Sound card help pse

  • mwp7radio
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2014
      Hope on right group.  I recently went to WSJT-X v1.3 rev. 3673, after years of using JT65 HF and JT9 stand alone.  I am finding less than 50% decodes on JT65, and have JT65 only checked.

      Read Guide more closely, decided may be the sound card setting is not to the 16 bit, 48000 Hz [DVD Quality], assuming I have that option, described in the Guide  When I go to the sound card settings, the Advanced Properties is greyed out and not found a way into that setting.

      Using XP Pro on 5/6 year old Dell.  This computer seems to do much better decodes on JT65HF.

      Tips or suggestions be appreciated.

      73,

      Mark N7MQ

    • chas cartmel
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2014

        Mark

        If i can offer some advice other than the sound card issue, WSJT-X seems for sensitive to clock error than JT65HF so better synch might help. I use meinberg here. If a ststion does not decode on WSJT due to a clock error of -1.3 (or greater) I sometimes fire up JT65HF to grab the callsign and attempt to contact the guy to advise of the clock error.

        You don’t say what sound card you are using. Is it the integrated one, an internal add-on card, or an external USB dongle.

        I replaced my dongle with an internal Soundblaster card a year or so back (not an expensive one – around $25) and reception was vastly improved.

        As XP is now defunct as regards support I would suggest an upgrade to the OS. Mine went to Windows 7, however this kit is not used for Amateur radio but for my dedicated PlanePlotter server.

        73

        Charlie

        www.G4EST.me.uk

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2014
          Hi Mark,

          many decodes failing is indeed a symptom of an incorrect default sound card sample rate setting. On Windows XP the default rate setting is in the domain of the device driver and any associated control panel helpers. This means that different hardware with manufacturer supplied drivers have different settings tools. I cannot tell you exactly where to look for your card's default rate setting but it should be accessible somehow from the control panel "Sounds" icon.

          48kHz sample rate is essential in XP for WSJT-X since the operating system rate converter is badly broken and distorts audio streams significantly.

          Windows XP has no proper concept of sharing a sound device, this means that the first application to attach to a sound device has exclusive control on settings. you probably need to ensure that no other application has the sound device open before you attempt to change its settings.

          Hope this helps & 73
          Bill
          G4WJS.
        • Joe Subich, W4TV
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2014
            > Windows XP has no proper concept of sharing a sound device, this
            > means that the first application to attach to a sound device has
            > exclusive control on settings. you probably need to ensure that no
            > other application has the sound device open before you attempt to
            > change its settings.

            This also means that Windows can not use the sound card you are using
            for WSJT-X as the "system default" or "default communications" device.
            By using the sound card as the default, Windows will open the device
            and lock the sample rate.

            One is best served to use a second sound card and dedicate it to
            amateur purposes. Not only does that bypass sample rate (and input)
            locking it also assures that windows sounds/alarms/streaming go to
            the system speakers rather than to the *radio*!

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

            On 2014-08-03 4:49 AM, bill.8@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
            > Hi Mark,
            >
            > many decodes failing is indeed a symptom of an incorrect default sound card sample rate setting. On Windows XP the default rate setting is in the domain of the device driver and any associated control panel helpers. This means that different hardware with manufacturer supplied drivers have different settings tools. I cannot tell you exactly where to look for your card's default rate setting but it should be accessible somehow from the control panel "Sounds" icon.
            >
            > 48kHz sample rate is essential in XP for WSJT-X since the operating system rate converter is badly broken and distorts audio streams significantly.
            >
            > Windows XP has no proper concept of sharing a sound device, this means that the first application to attach to a sound device has exclusive control on settings. you probably need to ensure that no other application has the sound device open before you attempt to change its settings.
            >
            > Hope this helps & 73
            > Bill
            > G4WJS.

          • Mark Perrin