finding North

  • Jim and Hannelore Fisher
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10 8:20 AM
      Some years ago, I used Polaris as an approximation. Then, I went through a period of using a yachting compass (hand-held) and figuring in variation (magnetic vs. true North), I have now gone to using GPS. If I stand under the tower and take a reading, I can march either North or South along the same reading and put in a stake as far as I can see the tower. I then jiggle the antenna to point toward me if I am North of the tower, or away from me if I am South (I have the South stake set here a few hundred feet from the tower so it’s quite easy to tell). I also put in a marker for 270o  by marching straight West from the tower and putting in a stake.

      From time to time (but not for the most recent two days), I do get some feedback about deploying markers in our garden.

      Jim, VE1JF
    • Ton PA0TBR
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10 10:18 AM
        I use Google Earth and find my home and a nearby reference point, like a building or powermast.
        With the Ruler tool I draw a line between the two points and read the angle in degrees.
        Next I turn the rotator to the obtained angle. Next I make the necessary adjustment so that my beam is pointing towards the reference point.

        Powerlines are a nuisance most of the time, but occasionally they can be useful.

        73,
        Ton PA0TBR

      • KI7MT
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10 5:36 PM
          I use this site;

          http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

          Use a tree, pole, tower or anything that casts a descent shadow. From
          the Sun time table, when the sun is at 180 deg, the cast shadow points
          to North 000 deg.

          If you want E/W, run a string out along the shadow, put a tee-square
          down, wala, E/W :-)

          73's
          Greg, KI7MT

          --
          73's
          Greg, KI7MT
          Message 4 of 5 , May 11 12:24 AM
            On 5/10/2014 5:36 PM, KI7MT ki7mt@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
            > Use a tree, pole, tower or anything that casts a descent shadow.

            Yes, this works VERY well.

            73, Jim K9YC
          • Lance Collister, W7GJ
            Message 5 of 5 , May 11 6:43 AM
              When I set up portable operation on EME DXpeditions, I just take along a printout of
              the sun position from my GJTRACKER program for the day I am going to be setting up.

              http://bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/GJTRACKER.zip

              Usually, there is some time during that day when I can see the sun and verify the
              azimuth calibration of my paper clip indicator:

              http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/AimingCircle.htm

              GL and VY 73, Lance

              --
              Lance Collister, W7GJ
              (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)

              page (above)!