Another Strange Occurrence

  • Jim Bennett
    Message 1 of 8 , May 27, 2014
      I seem to be getting all the weird stuff this month. Got a good explanation on the bogus calls and grid squares I saw - the other guy with a screwed up time setting. But this morning I saw a real head-scratcher.

      I was trying to work a station in Missouri on 17 meter JT65. I called him and saw his reply coming back on the waterfall - nice strong signal. But it did not decode. He re-sent and still didn't decode. I was seeing other stations decoding all over the band with no issues. Thought maybe someone else was on the same frequency clobbering him, so we moved to a clear spot. No luck - still no decode, although he told me (on the K3UK sked page) that he was decoding me. I quit my WSJT-X and re-started it. Same thing happened when he transmitted to me next go-round. So then we tried JT9....

      Yikes - he came through on THREE frequencies: 2544 (-21), 2546 (-8), and 2548 (-22) but it did decode. He said that my JT9 transmission came through on three frequencies on his end. I have since had both JT65 and JT9 QSO's with other folks and have not had this happen, so I'm leaning towards it being something screwy on his end. But..... what would cause something so strange?

      Jim / W6JHB
    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 8 , May 27, 2014
        Jim,

        > Yikes - he came through on THREE frequencies: 2544 (-21), 2546
        > (-8), and 2548 (-22) but it did decode. He said that my JT9
        > transmission came through on three frequencies on his end. I have
        > since had both JT65 and JT9 QSO's with other folks and have not had
        > this happen, so I'm leaning towards it being something screwy on
        > his end. But..... what would cause something so strange?

        What sound device are you using?

        The JT9 results say you have a 2 Hz instability in your sound card that
        is mixing with strong receive signals and is also mixing with your
        outgoing signal resulting in secondary signals that are about 13 dB
        below the primary (normal) signal.

        It is likely that you could not copy the JT65 signal because the
        spurious signals were interfering with the normal signal just enough
        to make it unreadable (your thought about QRM was correct but it was
        self-QRM).

        It is abnormal to see the spurious signals only 2 Hz apart but it is
        quite common to see spurs offset by multiples of 50 or 60 Hz depending
        on the power supply frequency. I suppose 2 Hz is possible if you have
        a switching supply that is unstable.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

        On 2014-05-27 3:20 PM, Jim Bennett w6jhb@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
        > I seem to be getting all the weird stuff this month. Got a good explanation on the bogus calls and grid squares I saw - the other guy with a screwed up time setting. But this morning I saw a real head-scratcher.
        >
        > I was trying to work a station in Missouri on 17 meter JT65. I called him and saw his reply coming back on the waterfall - nice strong signal. But it did not decode. He re-sent and still didn't decode. I was seeing other stations decoding all over the band with no issues. Thought maybe someone else was on the same frequency clobbering him, so we moved to a clear spot. No luck - still no decode, although he told me (on the K3UK sked page) that he was decoding me. I quit my WSJT-X and re-started it. Same thing happened when he transmitted to me next go-round. So then we tried JT9....
        >
        > Yikes - he came through on THREE frequencies: 2544 (-21), 2546 (-8), and 2548 (-22) but it did decode. He said that my JT9 transmission came through on three frequencies on his end. I have since had both JT65 and JT9 QSO's with other folks and have not had this happen, so I'm leaning towards it being something screwy on his end. But..... what would cause something so strange?
        >
        > Jim / W6JHB

        > Yahoo Groups Links

      • Jim Bennett
        Message 3 of 8 , May 27, 2014
          Well, I'm using a SLUSB connected to my K3. Interestingly, this was the ONLY station that was doing this with me. As I noted, I've had many other QSO's before and after, JT65 and JT9, and never this issue. In addition, there were no abnormally strong signals anywhere to be seen / heard at the time. Also, no switching supply here - I'm solar/battery power and using a boost regulator for steady 13.8 V power to the radio. Could one of those issues you mention be happening on HIS end and not mine?

          Jim,

          On 2014-05-27 3:20 PM, Jim Bennett w6jhb@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
          > I seem to be getting all the weird stuff this month. Got a good explanation on the bogus calls and grid squares I saw - the other guy with a screwed up time setting. But this morning I saw a real head-scratcher.
          >
          > I was trying to work a station in Missouri on 17 meter JT65. I called him and saw his reply coming back on the waterfall - nice strong signal. But it did not decode. He re-sent and still didn't decode. I was seeing other stations decoding all over the band with no issues. Thought maybe someone else was on the same frequency clobbering him, so we moved to a clear spot. No luck - still no decode, although he told me (on the K3UK sked page) that he was decoding me. I quit my WSJT-X and re-started it. Same thing happened when he transmitted to me next go-round. So then we tried JT9....
          >
          > Yikes - he came through on THREE frequencies: 2544 (-21), 2546 (-8), and 2548 (-22) but it did decode. He said that my JT9 transmission came through on three frequencies on his end. I have since had both JT65 and JT9 QSO's with other folks and have not had this happen, so I'm leaning towards it being something screwy on his end. But..... what would cause something so strange?
          >
          > Jim / W6JHB

          > Yahoo Groups Links

        • Rudy Benner
          Message 4 of 8 , May 27, 2014
            A boost regulator is a switching power supply.

            ve3bdr

            Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:29 PM
            Subject: Re: [wsjtgroup] Another Strange Occurrence

            Well, I'm using a SLUSB connected to my K3. Interestingly, this was the ONLY station that was doing this with me. As I noted, I've had many other QSO's before and after, JT65 and JT9, and never this issue. In addition, there were no abnormally strong signals anywhere to be seen / heard at the time. Also, no switching supply here - I'm solar/battery power and using a boost regulator for steady 13.8 V power to the radio. Could one of those issues you mention be happening on HIS end and not mine?

            On   Tuesday, May 27, 2014, at  Tuesday, 1:17 PM, 'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:

            SNIP

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 8 , May 27, 2014
              > Interestingly, this was the ONLY station that was doing this with me.

              Those issues are very sensitive to signal level. The signal needs to
              be strong enough for the spurious products to be well above the noise.

              > Also, no switching supply here - I'm solar/battery power and using a
              > boost regulator for steady 13.8 V power to the radio.

              A boost regulator is a switching DC-DC supply. I"d take a look at it
              with a scope and see if there is a significant 2 cps component.

              > Well, I'm using a SLUSB connected to my K3.

              SLUSB is notorious for instability; it lacks sufficient bypassing on
              the power distribution, has no regulator for the V/2 reference going
              to the CODEC and the op-amps (a simple resistive divider is used) and
              it has insufficient bypassing/regulation on the USB power supply.
              There are plenty of references to problems with SLUSB on-line.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 2014-05-27 4:29 PM, Jim Bennett w6jhb@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
> [...]
              >>>
              >>> Yikes - he came through on THREE frequencies: 2544 (-21), 2546 (-8), and 2548 (-22) but it did decode. He said that my JT9 transmission came through on three frequencies on his end. I have since had both JT65 and JT9 QSO's with other folks and have not had this happen, so I'm leaning towards it being something screwy on his end. But..... what would cause something so strange?

            • N7RJN
              Message 6 of 8 , May 27, 2014
                Hi Joe,

                Your comment that “SLUSB is notorious for instability” is interesting.   I am wondering, is there a sound card that does not have these design issues that you indicated: "sufficient bypassing on
                the power distribution, has no regulator for the V/2 reference going to the CODEC and the op-amps (a simple resistive divider is used) and it has insufficient bypassing/regulation on the USB power supply”?

                73,

                Bob – N7RJN

                From: "'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@... [wsjtgroup]" <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 14:35
                To: Jim Bennett <w6jhb@...>, WSJT Group <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>

                > Interestingly, this was the ONLY station that was doing this with me.

                Those issues are very sensitive to signal level. The signal needs to
                be strong enough for the spurious products to be well above the noise.

                > Also, no switching supply here - I'm solar/battery power and using a
                > boost regulator for steady 13.8 V power to the radio.

                A boost regulator is a switching DC-DC supply. I"d take a look at it
                with a scope and see if there is a significant 2 cps component.

                > Well, I'm using a SLUSB connected to my K3.

                SLUSB is notorious for instability; it lacks sufficient bypassing on
                the power distribution, has no regulator for the V/2 reference going
                to the CODEC and the op-amps (a simple resistive divider is used) and
                it has insufficient bypassing/regulation on the USB power supply.
                There are plenty of references to problems with SLUSB on-line.

                73,

                ... Joe, W4TV

              • chas cartmel
                Message 7 of 8 , May 28, 2014

                  Jim

                  To back up Joe’s comments on the SLUSB sound device. I had a different model but suffered the same symptoms at times. I bought an internal soundblaster card, a basic one not top end around 25USD I think and 2 things happened. (1) audio processing seemed much better and (2) ghost signals virtually disappeared. Noise generated by the new card seemed 10db or so down on the old USB device.

                  73

                  Charlie

                  www.G4EST.me.uk

                  On 2014-05-27 4:29 PM, Jim Bennett w6jhb@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
> [...]
                  >>>
                  >>> Yikes - he came through on THREE frequencies: 2544 (-21), 2546 (-8), and 2548 (-22) but it did decode. He said that my JT9 transmission came through on three frequencies on his end. I have since had both JT65 and JT9 QSO's with other folks and have not had this happen, so I'm leaning towards it being something screwy on his end. But..... what would cause something so strange?

                • Jim Bennett
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 28, 2014
                    Guys,

                    All of the input I received may be true, but the fact is that I've been using this SLUSB for a long time and other than this one single occurrence I have never had a problem with it. I use it on JT9, JT65, and PSK31 - never an issue. That thing that happened the other day was a one-off on my end. While the other station was not decoding on JT65, all the other signals on the band were decoding just fine - and there were a lot of 'em. When that same station moved to JT9, no other JT9 signals were messed up. While the SLUSB may be causing issues for some owners, I am pretty confident that mine is not causing a problem here. I am using an iMac for my computer and that precludes me from going with any sort of internal sound card - it has to be external. I had borrowed an EMU0202 to try out NaP3, but since that software runs on Windows, the EMU software was completely hosed on the iMac running VMWARE Fusion. As a side note - I have all the cables in and out of the SLUSB and my boost regulator passing several times through large ferrite donuts - no RFI hash on any of the bands. That is until my father in law turns on our piece of %^$##* Samsung plasma TV and wipes out 160 and 80 meters.

                    Anyway, let's close this thread - no other problems here - I just was curious what may have caused that weird situation.

                    JIm / W6JHB