Perseids update

  • Paul Kelley
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2004
      Fellow Ping Masters,

      The shower was really hot for a while last night. I had a
      blast working random!! But some of the contacts took longer
      than I imagined to complete and I ended up "hogging"
      144.140 longer than I had planned. Henceforth for the
      duration of the shower I will be calling "CQ ###" on 140
      indicating where I am listening for calls.

      I'm dumbfounded by what I am able to work. I am a relative
      newcomer to FSK441 and the mode is a big part of that
      success... as is the fact that I have a much better station
      for this type of work than I ever have. The two together is
      mind boggling to this ping fan.

      Hope to work some of you tonight!

      Paul, N1BUG FN55mf
      Please QSL via KS4YT
    • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) Watson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2004
        Paul, what time are we talking about?  Between 01Z & 03Z I ran a couple of skeds on 6, with almost nothing.  I turned into a pumpkin arond 03Z.(Old men need their beauty rest)

        73
        Mike, W5UC

        At 12:51 PM 8/10/2004 -0400, you wrote:
        Fellow Ping Masters,

        The shower was really hot for a while last night. I had a
        blast working random!! But some of the contacts took longer
        than I imagined to complete and I ended up "hogging"
        144.140 longer than I had planned. Henceforth for the
        duration of the shower I will be calling "CQ ###" on 140
        indicating where I am listening for calls.

        I'm dumbfounded by what I am able to work. I am a relative
        newcomer to FSK441 and the mode is a big part of that
        success... as is the fact that I have a much better station
        for this type of work than I ever have. The two together is
        mind boggling to this ping fan.

        Hope to work some of you tonight!

        Paul, N1BUG  FN55mf
        Please QSL via KS4YT

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        "age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"

      • Paul Kelley
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2004
          Very interesting Mike.

          Maybe the directions / distances weren't favorable for you?
          I found plenty of good rocks between 0100 and 0500Z last
          night. In the interest of encouraging folks for tonight,
          here is a summary:

          Around 0130 I worked W8BYA on sked. He was running 50 watts
          as a test to see how easily we could do it. Very easy!

          I began calling CQ around 0200, quickly worked N9LR (20
          watts, he was checking my receiver, hi!), then WA3LTB, then
          was called by K0AWU and eventually completed. That one took
          a while to complete due to all the rocks congregating on
          1st period for some time. I was hearing a *lot* from him,
          almost every sequence for 20 minutes or so. Was called by
          KC0HLN, almost completed with him on random. Again hearing
          a lot from him but having a tough time getting rocks on the
          other period. Was also called by KB9ZTF, WA4MVI, and two
          more unidentified stations sometime prior to 0415. Would
          have easily worked ZTF and MVI if rocks had cooperated with
          HLN and myself a bit better. Meanwhile there were numerous
          other CQs and QSOs taking place, great to see so much
          random activity on 144.140! I intercepted two or three
          bursts per sequence consistently for over an hour, some for
          me and some from other folks having fun.

          Shortly thereafter, completed with KB9ZTF and KC0HLN on sked
          off of Ping Jockey.

          By comparison, I found conditions horrible on a morning
          session between 1100 and 1700Z, but did complete with
          WD4KPD on 222 and K2BLA (1305 miles) on 2 meters.

          I'm looking forward to tonight! I only hope there are as
          many rocks as last night. Just got up from a too-short nap
          and am consuming caffeine trying to get ready...

          73,
          Paul N1BUG FN55mf
          Please QSL via KS4YT