6m update from KH8 - third moonpass

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2014
      July 15, 2014 - Third moonpass. We are truly very fortunate with the weather here!
      Although it rains during the day, it has been clearing off each night for visual
      moon tracking during most of the operating hours ;-) This is especially fortunate
      for operation on 6m EME, because I am having to elevate my antenna to its maximum (60
      degrees) and interlace the elements in between the dacron guy ropes. When the ropes
      become wet, there can be lots of problems when the elements hit the mast's guy
      ropes. However, if they are dry, it is possible to elevate without having the
      amplifier shut down as the elements hit the wet guy ropes during extreme
      elevations. Tonight the maximum elevation was only around 81 degrees, which means
      the moon was 21 degrees off my beam heading. I can only imagine what kind of lobe
      there must be at that point! However, the ground gain of some Region 2 horizon-only
      stations certainly made up for the aiming limitations on my end!

      Tonight was filled with a number of surprises. One troubling one is that I seem to
      have an infected toe...I will try to seek some medical attention tomorrow. On a
      more positive note, we arrived at the site tonight with an extra 30 minutes to spare
      before moonrise, and I had a chance to check for terrestrial activity. There were
      two KH6 beacons coming in, and I finally raised some activity o on 50.125, working
      WH6XM and KH6/KB6EGA and WH7FC. I also later worked KH7Y on CW off the side of my
      antenna while I was answering EME callers on JT65A mode.

      Another surprise was a number of calls on 6m EME from new stations I didn't even know
      had EME capability! Many MANY thanks to all who turned out give a call! Yesterday
      we had displays by low flying "Flying Foxes", Samoa's huge fruit bats. And Sunday
      night I found a number of large brown toads when I went out to aim the antenna - very
      similar to our experience a few year ago in 3D2. Tonight I was introduced to the
      huge coconut land crab! Bob bravely inserted his foot in the photo for scale ;-)

      Tonight I copied (but did not work) K8WW, EI4DQ, K7RWT, W9GA, K6EME, W3UUM, W6XU,
      KF8MY, W7UT and OH6MIK. I completed with the following stations, bringing the total
      up to 21 6m EME stations worked so far: G8BCG, KB8RQ, VE3KH, VE3MMQ, JG2BRI, OA4TT
      and ES6RQ.

      --
      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)

      page (above)!
    • Lance Collister, W7GJ
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2014
        Sorry for the delay in updating things here - I have been kinda busy ;-)

        Thursday July 17, 2014 - Fourth moon pass. I was on from moonrise to moonset.
        Again, the night time skies were clear enough for visual aiming practically all the
        time. Having no serious rain storms while I am at high elevations REALLY helps,
        since I have to shut down if the lower elements are in contact with the wet dacron
        guy ropes. Stations worked this moon pass were: On4GG, F6BKI, G4IGO, CT1HZE,
        ZL3NW, N6RMJ, W6XU, K7RWT, K8WW, W7IUV, E51SL (Es), YT1AR, SM7FJE, IW5DHN (who still
        decoded me when my moon was down to -2 degrees elevation!), and SM7AED. That
        brought the total 6m EME stations in the log to 41. Copied but NOT worked were:
        G8VR, W4IMD, W4CSW, N9FTC, K5RK, K5AM, W7EW, OH6MIK, HA0DU, and YU7EF.

        Friday, July 18, 2015 - Fifth moon pass. I confess that I finally crashed :-( I
        slept 14 hours and missed the EU moonset and NA moonsets :-( However, during the EU
        moonrise, I worked OH6MIK, HA7TM, YU7EF and HA0DU, bringing the total 6m EME worked
        to 45 so far. Stations copied but NOT worked were: S51DI, YO9HP, LZ2WO, 9A8A,
        OZ1DJJ, S57RR, SV8CS and UZ5DZ.

        Just a reminder - PSE PSE only send me MSG #2 (calls and OOO reports) if you are
        seeing my trace in the previous period. I use that to determine who I can work most
        quickly. I will usually try 3 times to reply to such stations with calls and OOO
        reports to them, but if they don't reply by then with RO, I will move on to someone
        else and they are at the bottom of the list (because I just assume they are sending
        the wrong message all the time anyway).

        We are working quickly through the list of active 6m EME stations, and the windows
        with EU are increasing, so there are still some good chances even though the
        Degradation is on the increase. Remember, I have a negative horizon of 2 degrees on
        both moonrise and moonset - with ground gain lobes there! - so PSE do not wait until
        my moon is over zero degrees to look for me! Tomorrow I will take some photos of
        my moonrise and moonset out over the ocean with NOTHING in the way ;-)

        MANY of the stations I have worked have been single yagi stations. The smallest was
        again N3CXV using his 6M5X yagi aimed at the horizon during his moonset. If you are
        a serious 6m DXer, please give me a call on 50.190 JT65A mode during your moonset.
        As long as you coordinate your calling frequency with others on the ON4KST EME CHAT
        page, you will not be QRMing anyone else. Just do NOT change your frequency once
        you have started calling, because the DF of the callers is what I record and that is
        how I track what stations are sending what ;-) It is very unlikely that we will copy
        each other best at exactly the same time, so it is nice if I can at least get a jump
        on a contact with you by decoding you first - PSE do NOT wait until you decode me to
        start warming up your XMTR!

        A final HUGE THANK YOU to everyone for using the ON4KST EME CHAT page so well to
        coordinate your calling frequencies! I have not missed any contacts due to QRM
        caused by stations on top of each other. You have done an OUTSTANDING JOB of
        spreading out! I am sure that is one of the reasons so many stations have made it
        into the log so far, despite the VERY short window with EU! I have been able to
        access that page from time to time while I am operating, but I only rarely look at
        it, because I am busy enough decoding all the callers each sequence, making notes,
        completing contacts and aiming the antenna. If you have any questions about how to
        work me, please see the KH8 DXpedition page at my website, or ask some of the helpful
        6m EME stations on the ON4KST EME CHAT page.

        And also, thanks for the many well wishers. My infected toe is getting much better
        now that I have been on antibiotics for a few days. I still have having trouble
        following the instructions of the Russian doctor at the hospital Emergency Room,
        though. He said I needed to stay in bed for 5 days with my foot elevated. I thanked
        him for the appointment and prescription, but explained that bedrest just was not in
        the published operating schedule on my website ;-)

        I plan to be QRV from moonrise to moonset on Saturday and Sunday, and PROBABLY also
        Monday. I hope to CU on the moon for a REAL long path contact of half a million miles!

        GL and VY 73, Lance

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2014
          The following is the update for Saturday July 19 from my webpage. Several people
          brought to my attention that I omitted a summary for July 16, and I have added that
          to the web page at:

          http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/AmericanSamoa2014.htm

          Saturday, July 19, 2015 - 7th moon pass. On again from moonrise to moonset. Weather
          was again good, but the most windy period so far. Stations worked were S57RR,
          EA8DBM, G3WOS, ON4AOI, G5WQ, KD3UY, W3UUM, UT7QF, 9A8A and OZ1DJJ, bringing the total
          contacts so far on 6m EME to 55. Stations copied but not worked were PA3HP, LA8AJA,
          EA3AKY, GM4WJA, G8VR, K6EME, JR1LZK, K4PI, KF8MY, N5DG, W9GA, K7MAC,UR5LAK, OH2BC,
          OH7TE, YO9HP, UZ5DZ, LA8AJA and PA3HP. Conditions were were worse than yesterday due
          to the increasing Degradation (now up over 4 dB) but that still does not explain the
          difficulty we had with QSB and other total blanking out of signals. I am wondering
          if the KH8 moonset is being disrupted now by tropo ducting effects, now that it is
          taking place during heated daylight hours. We could see what looked like fog over
          the distant ocean horizon today, which suggests the possibility of signal entrapment
          when the antennas are aimed at the horizon. I have experienced this before when
          running with stations experiencing such weather conditions; their EME signals
          basically disappeared when the moon dropped below 10 degrees elevation. We are
          hoping to make up for it by contacting more new stations tomorrow, and will be on
          again from moonrise to moonset.

          Hope to CU off the moon soon! VY 73, Lance

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21, 2014
            The following is the update for Saturday July 20 and July 21 from my webpage.

            http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/AmericanSamoa2014.htm

            Saturday, July 19, 2015 - 7th moon pass. On again moonrise to moonset. Kp was 0.3,
            and the Degradation was -4.4 dB. The moonrise seemed to be somewhat impaired and I
            wonder if it might have been trapping due to some sort of tropospheric inversions on
            this end. There seemed to be fog or mist over the ocean, and I have seen such
            trapping taking place on other stations when they were aimed on the horizon. In
            addition, the moonsets (now during the day) suffered severely, probably due to the
            high TEC levels toward the west at mid-day. During moonset, no signals at all were
            heard for many sequences, and the band seemed extremely erratic, with signals
            suddenly appearing once and then completely disappearing.

            However, despite these less than ideal conditions, there still seemed to be a number
            of stations anxious to try to work this rare DXCC. I completed with PA3HP, LA8AJA,
            G4FUF, W7GJ (special thanks to the "Home Team" of KB7Q, AJ7LL, K7VK and K7PX!),
            OH2BC, JR6EXN, and UZ5DZ. Stations copied but not worked were: OK1RD, HB9Q, EA7KW,
            GM4WJA, JR1LZK, VK5PO, K4RX, W4CSW, N8OC, W5UN, K7MAC, YO9HP, OZ7OX, S51DI, PE1L,
            UR7DWW, and LZ2WO.

            Monday, July 21, 2015 - 8th moon pass. As previously announced, I was only QRV from
            KH8 moonrise through JA moonrise. Degradation was -4.8 dB and Kp = 1.0. Again,
            extensive Es from western EU to the eastern half of NA severely interfered with
            stations beaming toward their moonset. The only stations worked were OZ4VV and
            GM4WJA, bringing the total worked so far up to 64, far surpassing the totals from
            previous 6m EME DXpeditions ;-) The number of stations capable of 6m EME is greatly
            increasing! Stations copied but not worked were IK5MEN, OK1RD, HB9Q, and JR1LZK.
            Thanks to everyone for your patience and attempts under adverse conditions! I hope
            that we can have better success during the final days of operation next weekend,
            Saturday July 26 and Sunday, July 27. Even though it is full moon next weekend, the
            Degradation will be considerably lower, and unless the sun is abnormally active and
            there is unusually intense Es in NA and EU, there should be some good chances for
            those who still are close to making a contact. Best of luck to you all, and rest
            assured that I will be QRV again moonrise to moonset on both Saturday and Sunday next
            weekend, looking hard for new stations! I will be starting to dismantle the station
            after KH8 moonset on July 27, and will take down the antenna and pack it up to leave
            American Samoa on Monday July 28.

            GL and VY 73, Lance

            --
            Lance Collister, W7GJ
            (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ)

            page (above)!