RE: [wsjtgroup] WSJT Primer ...

  • Rick Graham
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 20, 2004

      Art,

      I recently switched to a bigger antenna but I used to work WSJT via a Cushcraft 5 el beam (the one that is a dual band) and 50W. It’s not easy, but it certainly is doable. If you have elevation from your home that will definitely help. It takes patience and perseverance.

      Good luck

      73 DE AI3W, Rick

      FM19pw

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2004
        Art,

        I know K9KNW made a few QSOs with 300w and a halo on 2m from his boat.
        I think he likened it to "pulling teeth from an alligator". If you want
        a reasonable chance of hearing and working a brick-yagi station, you'll
        need a beam, bigger is always better...though not always possible. If
        you are looking to go cheap I suggest the WA5VJB "cheap yagi". They are
        ugly, but they do work if you hammer on them enough to get the SWR
        down. When I was back in 0-land for the UHF contest, KM0T lashed
        together an 11-element 432 version in about an hour using an orphaned
        broom handle from his garage. Get it up in the clear with good coax and
        I imagine you can work many folks with 100w.

        BTW, a common misconception about yagi antennas--the length of the yagi
        is very important, not so much the number of elements. I remember
        seeing a modification for the old cushcraft 10-el yagi that put 8
        elements on the same boom and increased the gain a couple dB. Be wary
        of old yagi designs that seem to have more elements per boomlength.
        That doesn't make them better.

        Good luck!
        Andy K0SM/2

        janartm@... wrote:

        > Ok so here is another question......
        >
        > I will read the new primer, and this weekend try and receive some
        > signals. But before I can attempt that, what is the minimum antenna I
        > might be able to hear something with. I do not have any type of beam
        > but I do have a 2m dipole, did someone just snicker. If I was to try
        > and make a 2m beam how many elements and how high would it have to
        > be. Should I forget the dipole and just make a beam.
        >
        > As you can see, I am really starting from scratch with this.
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Art W1FJI

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qdur9v/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705063108:HM/EXP=1098406311/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

      • Catharinus PE1AHX in JO21OS
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
          Art,

          look here at the map (and if you want at the subpages) about what can be
          worked with a small antenna and abt 60/70W: http://www.cetu.nl/iw0uei/ One
          remark: The square was (and is) in demand which makes it more likely that
          a qso will come to completion.

          73
          Catharinus PE1AHX