Strange Decoded Data

  • w6jhb01
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24, 2014

      Hi All - I'm a relative newbie to WSJT-X and the JT modes (about five months now) and have two questions. And the second one might be related to the first.

      OK - first: The decoded line contains a column titled "DT". Maybe I missed it, but I can't find it defined in the manual I have. I'm guessing that maybe this is some sort of "time deviation" on the sender's end? Most stations' decoded data is showing figures in the range of -.1 to -.4 or so. Am I correct in thinking it has something to do with the time sync of the sender?

      Second question: last night and on at least one other occasion, I have seen some strange stuff being decoded for a station. Nothing made any sense. The two station's call letters didn't match anything on QRZ in either occurrence. Here is what I saw last night:

      0306 -10 -1.3 1755 GR7GOZ K13YRJ JA56

      Huh? What the heck is that? neither is a valid call, and check out that -1.3 in the DT column. Is this a screwed up decode because the sender's time is really out of whack? The other instance I saw similar decodes also showed invalid call letters.

      Any info would be appreciated!

      Thanks, Jim / W6JHB

    • Jim Bennett
      Message 2 of 4 , May 24, 2014
        Well, since nearly everyone I see is in that -0.1 to -0.4 then I guess I'm pretty close. So, it must be that the strange decode signal is really out of whack. Would being out of time sync cause screwy decode results?

        On Saturday, May 24, 2014, at Saturday, 12:19 PM, Jim - N4ST wrote:

        > Jim,
        >
        > The DT column is Delta Time. The difference between your time sync and the other stations time sync. If most stations are showing |DT| greater than 1, you are probably the one that is out of sync.
        >
        > Don't know about the garbage callsigns. I hear others report this from time to time, but I don't think I have ever observed it.
        >
        > 73,
        > Jim - N4ST

      • chas cartmel
        Message 3 of 4 , May 25, 2014

          Jim

          The garbage decode you saw id due to the DT (time difference). A figure greater than - 1.2 (or is it less than being negative?) can cause this, while greater than 1.4 almost always does in my set-up here.

          I experimented some time back comparing JT65HF with WSJT-X and found the former more tolerant of the time synch errors and on occasion have switched to this to identify a station persistently TXing with a high DT to advise then to synch their system clock.

          I use WSJT-X 99% of the time though.

          73

          Charlie

          www.G4EST.me.uk