WSJT Primer ...

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 20, 2004
      Thanks to all those who have been helping with the WSJT Primer. The new
      link is http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Help/WSJTPrimer.htm . Also there is a
      link from the WSJTGROUP Webpage and the Six Club Webpage.

      The document has lots of information in it. If you see something that
      needs to be added, removed or corrected just let me know. It should
      contain all the information the individual needs to get WSJT working and
      to make the first ms contact.

      Again thanks to all who helped, your input was greatly appreciated.

      _ _____________________________________ _
      / )|o Randy Tipton (Tip) WA5UFH o|( \
      / / | wa5ufh@... | \ \
      _( (_ | _ 778 CR 123 _ | ) )_
      (((\ \>| / ) Edna, Texas 77957 ( \ |</ /)))
      (\\\\ \_/ /-------------------------------\ \_/ ////)
      \ / Homepage: www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/ \ /
      \ _/ Ph: 361 782 7686 \_ /
      / /|_____________________________________|\ \
      / / "The VHF bands are never dead, learn \ \
      / / to use high speed meteor scatter" \ \
    • janartm@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2004
        Ok so here is another question......

        I will read the new primer, and this weekend try and receive some signals. But before I can attempt that, what is the minimum antenna I might be able to hear something with.  I do not have any type of beam but I do have a 2m dipole,  did someone just snicker.  If I was to try and make a 2m beam how many elements and how high would it have to be.  Should I forget the dipole and just make a beam.

        As you can see, I am really starting from scratch with this.

        Thanks again,
        Art  W1FJI
      • Rick Graham
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 20, 2004

          Art,

          I recently switched to a bigger antenna but I used to work WSJT via a Cushcraft 5 el beam (the one that is a dual band) and 50W. It’s not easy, but it certainly is doable. If you have elevation from your home that will definitely help. It takes patience and perseverance.

          Good luck

          73 DE AI3W, Rick

          FM19pw

          I will read the new primer, and this weekend try and receive some signals. But before I can attempt that, what is the minimum antenna I might be able to hear something with.  I do not have any type of beam but I do have a 2m dipole,  did someone just snicker.  If I was to try and make a 2m beam how many elements and how high would it have to be.  Should I forget the dipole and just make a beam.

          As you can see, I am really starting from scratch with this.

          Thanks again,

          Art  W1FJI

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 20, 2004
            Art,

            I know K9KNW made a few QSOs with 300w and a halo on 2m from his boat.
            I think he likened it to "pulling teeth from an alligator". If you want
            a reasonable chance of hearing and working a brick-yagi station, you'll
            need a beam, bigger is always better...though not always possible. If
            you are looking to go cheap I suggest the WA5VJB "cheap yagi". They are
            ugly, but they do work if you hammer on them enough to get the SWR
            down. When I was back in 0-land for the UHF contest, KM0T lashed
            together an 11-element 432 version in about an hour using an orphaned
            broom handle from his garage. Get it up in the clear with good coax and
            I imagine you can work many folks with 100w.

            BTW, a common misconception about yagi antennas--the length of the yagi
            is very important, not so much the number of elements. I remember
            seeing a modification for the old cushcraft 10-el yagi that put 8
            elements on the same boom and increased the gain a couple dB. Be wary
            of old yagi designs that seem to have more elements per boomlength.
            That doesn't make them better.

            Good luck!
            Andy K0SM/2

            janartm@... wrote:

            > Ok so here is another question......
            >
            > I will read the new primer, and this weekend try and receive some
            > signals. But before I can attempt that, what is the minimum antenna I
            > might be able to hear something with. I do not have any type of beam
            > but I do have a 2m dipole, did someone just snicker. If I was to try
            > and make a 2m beam how many elements and how high would it have to
            > be. Should I forget the dipole and just make a beam.
            >
            > As you can see, I am really starting from scratch with this.
            >
            > Thanks again,
            > Art W1FJI

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qdur9v/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705063108:HM/EXP=1098406311/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

          • Catharinus PE1AHX in JO21OS
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
              Art,

              look here at the map (and if you want at the subpages) about what can be
              worked with a small antenna and abt 60/70W: http://www.cetu.nl/iw0uei/ One
              remark: The square was (and is) in demand which makes it more likely that
              a qso will come to completion.

              73
              Catharinus PE1AHX