Setting time when internet unavailable

  • Bill Nelson
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
      I just spent a week operating portable with no internet available. In a couple of days, my time difference was too great. After several attempts, using Win 7 clock adjuster, I was able to come close enough to make contacts again. I needed to repeat it every few days.

      It would be very handy to be able to adjust the clock using WSJT. I would suggest either 0.5 or 1 second. Most of the time, my time differential was consistent.

      Or, are there other methods that work? A few apps seem to have the ability to adjust to WWV, but I’ve not tried them. And, seems like a lot of bother to load those programs just for that.

      Thanks to all who make digital hamming so much fun!

      Bill WA7SJN
    • Paul Stoetzer
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
        A USB GPS receiver works fine for this.

        73,

        Paul, N8HM

        On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Bill Nelson bill.nelson@... [wsjtgroup] <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        I just spent a week operating portable with no internet available.  In a couple of days, my time difference was too great.  After several attempts, using Win 7 clock adjuster, I was able to come close enough to make contacts again.  I needed to repeat it every few days.

        It would be very handy to be able to adjust the clock using WSJT.  I would suggest either 0.5 or 1 second.  Most of the time, my time differential was consistent.

        Or, are there other methods that work?  A few apps seem to have the ability to adjust to WWV, but I’ve not tried them.  And, seems like a lot of bother to load those programs just for that.

        Thanks to all who make digital hamming so much fun!

        Bill WA7SJN

        WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            wsjtgroup-digest@yahoogroups.com
            wsjtgroup-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Peter Pauly
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
          >>A USB GPS receiver works fine for this.

          What software talks to the GPS to set the time? Can you be more specific?

          The JT65-HF HB9HQX Edition allows the user to track and adjust the time based on the time-differences coming in on the JT65 feed. That would be a nice feature to have on WSJT-X.
        • Bob

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
              Have the same issue.   Can you point us at brands/models, sources?   Thanks.

              73, Mark N7MQ

[...]

            • Lance Collister, W7GJ
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
                On my TX5K, E6M, and recent KH8 6m EME DXpeditions (on which I relied exclusively on
                JT65A mode in WSJT9), I used the following GPS Data Logger, which comes with a USB
                interface to the computer, and cost $25 me on EBAY:

                Columbus V800 <http://cbgps.com/v800/index_en.htm>

                For computer software, I used the free BktTimeSync
                <http://www.maniaradio.it/en/bkttimesync.html>.

                GL and VY 73, Lance

                --
                Lance Collister, W7GJ
                (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ)

                page (above)!
              • Mark Perrin
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
                  Thanks Lance. Much appreciated.

                  73,

                  Mark

                  On 8/11/2014 11:11 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
                  > On my TX5K, E6M, and recent KH8 6m EME DXpeditions (on which I relied
                  > exclusively on JT65A mode in WSJT9), I used the following GPS Data
                  > Logger, which comes with a USB interface to the computer, and cost $25
                  > me on EBAY:
                  >
                  > Columbus V800 <http://cbgps.com/v800/index_en.htm>
                  >
                  > For computer software, I used the free BktTimeSync
                  > <http://www.maniaradio.it/en/bkttimesync.html>.
                  >
                  > GL and VY 73, Lance
                  >
                  > On 8/11/2014 5:59 PM, Mark Perrin n7mq@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Have the same issue. Can you point us at brands/models, sources? Thanks.
                  >>
                  >> 73, Mark N7MQ
                  >>
                  >> On Aug 11, 2014, at 10:05 AM, "Paul Stoetzer N8HM@...
                  >> <mailto:N8HM@...> [wsjtgroup]"
                  >> <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com
                  >> <mailto:wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> A USB GPS receiver works fine for this.
                  >>>
                  >>> 73,
                  >>>
                  >>> Paul, N8HM
                  >>>

                  >>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Bill Nelson bill.nelson@...
                  >>> <mailto:bill.nelson@...> [wsjtgroup]
                  >>> <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com
                  >>> <mailto:wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
                  >>>
                  >>> I just spent a week operating portable with no internet
                  >>> available. In a couple
                  >>> of days, my time difference was too great. After several
                  >>> attempts, using Win 7
                  >>> clock adjuster, I was able to come close enough to make contacts
                  >>> again. I
                  >>> needed to repeat it every few days.
                  >>>
                  >>> It would be very handy to be able to adjust the clock using
                  >>> WSJT. I would
                  >>> suggest either 0.5 or 1 second. Most of the time, my time
                  >>> differential was
                  >>> consistent.
                  >>>
                  >>> Or, are there other methods that work? A few apps seem to have
                  >>> the ability to
                  >>> adjust to WWV, but I’ve not tried them. And, seems like a lot
                  >>> of bother to
                  >>> load those programs just for that.
                  >>>
                  >>> Thanks to all who make digital hamming so much fun!
                  >>>
                  >>> Bill WA7SJN

                  >>> WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/
                  >>>

                  >>> ------------------------------------
                  >>>
                  >>> Yahoo Groups Links
                  >>>

                  >>> wsjtgroup-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                  >>> <mailto:wsjtgroup-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>

                • Patrick
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
                    Hi all,

                    I know the thunderbold GPS receiver, it's a bit expensive, but with
                    KE5FX's Lady Heather, you can set your computer clock very accurately.

                    All you need is a simple RS232 cable, and set the right option after the
                    program's name.

                    Lady Heather has an old fashion look, but it's really convenient to
                    control the status of the Thunderbold.

                    Hope this will help.

                    Very 73

                    Patrick, F1EBK

                    Le lundi 11 août 2014 à 10:59 -0700, Mark Perrin n7mq@...
                    [wsjtgroup] a écrit :

                    > Have the same issue. Can you point us at brands/models, sources?
                    > Thanks.
                    >

                    > 73, Mark N7MQ
                    >
                    > On Aug 11, 2014, at 10:05 AM, "Paul Stoetzer N8HM@...
                    > [wsjtgroup]" <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    >

                    > > A USB GPS receiver works fine for this.
                    > >

                    > > 73,
                    > >
                    > > Paul, N8HM
                    > >

                    > > On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Bill Nelson bill.nelson@...
                    > > [wsjtgroup] <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    > > I just spent a week operating portable with no internet
                    > > available. In a couple of days, my time difference was too
                    > > great. After several attempts, using Win 7 clock adjuster,
                    > > I was able to come close enough to make contacts again. I
                    > > needed to repeat it every few days.
                    > >
                    > > It would be very handy to be able to adjust the clock using
                    > > WSJT. I would suggest either 0.5 or 1 second. Most of the
                    > > time, my time differential was consistent.
                    > >
                    > > Or, are there other methods that work? A few apps seem to
                    > > have the ability to adjust to WWV, but I’ve not tried them.
                    > > And, seems like a lot of bother to load those programs just
                    > > for that.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks to all who make digital hamming so much fun!
                    > >
                    > > Bill WA7SJN

                    > > WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/
                    > >

                    > > ------------------------------------
                    > >
                    > > Yahoo Groups Links

                  • Bob
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
                      You can obtain the Time Tools GPS Clock software for free from here:  http://www.timetools.co.uk/utilities/gps-clock/

                      A $34 USB GPS Receiver may then be used for the NEMA strings, such as the BU-353-S4 from Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-S4-USB-Receiver-Black/dp/B008200LHW/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407785002&sr=8-1&keywords=BU-353-S4

                      73, Bob, WB4SON
                    • Graham
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 11, 2014
                        I tried replying earlier but I think I sent my reply to an individual
                        rather than the list.

                        However, lots of good suggestions being given.

                        Other choices with respect to software.

                        Nmeatime is a commercial product ($20) but well reviewed which will do
                        what you ask from an attached USB interfaced GPS receiver.

                        Also, you could also use a program called GPSD which will interface to
                        your GPS and that will in turn feed NTP. Both applications are available
                        for windows or linux and will keep your PC's clock well within 1/2
                        second, more likely within 100mS.

                        cheers, Graham ve3gtc

                      • chas cartmel
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 12, 2014
                          Bill
                          I suggested that feature some weeks ago to enable communication with
                          stations whose clocks are off advising them of such. If slightly off i use
                          JT65 HF which is more tolerant of time differences.

                          Can you use a mobile (cell) phone as a local WiFi hotspot and connect to NTP
                          that way?

                          73
                          Charlie
                          www.G4EST.me.uk

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 12, 2014
                            Thanks to all for the many good suggestions.  Charlie, G4EST, had previously suggested a button, similar to the +2K button, that would change the time just by clicking on it.  His idea would not require purchasing a GPS unit, or possibly software.  It has the advantage of using it to communicate with a station whose time is ‘off’, and then being able to reverse the change right after the QSO.  Maybe it’s something to add to the wish list.  Many thanks to those who make these digital modes possible.

                            73, Bill WA7SJN

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 24, 2014
                              I was intrigued by article in latest QST, page 33 think is, about
                              converting older computers to Linux.

                              I installed Ubuntu 12.x on my old box and blew out XP. Have connected
                              to internet with Fire Fox and very interesting how it found my service
                              provider and surfed. Very fast and impressive.

                              I would like to add WSJT-X to it, but the instructions on Joe's site
                              might as well be in Martian.

                              I would like to get the new Linux box up and running on both JT65 and
                              JT9, plus RTTY, with an ICOM 7000. With the old XP set up, I have used
                              both a Signal Link and a Buxcom interface, with this radio.

                              If someone could help me off the reflector, it would be most
                              appreciated. Thank you.

                              73,

                              Mark N7MQ
                            • David Tanks
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 24, 2014
                                PLEASE DON'T reply off reflector! I, and probably many others, have not taken the Linux plunge, and need some encouragement from experienced Linux users. So, please reply to the reflector. I am interested!

                                73, David AD4TJ

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 24, 2014
                                  On Sun,8/24/2014 4:57 PM, David Tanks ad4tj@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                                  > PLEASE DON'T reply off reflector! I, and probably many others, have
                                  > not taken the Linux plunge, and need some encouragement from
                                  > experienced Linux users. So, please reply to the reflector. I am
                                  > interested!

                                  My shack logging computer is a 5-year old Thinkpad T61 running XP Pro.
                                  On the advice of N6NUL, a smart guy who writes code for Oracle, I chose
                                  to load Linux onto it using a free Oracle product called Virtual Box.
                                  VBox installs in Windows, then lets you create one or more new "boxes"
                                  into which you can load another OS of your own choice. The beauty of
                                  this combination is that I can continue to use all the existing software
                                  that I know and love in XP Pro, while using Linux in VBox for my
                                  browser. VBox can be set up so that the Host OS (XP Pro) shares
                                  directories that you choose. Note that with dual boot, you're on one
                                  partition or the other, so file sharing would have to be via USB, and,
                                  of course, there's the time it takes to shut down and boot.

                                  I've just gone through the setup on two machines -- the Win7 box that I
                                  use for email, antenna modeling, and everything outside the shack, and
                                  that shack computer. As with anything we do with setting up a new OS,
                                  there are wrinkles, and there is a learning curve. The doc for VBox is
                                  excellent. The doc for Linux is less wonderful.

                                  Wrinkle #1 - while VBox appears to be fairly mature, the current version
                                  for Windoze (3.14) has a bug that makes it vulnerable to some virus
                                  software. and the fix (3.15) has a problem that won't let me mount a
                                  Linux image file. So, on advice from a users forum, I loaded 3.12, which
                                  works fine.

                                  Wrinkle #2 - file sharing requires another disc image called Guest
                                  Additions, which installs pretty painlesslyfor a Windoze host running a
                                  Windoze guest But Guest Additions is FAR more complicated in Linux,
                                  mostly due to security built into the system, but also because you've
                                  got to learn the new OS.

                                  After studying the possibilities, I chose the Lubuntu version of Linux,
                                  primarily because its resource requirements are less demanding of
                                  vintage hardware. Lubuntu is Ubunto with a less fancy GUI, so I'll
                                  probably buy a book on Ubuntu. BTW -- I did try to load Mint with it's
                                  more compact GUI (Mate?), but it wouldn't load into VBox on either of my
                                  machines. I don't know why.

                                  I did a second box on my Win7 machine so that I can run a vintage
                                  version of Quattro Pro. which requires XP Pro or older. That was the
                                  easiest to do -- no issues with Guest Additions. So far, I haven't
                                  actually USED any of these boxes yet, and I'm still struggling with
                                  Guest Additions for the Linux box in the Win7 machine.

                                  I'm a veteran of the "OS/2 wars" back in the 80s/90s, and I spent far
                                  more time trying to get it to run all software I needed for my
                                  consulting business than for productive work, so I'll never dump XP Pro
                                  from these machines as long as they're still working for me. I want to
                                  play radio, not keep computers running. :) But this FREE combination
                                  allows me to take XP Pro off the internet, and I have Linux available to
                                  me for those times when the software is the better solution.

                                  I'm a complete newbie to Linux, so don't take my advice for any more
                                  than that. But I have been using computers since 1982, beginning with
                                  CP/M (a predecessor of DOS).

                                  73, Jim K9YC
                                • ki7mt
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 24, 2014
                                    Hi Mark,

                                    Welcome to Linux :-)

                                    As requested, I'll send you an off list response, but for the benefit of others, I'll post a couple comments on-list as well.

                                    Several major *Nix Distros include WSJT-X in their software repositories. Ubuntu 12.04.x ( I'm presume your on point release .4 or .5 now ) has WSJT-X available in the Ubuntu Software Centre (Revision r3496 I believe), which you can install with one click. Simply use the search box to find it. Installing  / Building from source (developer versions) is possible, but is far beyond the scope here. As for RTTY, there are several options, but my personal preference is Fldigi, which is also available in the Ubuntu Software centre.

                                    As your New to Linux in general (I'm not affiliated with Andy's project in any way, but I'm certainly an advocate),  I would recommend looking at a Linux Distribution from Andy KB1OIQ, called "Andy's Ham Radio Linux":

                                    Installed Package Link:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/

                                    It is based on Ubuntu 14.04.1 (the latest point release), and has many Ham Radio apes pre-installed, ready to go. This will make things much easier for you to start off with, not to mention, it targets older, low resource systems.

                                    Just to name a few apps: WSJT, WSJT-X, VOCAP, Hamlib (rig control), Fldigi (digital modes / CW / RTTY), CQRLog (excellent logging app), TQSL (LoTW), and many more.

                                    You can see an extensive list of applications here:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/files/?source=navbar

                                    Just as Ham Radio is a never ending learning curve, so is Linux, so bare that in mind when the volumes of information that's heading your way :-)

                                    73's
                                    Greg, KI7MT

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 24, 2014
                                        HI Mark,

                                        My Bad, WSJT, not WSJT-X is available in the Ubuntu SW Centre for 12.04.  WSJT-X is via PPA. It is in the repo's for 14.04 though. Install info can be found here:

                                        http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html

                                        I sent you an update / additional info off-list also.

                                        73
                                        Greg, KI7MT