WSJT-X 1.3 closes by itself

  • Mike2673
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 14, 2014

      I am having problems with WSJT-X on my /1 computer.  Last year I had used JT65-HF, but I have since moved away from the program at home.  However, here in CT, WSJT-X simply isn't cooperating with my Windows 7 netbook.

      WSJT-X closes on its own after a period of time (seems like 30 mins to an hour), but the bigger problem is it likes to close when I double click a CQ.  There is no error message, the program just closes.  I checked the Windows App Log and don't see any messages.  WSJT-X can be re-opened by any changes since I last manually closed it are lost.  So, I've only been able to save settings by closing it after each change.

      Maybe I should try an older version or disable split or disable CAT control.  Any other suggestions would be most welcome.  Otherwise, I may need to run the old program, which has its limits.

      Thanks,

      Mike

      K6MSM (/1)

    • k3wyc
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 15, 2014

        It's not just you, or your setup.  I'm running r3673 and also see spontaneous shut down, but not nearly as frequently as you do.   Sometime it will run for days, other times it shuts down within a few minutes if being started.  It has not cost me any QSO yet.

        I'm running Win 8.1 64 bit with cat/split active and polling interval 5.  I do sometimes see CAT fail but there is not a CAT fail message associated with the shut down.  The shut downs are not associated with making a transmission (to head of any suggestions of RFI)

        73,

        Andy k3wyc

      • Rudy Benner
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 15, 2014
          Does the problem go away if you run with CAT turned off?

          rudy ve3bdr

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 15, 2014

            I don't know.   I always run split and never operate with CAT off.

            73,

            Andy k3wyc

          • Kai
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 15, 2014
              Mike
              There are issues with WSJT-X and Windows 8.1, when also using USB audio card.  It is the only program that crashed Windows 8.1, forcing a restart with no warning, no error message. On restart, one time, I did get an error on a "green screen":
              PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA   with ha reference to an issue with "usbaudio.sys" file.
              Windows restarted beore I could copy anything else.
              HERE's THE THING: I use the same computer, same hardware (Signalink-USB) and same radio with Digipan, MMTTY and JT65-HF with not a hint of problems. I can make QSOs galore. They work flawlessly. As soon as I start WSJT-X 1.3, if the USB sound card is connected the software causes a windows crash and re-start.
              WSJT-X 1.3 WITHOUT connection to a USB sound card also works OK, I can decode the test .wav files.

              I've lost count of things to try. But for now I'm stuck with JT65-HF until there is a fix.  ANY TAKERS?
              THERE IS A FLAW IN WSJT-X 1.3.

              I don't have access to the Beta 1.4, but am ready and willing to test it when it does become available.

              73
              Kai, KE4PT

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 15, 2014
                I should add:
                I am using a Dell 3100 laptop, with no USB devices connected except for the Signalink-USB sound card.
                I tested with and without a radio connected to the soundcard - same result (no surprise, it's a software issue).

                -Kai, KE4PT

                On 7/15/2014 3:30 PM, Kai k.siwiak@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                Mike
                There are issues with WSJT-X and Windows 8.1, when also using USB audio card.  It is the only program that crashed Windows 8.1, forcing a restart with no warning, no error message. On restart, one time, I did get an error on a "green screen":
                PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA   with a reference to an issue with "usbaudio.sys" file.
                Windows restarted before I could copy anything else.
[...]

              • Ed Wilson
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 15, 2014
                  Kai,

                  Try WSJT-X 1.3 without CAT enabled. I use Windows 7/32 and the SignalLink and it has been rock solid for me in that mode. When I enable CAT, I experience random shutdowns of WSJT-X. I understand that version 1.4 is addressing the CAT issues with a total rebuild of that capability. I have not tested 1.4 however.

                  Ed, K0KC

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 15, 2014
                    Hi Ed,
                    Thanks for the hint, but CAT was not enable. I just double checked.

                    73
                    Kai, KE4PT

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 15, 2014
                      I too have experienced the shutdown on a couple of systems - all with the latest v1.3 build on 64-bit Windows 7 systems. There's been some discussions on this email list about possible reasons ... hoping that some of the changes in the next version to be released may help remedy it.

                      Bob W1QA
                    • Andrew O'Brien
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 15, 2014
                        Same happens here, Windows 8.1
                        Andy K3UK
                      • Don Hill AA5AU
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 15, 2014

                          Interesting to see how many are having this issue. I’ve been running Windows 8.1 64-bit with WSJT-X v1.3, r3673 for a couple months now with no issues. I am using the internal sound card on my Dell desktop PC. So I guess it’s not a 64-bit issue.

                          I just picked up on this thread so maybe I missed some things, but did someone mention USB soundcards as a possible problem?

                          I do know that if you are using hardware with a driver that Windows 8 doesn’t like, it will cause problems. Before I had the correct driver installed for my 4-port serial card, it would cause the whole PC to want to shut down. So I’m wondering if it’s a hardware driver issue and not the program.

                          73, Don AA5AU

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 15, 2014
                            What's interesting to me about these missives is that no one has even apparently tried to build v1.4 from source (or if they have, I've missed it) and see if that does indeed improve things. As far as I know, v1.4 is available from source and is considered Beta in development. I've got a copy running on a machine, so I know it does exist and can be built. Everyone within the project is working to improve the software, in so far as schedules, resources and life, as it happens, allows. If you have identified a specific weakness, then please, bring it to the attention of the development team. Make certain to record your decodes/files for a full review- otherwise, you are wasting everyones time- including yours! The development team can be reached on another mailing list than this particular one, as it happens: wsjt-devel@...

                            There seems to be enough reports that something is the matter on the bleeding edge- but no one seems interested in finding out if it is because they haven't upgraded (upgraded "what" is a great question) or not, or whether it is their own station environment, or not, drivers or not, or whether anything else could ever possibly be the matter at all anywhere on the planet, for that matter. As most of these complaints are Windows based, I may have some advantage, as I don't run a Windows station (even though I have 1.4 built on one Vista instance and it seems to work fine and doesn't crash after being connected to a Signalink for more than 24 hours, etc.) and instead prefer to use OS X as my OS of choice, with Ubuntu as a distant second. 1.4 is working fine in both instances and environments.

                            I don't speak for Joe, Bill, Greg or any of the other team that I interface with (I just help out with the documentation, which in WSJT-X 1.4 is going to blow your mind, if I do say so myself; and in fact, I may be kicked for speaking my mind here), but I do know they are very hard at work doing what they do best. If you have an actual problem and can diagnose it to the benefit of others, then please, send in those reports. We need your help! If you've found something that seems Vista specific, speak it out and give evidence; if you think 8.1 doesn't work right, then speak out AND GIVE EVIDENCE- youtube it, please. We need error messages combined with full configurations; aberrant behavior and hearsay simply isn't helpful.

                            Otherwise, and what common sense would tell you, if you are having such a significant problem with the free software, then please, downgrade to where you had it better and use that version until such time you want to try something new and refreshing. In that way, you could still make Q's and have a blast!

                            --
                            Chase Turner
                            W4TI
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 16, 2014
                              Don,
                              To bring you up to speed...
                              My win 8.1 issue relates to the use of a USB external sound card.

                              NOTE AGAIN: Digipan, MMTTY, JT65-HF all work flawlessly with the same computer + Signalink-USB,
                              AND:  WSJT-X 1.3 works with its test .wav files if I don't connect the USB sound card.
                              That narrows the issue down to the WSJT-X 1.3 software.

                              Once again, the error message I got ONCE after my lap top restarted after the crash was
                              on a "green screen":

                              PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA   with a reference to an issue with "usbaudio.sys" file.

                              but, Windows restarted before I could copy anything else. Subsequent tests and crashes did not "grace" me with that same error message, and I don't know how to trap the error or the message.

                              No other USB devices are connected to the Dell 3138 laptop, and CAT in WSJT-X is set to "off".

                              Sure would appreciate help!

                              73
                              Kai, KE4PT

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 16, 2014
                                What is interesting to ME is that 1.4 does not seem to be available anywhere to test!
                                I'll gladly test it with my configuration. Where is it available?

                                There are no decode files available. The moment WSJT-X 1.3 starts with the USB card connected Windos 8.1 crashes and restarts. Ho can I trap an error?  Once I got the message, after restart,
                                I did get an error on a "green screen":
                                PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA   with a reference to an issue with "usbaudio.sys" file.
                                Windows restarted before I could copy anything else.
                                Can you possibly alert the development team to this issue? The last few emails should give you the details.

                                What will "blow my mind" is a version of WSJT-X that does not crash Windows as soon as I start the program.

                                Thanks, and 73
                                Kai, KE4PT

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 16, 2014
                                  Chase,
                                  One more point:
                                  I do very much appreciate the very hard work of the team developing this software, and I want to express many THANKS to all of you.
                                  Also, Chase, as you suggested, I have been using what works (JT65-HF), so I have access to JT65 QSOs, but would dearly love to try JT9, which means moving to WSJT-X.
                                  Many of us are sending in reports of WSJT-X / USB audio issues, but your acknoledgement is the first I've seen from the development team.

                                  How can I/we provide further assistance? How can I get a Windows version of 1.4 to test with my configuration?

                                  I'll gladly help with reports of behavior / misbehavior of the software, but I can't do it without feedback, and a copy of 1.4.

                                  Thanks again and 73,
                                  Kai, KE4PT

                                  On 7/16/2014 2:22 PM, Kai k.siwiak@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
[...]

                                • g4wjs
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 16, 2014
                                    Hi All,

                                    this thread has several reports of "crash" issues with WSJT-X v1.3. It seems clear to me that there is more than one issue being reported here.

                                    1) One is the silent closing of the program for no apparent reason after a period of time, sometimes several hours.

                                    2) Another seems related to some action by the operator, I think when initiating a transmission period. This is not easily repeatable.

                                    3) Another appears to be causing a complete system crash.

                                    The above is a very simplistic triage based on reported symptoms, there could easily be more that three different issues in reality, nevertheless I will try and address these separately.

                                    1) This issue has been reported by a fairly large proportion of users. We (the developers) are not able to reproduce this and therefore diagnose the root cause. Many changes are pending release and some are reasonable extensive changes to the source code. There is evidence that this issue has been resolved and v1.4 will be more stable. It is quite possible that the issue actually lies in the framework we utilize to provide services from the operating system and peripherals like audio and graphics. Because newer releases are usually built against newer releases of this underlying framework; we often see issues resolved and performance improvements where we have made no relevant changes to our source code.

                                    2) The WSJT-X code is not perfect, no software of non-trivial nature ever is, so there are corner cases that can exercise untested code that has defects in it. Actions like starting transmit and immediately returning to receive for example, in my experience, can get the software into a defective state. It is possible that this sort of behavior is a consequence of that or similar unusual usage patterns. It could be as simple as operator action at an unfortunate time in the program cycle. Being able to reproduce such cases is fundamental to diagnosing them and fixing the causal defect.

                                    3) It should not be possible for a program purely in the user domain (i.e. not a device driver and not part of the operating system kernel) to cause a system crash. The mere fact that this happens is evidence that the problem lies outside of a user mode application like WSJT-X. Any such crash is most likely to be due to a defective device driver or defective hardware. Having said that, it is possible that the underlying framework we use to talk to the operating system is triggering such a crash, if device drivers or system kernel code is defective. There isn't a great deal we can do about this since we work at a level where we just make "normal" requests to this framework. As with (2) we can hope that the next version which will be built against a newer version of the framework and may no longer trigger such behavior. In this case since the system crash issue appears to be only being reported by one user; I would expect that the problem really lies in their system or hardware rather than in the WSJT-X code or any tools or frameworks we utilize to deliver WSJT-X.

                                    There are several comments about not having access to the next release. WSJT-X is open source software and those with the prerequisite skills are welcome to build the application from the latest source code. The reason that a beta release of WSJT-X v1.4 is not yet available is because there are still issues to be resolved and as it stands it would probably impact more users adversely than it will resolve issues for existing users. Everyone who works on WSJT-X offers their time and resources FOC and all have other activities that have priority so a firm release schedule is unlikely to be published.

                                    Unfortunately it is unlikely that fixes to v1.3 other than those that are coming in the next release will be applied. We are not in the business of supporting a commercial product with specific contracts with customers to fix defects in parallel to new product releases. Please be patient and hopefully reassured that WSJT-X is being worked on and we will make our best efforts to improve features, performance and, reliability. A beta release of WSJT-X v1.4 is not that far away and we look forward to feedback from those who opt to run it when it becomes available.

                                    73
                                    Bill
                                    G4WJS.
                                  • ki7mt
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 16, 2014
                                      Hi Kai,

                                      WSJT-X v1.4 is available for anyone to test, Windows, Linux and Mac. You have to build it from source. Bill posted the process for Linux a few days ago, maybe he could restate the Windows build process as a refresher.

                                      73's
                                      Greg, KI7MT

                                      On 07/16/2014 12:22 PM, Kai k.siwiak@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:

                                      What is interesting to ME is that 1.4 does not seem to be available anywhere to test!
                                      I'll gladly test it with my configuration. Where is it available?

                                      There are no decode files available. The moment WSJT-X 1.3 starts with the USB card connected Windos 8.1 crashes and restarts. Ho can I trap an error?  Once I got the message, after restart, I did get an error on a "green screen":

                                      Message 19 of 22 , Jul 16, 2014

                                        I uninstalled 1.3 and installed 1.2.  The netbook computer did not have an older version before, but thought I'd try it.  The frequency of spontaneous closes seems to have decreased, but I've had a couple of crashes when going into configuration.  Most of the time the program just closes, with no error, but I just got an error last time I went into configuration.  I have the Windows application error log, which I will try and submit to the other group.

                                        I should add that my netbook runs Windows 7 Starter, so maybe there's a problem with that OS and WSJT-X.  My rig here in /1 is an Icom IC-706MKIIG.

                                        I've also disabled CAT to see if it helps.

                                        73,

                                        Mike K6MSM (/1)

                                      • Chase Turner
                                        Message 20 of 22 , Jul 16, 2014
                                          Hi Kai, all,

                                          I think my words have come off the wrong way; I certainly didn't intend to fan any flames or foster resentment amongst anyone, believe me. I appreciate that people enjoy this bit of software (I'm a fan, too!) and that it's free for all to use.

                                          I also know that people are having difficulty with their setups- and, as is reported, apparently across many different versions of Windows. I did not mean to belittle anyone by suggesting that they weren't having problems- because I understand that people are. It's just that, unfortunately, the dev team isn't able to duplicate the problem, and so, it makes the problem, whatever it is, even more vexing.

                                          Kai, when you reported you were having problems, I went and got my radio from my friends place (live in a high rise, so radio is a little difficult here) and hooked up my signalink/ic-7000/vista/ wsjt-x 1.3 and let it go overnight with a camera in front of it to record any problems. I did this because I've often enjoyed your articles in QST and thought, "gee, if Kai is having problems, maybe I can help," but to no avail. I am not a member of the coders, so I don't know what else to do. I just work on the documentation, so I can't be of more help than I have been, which in this case, has been worthless, since I can't make my setup malfunction.

                                          The only advice I can give you is to attempt to build v1.4 from source and let us know how you get on. I wish there was more that I could do, but there isn't, and I'm sorry for that.

                                          There is another thing I should mention: sending in reports of problems is welcome and is encouraged! It's just that, not every problem can be fixed or identified, but that doesn't mean the coders aren't at least looking around, poking the computer with a stick, or whatever voodoo it is that they do. Sometimes the answer is unsatisfactory, but it isn't for lack of trying. If I've learned anything from the development team, it's that they try to figure out how to do something instead of figuring out why something won't work.

                                          Again, I do apologize if my words seemed harsh or critical. I was trying to be helpful and didn't do a very good job of that.

                                          Best,
                                          Chase
                                          --
                                          Chase Turner
                                          W4TI
                                          Message 21 of 22 , Jul 16, 2014
                                            Hi Chase,
                                            No apologies needed!  Rather I owe you thanks.  We are all on the same team here, and you are much more deeply involved than I am. Thanks for that. I guess you know from my QST works that I'm a propagation / antennas / communications / math guy who tolerates computers as a necessary device for radio communications.

                                            Over time, I'm sure, that this will be fixed, and I appreciate that mine is a vexing problem with few available clues. One non-WSTJ-X version does work for me (JT65-HF), so I'll
                                            enjoying JT65 QSOs, while patiently waiting for the next Beta release. .

                                            I'll do my best t chase the glitch on my machine, and inform the group of whatever I discover.
                                            Thanks again,
                                            73
                                            Kai, KE4PT

                                            Message 22 of 22 , Jul 17, 2014

                                              re " Actions like starting transmit and immediately returning to receive for example, in my experience, can get the software into a defective state"

                                              Yes, I have observed this several times.  One of the obvious symptoms is that the waterfall freezes.  Normal program operation is restored by a very brief "tune" but there are no decodes in that cycle.

                                              73,

                                              Andy k3wyc