New Person question

  • janartm@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2004
      I down loaded the wsjt software and installed it.  I also down loaded the user's guide.  I have read through the user's guide three times.  I tried the example files in page 3 of the user's guide per the instructions. I do not understand the following statement.  Try clicking around the ping with both left and right nouse buttons and observe the decoded text that appears.

      I have played the W8WN file a few times and I have no idea what is ment by click around the ping.

      I am back to reading again to try and understand what that is supposed to mean.

      Any help will be welcome.

      Thanks,

      Art W1FJI,  Tallahassee, Fl

    • Mike H
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2004
        Art: Were you able to open the sample .wav files in WSJT? If so, you
        should see a graphical display similar to what is shown in the manual: the
        flat green line is what the radio receiver picked up during the specified
        period. This is a graph of receiver signal vs time. If your speakers are
        hooked up, you can listen to the actual recorded sound file by pressing
        the PLAY button in the WSJT program.

        To 'click around the ping' move the mouse cursor into the upper window
        that displays the time trace. There should be vertical spikes (ie. pings)
        similar to the examples shown in the manual. If you place the cursor
        directly on top of the obvious spike in the time trace, hold it there and
        right-click the mouse button, you will force a decode of that signal.
        The decoded text will display in the text box.

        Mike WB2FKO
        New Mexico
      • John Maguire
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2004

          Hi Art,

          WSJT is not easy to figure out from the instructions.

          Watch Ping Jockey and see if you can identify a user nearby. I have one about an hour away and I spent an evening with him. Once the proper info is loaded into the software, it will transmit on the schedule you define for a minute. At the end of that time it receives for a minute. All during this time there is nothing on the receiver waterfall or scope display or whatever you want to call it. Towards the end of the one minute receive period, your computer analyzes what it has been listening to and if it has sufficient data will then give you a signal display on the scope on your computer screen and also tell you in a little window what portion of the QSO exchange it copied.

          It is one of those things that might be almost impossible to describe, but when you see it happen it becomes all so clear.

          Do you have a 2 meter SSB radio? I have a very good pair of stacked yagis which I could contribute if you had a radio to use them with. There is more activity on two meters.

          John

          I down loaded the wsjt software and installed it.  I also down loaded the user's guide.  I have read through the user's guide three times.  I tried the example files in page 3 of the user's guide per the instructions. I do not understand the following statement.  Try clicking around the ping with both left and right nouse buttons and observe the decoded text that appears.

          I have played the W8WN file a few times and I have no idea what is ment by click around the ping.

          I am back to reading again to try and understand what that is supposed to mean.

          Any help will be welcome.

          Thanks,

          Art W1FJI,  Tallahassee , Fl

          To unsubscribe, send an email to: