Re: [wsjtgroup] beginner questions

  • w5uwb2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004
      Dan:

      If you right click on the ping it will ignore steady tones. I have seen strong bursts, which I know is multitone and it will decode R26, R27 sometimes. The right click will ignore the carrier or whatever it sees in the multitone and give you a decent decode.

      I run with AGC off, NB on if required. I do NOT use DSP.

      73 es good luck !!

      John W5UWB
    • wa3ltb@juno.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004
        Hi Dan,

        I have a 746 on this end also......I run Compression on and slight
        indication of ALC maybe 1 or 2 bars.....AGC in Fast mode.........NB on in
        qrn conditions, I find that the noise blanker seems to reduce the receive
        level of pings by 1 or 2 db but not to the point that they can't be
        decoded, turn it off when possible though. I don't have much trouble
        with false decodes..I set W>width to 20 andTol> to 400 to start then
        Tol>100 after I find the freq of the signal and tune RIT to correct to
        under 100 hertz. The closer you have the receive signal the better
        overall...I actually listen to the received signals and manually decode
        anything I think might be a ping when possible too. That's about it ....

        Good luck
        Terry
        WA3LTB
        EN92ta