2m Trans-Atlantic Terrestrial Reception

  • Sebastian, W4AS
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 7 11:50 AM
      For those interested in VHF, you might not be aware of this specialized on-going DXpedition:

      The first known terrestrial trans-atlantic 2 meter reception has occurred.  They are still hoping for a QSO of course, but this is a first.

      73 de Sebastian, W4AS

    • Jim Forsyth
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 7 11:54 AM
        Well a great feat but certainly not the first.

        Jim, AF6O

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 7 12:37 PM

          AF6O wrote:
          > Well a great feat but certainly not the first.

          Certainly not the first ???

          Hmmm... Exactly what precedent do you know of, that should have been
          documented and reported to the Irish radio Transmitters Society?

          For details about the Brendan Awards for "two-way trans Atlantic
          communications by radio amateurs using the Two Metre Band", see
          http://www.irts.ie/cgi/brendan.cgi

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT
        • Jim Forsyth
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 7 4:42 PM
            I do know of the G - VO1 tests in 1979 that were conducted from the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall England, did result in some receive success and were documented in the RSGB Bulletin. I'm not sure that there would have been any reason to report it to the IRTS, please enlighten me.

            Jim, AF6O

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 7 6:07 PM
              Hi Jim,

              Perhaps it's I who need to be enlightened. You said "certainly not the
              first". I suppose this means you know of reliable, well documented
              evidence of such a path being covered before. I am ignorant of this
              piece of propagation history. Can you elaborate ?

              -- Joe, K1JT

              On 7/7/2014 7:42 PM, Jim Forsyth jim@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
              > I do know of the G - VO1 tests in 1979 that were conducted from the
              > Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall England, did result in some receive success
              > and were documented in the RSGB Bulletin. I'm not sure that there would
              > have been any reason to report it to the IRTS, please enlighten me.
              >
              > Jim, AF6O
              >
              > On 7/7/2014 12:37 PM, Joe Taylor joe@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
              >>
              >> W4AS wrote:
              >> > The first known terrestrial trans-atlantic 2 meter reception has
              >> occurred.
              >>
              >> AF6O wrote:
              >> > Well a great feat but certainly not the first.
              >>
              >> Certainly not the first ???
              >>
              >> Hmmm... Exactly what precedent do you know of, that should have been
              >> documented and reported to the Irish radio Transmitters Society?
              >>
              >> For details about the Brendan Awards for "two-way trans Atlantic
              >> communications by radio amateurs using the Two Metre Band", see
              >> http://www.irts.ie/cgi/brendan.cgi
              >>
              >> -- 73, Joe, K1JT

            • Jim Forsyth
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 7 6:42 PM
                Joe, yes indeed I can enlighten you.

                Your supposition "this means you know of reliable, well documented
                evidence of such a path being covered before" is something that you have
                added to the thread that was not present in the post that I responded to
                and was not present in any of my responses either.

                The post I responded to simply said "The first known terrestrial
                trans-atlantic 2 meter reception has occurred". Since I know of other
                instances I simply pointed out that this was not the first. It's really
                very simple.

                BTW I believe there is a recording of that 1979 instance.

                Jim, AF6O

                On 7/7/2014 6:07 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
                > Hi Jim,
                >
                > Perhaps it's I who need to be enlightened. You said "certainly not
                > the first". I suppose this means you know of reliable, well
                > documented evidence of such a path being covered before. I am
                > ignorant of this piece of propagation history. Can you elaborate ?
                >
                > -- Joe, K1JT
                >
                > On 7/7/2014 7:42 PM, Jim Forsyth jim@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                >> I do know of the G - VO1 tests in 1979 that were conducted from the
                >> Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall England, did result in some receive success
                >> and were documented in the RSGB Bulletin. I'm not sure that there would
                >> have been any reason to report it to the IRTS, please enlighten me.
                >>
                >> Jim, AF6O

                >>> occurred.

                >>> Certainly not the first ???
                >>>
                >>> Hmmm... Exactly what precedent do you know of, that should have been
                >>> documented and reported to the Irish radio Transmitters Society?
                >>>
                >>> For details about the Brendan Awards for "two-way trans Atlantic
                >>> communications by radio amateurs using the Two Metre Band", see
                >>> http://www.irts.ie/cgi/brendan.cgi
                >>>
                >>> -- 73, Joe, K1JT

              • Sebastian, W4AS
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 7 7:54 PM
                  Jim please share with us whatever information you have about that 1979 test.

                  73 de Sebastian, W4AS

                  On Jul 07, 2014, at 9:42 PM, Jim Forsyth jim@... [wsjtgroup] <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  > Joe, yes indeed I can enlighten you.
                  >
                  > Your supposition "this means you know of reliable, well documented
                  > evidence of such a path being covered before" is something that you have
                  > added to the thread that was not present in the post that I responded to
                  > and was not present in any of my responses either.
                  >
                  > The post I responded to simply said "The first known terrestrial
                  > trans-atlantic 2 meter reception has occurred". Since I know of other
                  > instances I simply pointed out that this was not the first. It's really
                  > very simple.
                  >
                  > BTW I believe there is a recording of that 1979 instance.
                  >
                  > Jim, AF6O
                  >

                  > On 7/7/2014 6:07 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
                  >> Hi Jim,
                  >>
                  >> Perhaps it's I who need to be enlightened. You said "certainly not
                  >> the first". I suppose this means you know of reliable, well
                  >> documented evidence of such a path being covered before. I am
                  >> ignorant of this piece of propagation history. Can you elaborate ?
                  >>
                  >> -- Joe, K1JT
                  >>
                  >> On 7/7/2014 7:42 PM, Jim Forsyth jim@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                  >>> I do know of the G - VO1 tests in 1979 that were conducted from the
                  >>> Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall England, did result in some receive success
                  >>> and were documented in the RSGB Bulletin. I'm not sure that there would
                  >>> have been any reason to report it to the IRTS, please enlighten me.
                  >>>
                  >>> Jim, AF6O

                • Jim Forsyth
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 7 8:22 PM
                    Sebastian, I already did. See my earlier posts.

                    Jim

                    On 7/7/2014 7:54 PM, 'Sebastian, W4AS' w4as@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:

                    Jim please share with us whatever information you have about that 1979 test.

                    73 de Sebastian, W4AS

                    On Jul 07, 2014, at 9:42 PM, Jim Forsyth jim@... [wsjtgroup] <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    > Joe, yes indeed I can enlighten you.
                    >
                    > Your supposition "this means you know of reliable, well documented
                    > evidence of such a path being covered before" is something that you have
                    > added to the thread that was not present in the post that I responded to
                    > and was not present in any of my responses either.
                    >
                    > The post I responded to simply said "The first known terrestrial
                    > trans-atlantic 2 meter reception has occurred". Since I know of other
                    > instances I simply pointed out that this was not the first. It's really
                    > very simple.
                    >
                    > BTW I believe there is a recording of that 1979 instance.
                    >
                    > Jim, AF6O
                    >

                    > On 7/7/2014 6:07 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
                    >> Hi Jim,
                    >>
                    >> Perhaps it's I who need to be enlightened. You said "certainly not
                    >> the first". I suppose this means you know of reliable, well
                    >> documented evidence of such a path being covered before. I am
                    >> ignorant of this piece of propagation history. Can you elaborate ?
                    >>
                    >> -- Joe, K1JT
                    >>
                    >> On 7/7/2014 7:42 PM, Jim Forsyth jim@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                    >>> I do know of the G - VO1 tests in 1979 that were conducted from the
                    >>> Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall England, did result in some receive success
                    >>> and were documented in the RSGB Bulletin. I'm not sure that there would
                    >>> have been any reason to report it to the IRTS, please enlighten me.
                    >>>
                    >>> Jim, AF6O

                  • Joe Subich, W4TV
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 7 10:08 PM
                      But do you have any documentation of said reception or are you simply
                      repeating an urban legend? One would expect that IRTS would have
                      fully investigated any such claims prior to announcing the Brendan
                      Awards: http://www.irts.ie/cgi/brendan.cgi

                      73,

                      ... Joe, W4TV

                      On 2014-07-07 11:22 PM, Jim Forsyth jim@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                      > Sebastian, I already did. See my earlier posts.
                      >
                      > Jim
                      >

                      > On 7/7/2014 7:54 PM, 'Sebastian, W4AS' w4as@... [wsjtgroup]
                      > wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Jim please share with us whatever information you have about that 1979
                      >> test.
                      >>
                      >> 73 de Sebastian, W4AS
                      >>
                      >> On Jul 07, 2014, at 9:42 PM, Jim Forsyth jim@... [wsjtgroup]
                      >> <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > Joe, yes indeed I can enlighten you.
                      >> >
                      >> > Your supposition "this means you know of reliable, well documented
                      >> > evidence of such a path being covered before" is something that you
                      >> have
                      >> > added to the thread that was not present in the post that I
                      >> responded to
                      >> > and was not present in any of my responses either.
                      >> >
                      >> > The post I responded to simply said "The first known terrestrial
                      >> > trans-atlantic 2 meter reception has occurred". Since I know of other
                      >> > instances I simply pointed out that this was not the first. It's really
                      >> > very simple.
                      >> >
                      >> > BTW I believe there is a recording of that 1979 instance.
                      >> >
                      >> > Jim, AF6O

                      >> success
                      >> would

                    • Jeff Moore
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 7 11:09 PM
                        Jim,

                        So far you haven't shared much of anything.  You certainly haven't "elaborated" on a thing except your insistence that this has happened before.   Do you have any links to actual information about this alleged event?   You mention a recording, got a copy?  Got anything to back up your claim?  Just so you know, I've visited the RSGB web-site and after multiple searches came up empty.  Same thing with several Google searches - nothing to point me in a viable direction.  I would think that this would be a rather unusual event that would be well documented, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.  So either it's a figment of your imagination, or you haven't provided enough information to research it further.

                        7 3
                        Jeff Moore  --  KE7ACY

                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 8 4:06 AM
                          The tests in the late seventies involved G4DGU, G3SEK, G4DEZ (and
                          others) at this end, I recall there was a tape. If you check out the UK
                          VHF reflector there is a discussion on there.

                          73 Dave G4RGK

                          On 08/07/2014 02:07, Joe Taylor joe@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                          > Hi Jim,
                          >
                          > Perhaps it's I who need to be enlightened. You said "certainly not the
                          > first". I suppose this means you know of reliable, well documented
                          > evidence of such a path being covered before. I am ignorant of this
                          > piece of propagation history. Can you elaborate ?
                          >
                          > -- Joe, K1JT
                          >
                          > On 7/7/2014 7:42 PM, Jim Forsyth jim@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                          >> I do know of the G - VO1 tests in 1979 that were conducted from the
                          >> Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall England, did result in some receive success
                          >> and were documented in the RSGB Bulletin. I'm not sure that there would
                          >> have been any reason to report it to the IRTS, please enlighten me.
                          >>
                          >> Jim, AF6O

                          >>> occurred.

                          >>> Certainly not the first ???
                          >>>
                          >>> Hmmm... Exactly what precedent do you know of, that should have been
                          >>> documented and reported to the Irish radio Transmitters Society?
                          >>>
                          >>> For details about the Brendan Awards for "two-way trans Atlantic
                          >>> communications by radio amateurs using the Two Metre Band", see
                          >>> http://www.irts.ie/cgi/brendan.cgi
                          >>>
                          >>> -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                        • Jack/W6NF
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 8 5:18 AM
                            I looked at the RSGB web site and cannot see any way for a non-member to access Bulletin (now titled "RadCom") archives , if they exist. Does anyone know if the archives are, indeed, restricted?

                            Jack, VE4SNA/W6NF

                            --
                            Jack, W6NF/HC2UA
                            Shelley, K7MKL/HC2UB
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 8 6:52 AM
                              What seems a pretty good summary of reports of trans-Atlantic 144 MHz
                              signals via terrestrial propagation (as of September 2003) is available at:

                              http://www.df5ai.net/ArticlesDL/DH3YAVObs/dh3yavve1smu.html

                              Be sure to read the whole page.

                              Alas, there is no mention of 1979, Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall, or
                              recordings of signals.

                              -- Joe, K1JT
                            • Jim Forsyth
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 8 7:14 AM
                                Jeff, There have been a number of attempts at a 2m transatlantic QSO over the years and I read the reports at the time. A few snippets have been heard but as far as I recall nothing sufficiently solid as to rise to a high confidence level. I'm amazed that you guys don't know this. The particular instance that I previously wrote about happened some 35 years ago and I have already written everything I can remember about it including where it was published which IS enough information to research it further. If you want to consider it a figment of my imagination go right ahead, it doesn't matter to me. My life will be unaffected by you holding that opinion, I don't owe you anything.

                                Jim, AF6O

                              • Jeff Moore
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 8 9:09 AM
                                  Jim,

                                  Thanks for the information, I've emailed the RSGB to see if they can locate the article you referenced in their publication.  The information doesn't appear to be available online anywhere.  Do you know of any other 2m transatlantic signal receptions in the last 30 years?

                                  Jeff Moore  --  KE7ACY

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 8 12:22 PM
                                    Jeff, Joe, et al

                                    The article that Jim is referring to appeared in the October 1980
                                    Radcom, page 1043. It mentions that the tests were made during the
                                    Perseids using high speed CW MS and that " three short and weak bursts
                                    were received in Devon, but none was strong enough for complete
                                    identification to be made from the slowed down tape recording."

                                    The antenna at the UK (G4DGU/p) end was a 400ft Rhombic and at the
                                    Canadian end (VE1ASJ)was 4 x 19el yagis. Both used 6N2 Amplifiers.

                                    If I get a chance I will scan it and post it somewhere.

                                    73 Dave G4RGK

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 8 12:36 PM
                                      Hi Dave,

                                      Thanks for this information. Very interesting!

                                      There can be no question that clear reception of a full message like

                                      "C1T CQ VC T CQ VC1T CQ",

                                      as shown in the FSK441 screen shot from G4SWX, is a big step forward.
                                      The equivalent has certainly not been done before.

                                      Let's hope that a full two-way QSO is not too far off!

                                      -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                                      On 7/8/2014 3:22 PM, Dave zen70432@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                                      > Jeff, Joe, et al
                                      >
                                      > The article that Jim is referring to appeared in the October 1980
                                      > Radcom, page 1043. It mentions that the tests were made during the
                                      > Perseids using high speed CW MS and that " three short and weak bursts
                                      > were received in Devon, but none was strong enough for complete
                                      > identification to be made from the slowed down tape recording."
                                      >
                                      > The antenna at the UK (G4DGU/p) end was a 400ft Rhombic and at the
                                      > Canadian end (VE1ASJ)was 4 x 19el yagis. Both used 6N2 Amplifiers.
                                      >
                                      > If I get a chance I will scan it and post it somewhere.
                                      >
                                      > 73 Dave G4RGK
                                      >

                                      > On 08/07/2014 16:09, Jeff Moore tnetcenter@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                                      >>

                                      >> Jim,
                                      >>
                                      >> Thanks for the information, I've emailed the RSGB to see if they can
                                      >> locate the article you referenced in their publication. The information
                                      >> doesn't appear to be available online anywhere. Do you know of any
                                      >> other 2m transatlantic signal receptions in the last 30 years?
                                      >>
                                      >> Jeff Moore -- KE7ACY
                                      >>
                                      >> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Jim Forsyth jim@...
                                      >> <mailto:jim@...> [wsjtgroup]<wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com
                                      >> <mailto:wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> __
                                      >>
                                      >> Jeff, There have been a number of attempts at a 2m transatlantic QSO
                                      >> over the years and I read the reports at the time. A few snippets
                                      >> have been heard but as far as I recall nothing sufficiently solid as
                                      >> to rise to a high confidence level. I'm amazed that you guys don't
                                      >> know this. The particular instance that I previously wrote about
                                      >> happened some 35 years ago and I have already written everything I
                                      >> can remember about it including where it was published which IS
                                      >> enough information to research it further. If you want to consider
                                      >> it a figment of my imagination go right ahead, it doesn't matter to
                                      >> me. My life will be unaffected by you holding that opinion, I don't
                                      >> owe you anything.
                                      >>
                                      >> Jim, AF6O

                                      > ------------------------------------
                                      >
                                      > Yahoo Groups Links

                                    • Jeff Moore
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 9 6:06 PM
                                      Thanks to Elaine G4LFM at the RSGB, here's a jpeg of the page from 1979 that discusses the "Tests with VE on 144MHz"

                                      Inline image 1

                                      7 3
                                      Jeff Moore  --  KE7ACY

                                      On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Jeff Moore <tnetcenter@...> wrote:
[...]

                                    • Lance Collister, W7GJ
                                      Message 19 of 19 , Jul 9 6:16 PM
                                        Well, with the new technology, they certainly have come a long way from just
                                        detecting signals - they actually decoded callsigns now. If only they could be QRV
                                        during the Perseids in August, their big station running FSK441 just might be able to
                                        complete a two-way! GL to the team! VY 73, Lance

                                        --
                                        Lance Collister, W7GJ
                                        (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ)

                                        page (above)!