IC706MKII

  • janartm@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 16, 2004
      Let me go ahead and ask this question.

      I have an IC706MKII, I am sure someone has already gone through the pain and is using one here in the group for weak signals.  Is it better to pick up the receive audio from the ACC socket on the back or from the external speaker on the back of the radio.  Likewise are there any special things I should know when connecting the radio to the audio card in the computer.

      Thanks,
      Art  W1FJI,
      Tallahassee, Florida

    • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 16, 2004
        Art,

        I've had the pleasure of using one on PSK here from the apartment and on
        a couple WSJT DXpeditions on 2m. I've gotten audio from both places,
        though taking it from the ACC jack keeps the audio going to the computer
        separate from the volume control. That allows you to change the volume
        control for easier listening without worrying about affecting the drive
        to the computer. I believe you can also take audio from one of pins
        on the microphone as well.

        The IC-706 tends to get pretty warm at any power level if you are
        running full-duty cycle or even PSK31. You might want to put a little
        fan back there to help it out.

        Andy K0SM/2

        janartm@... wrote:

        > Let me go ahead and ask this question.
        >
        > I have an IC706MKII, I am sure someone has already gone through the
        > pain and is using one here in the group for weak signals. Is it
        > better to pick up the receive audio from the ACC socket on the back or
        > from the external speaker on the back of the radio. Likewise are
        > there any special things I should know when connecting the radio to
        > the audio card in the computer.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Art W1FJI,
        > Tallahassee, Florida
      • jim bennett
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 17, 2004
          I also take the audio from the ACC jack, independent of the vol. control plus this just makes a neater hookup, thus all level controlling is done from the pc. I use High power amps following the 706 so it just loafs along.

          jim K4KAE
          I have an IC706MKII, I am sure someone has already gone through the pain and is using one here in the group for weak signals.  Is it better to pick up the receive audio from the ACC socket on the back or from the external speaker on the back of the radio.  Likewise are there any special things I should know when connecting the radio to the audio card in the computer.

          Thanks,
          Art  W1FJI,
          Tallahassee, Florida

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        • janartm@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 17, 2004
            Jim,
            would I be correct is saying that you are connected to pin 12 AF and pin 2 GND?

            Art  W1FJI

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 18, 2004
              Hi Art, Yes I used pin 12 and pin 3 as the shield. I have also used the Data socket 1200 Baud AF Out.

              jim
              K4KAE

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 18, 2004
                Sri Art, typo...yes pin 2 shield