagi that put 8
      elements on the same boom and increased the gain a couple dB. Be wary
      of old yagi designs that seem to have more elements per boomlength.
      That doesn't make them better.

      Good luck!
      Andy K0SM/2

      janartm@... wrote:

      > Ok so here is another question......
      >
      > I will read the new primer, and this weekend try and receive some
      > signals. But before I can attempt that, what is the minimum antenna I
      > might be able to hear something with. I do not have any type of beam
      > but I do have a 2m dipole, did someone just snicker. If I was to try
      > and make a 2m beam how many elements and how high would it have to
      > be. Should I forget the dipole and just make a beam.
      >
      > As you can see, I am really starting from scratch with this.
      >
      > Thanks again,
      > Art W1FJI

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qdur9v/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705063108:HM/EXP=1098406311/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

    • Catharinus PE1AHX in JO21OS
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
        Art,

        look here at the map (and if you want at the subpages) about what can be
        worked with a small antenna and abt 60/70W: http://www.cetu.nl/iw0uei/ One
        remark: The square was (and is) in demand which makes it more likely that
        a qso will come to completion.

        73
        Catharinus PE1AHX