160M

  • Jim Brown
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28 2:03 PM
      I've been using various WSJT modes for a while, both on HF and VHF, but
      was busy with other things for a while and just got around to installing
      WSJT-X. I've been listening and sometimes transmitting on 160M over the
      last few nights using both JT65A and JT9. So far, I've seen only one JT9
      signal, and only one transmission. He was in EN34, calling CQ, and I
      wasn't quite ready to TX. So I waited a cycle, and stared calling CQ,
      beginning with 20W, and gradually increasing power in 3dB steps to 400W.
      At the end of an hour, not a single response.

      JT9 is a great mode for 160M, and 160M is a challenging band. The last
      time I was active on 160 JT65A, a year or two ago, I was seeing W1 and
      other east coast stations working VK I could usually print both sides,
      so I left my RX on overnight posting the the JT65HF bulletin board so
      that the guys could at least know that the others were there.

      I also have a couple of 160M antennas for which I need to do serious
      relative comparative performance measurements, and it seems like WSPR
      ought to be a good tool, but when I fired up WSPR last week with 20W
      into a 125 ft vertical, no one heard me, and 40W got me a report from
      Los Angeles. I know these antennas work -- I've worked 45 states and 14
      countries on 160M CW with 5W.

      How about it, guys? Is anyone using JT65A, JT9, or WSPR on 160M with
      real antennas, or is it 5W into a wet noodle?

      73, Jim K9YC
      Santa Cruz, CA CM87
    • tony everhardt
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28 2:36 PM
        My opinion is this time of year is no good for 160 meter dx. The bands have also been terrible for any real long distance dx. I've been on 160 meters for only a few years and each year seems to be worst than the year before. For what I've read about 160 meter dx is that the peak of the sun spot cycle creates the worst conditions for 160 meters. So If this is true 160 meters will only get better from here on out. I know just last year I was able to work some EU stations...even back in the fall. But haven't heard hardly anything since. My opinion is don't give up. It'll only get better from here on out. I bought a K9AY antenna for dx'ing and haven't been able to really use it.....bummer. So I know what you're going through. Next year can only be better.

        N8WAC,Tony
        On Monday, April 28, 2014 5:03 PM, Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:

[...]

      • David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 28 3:01 PM

          tis the season not !

          i got into the jt65/jt9 gig just 2 years ago on 160m. EU is usually
          there almost every eve during the winter with lots of USA . over this
          time have done WAS(48) down here in North Carolina. and 12 dx including
          a miracle qso with VK one morning out of the blue. Neither bragging nor
          complaining, i do use the amp when i feel it is necessary. antenna is
          hygain 18ht base loaded over the purest silica in the state with random
          length radials (approx 35).

          have also done WAS via jt65/jt9 for 80/40/30/20/15/10

          truly the best dx mode in the ham world 1

          cu down there come next frost.

          david/wd4kpd

          --
          When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

          A revolution is good for the soul of a nation.
        • Jim Bennett
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 28 3:33 PM
            I'm equipped to do JT9/JT65 on 160 with an Inverted L. It isn't very high and I've got but two elevated (18") radials, thans to CC&R / HOA crud. But it does work and I've nearly completed WAS on 160 with it, running no more than 500 watts and doing very, very casual operating. So far, all QSO's have been CW, but I'm up for doing some JT QSO's on the band. The $64m question I have is: WHERE? I've seen several different web pages indicating different frequencies. Add to that the "danger" of (God forbid) infringing on some universally agreed upon band segments. I've seen the posts on the Yahoo Top Band reflector denouncing the poor souls who accidentally "trespass" into one of those areas. So, what's the consensus in this group as to the proper JT-mode frequency on 160 meters?

            Jim / W6JHB
            Folsom, CA

            On Monday, Apr 28, 2014, at Monday, 3:01 PM, David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD wrote:

            > tis the season not !
            >
            > i got into the jt65/jt9 gig just 2 years ago on 160m. EU is usually
            > there almost every eve during the winter with lots of USA . over this
            > time have done WAS(48) down here in North Carolina. and 12 dx including
            > a miracle qso with VK one morning out of the blue. Neither bragging nor
            > complaining, i do use the amp when i feel it is necessary. antenna is
            > hygain 18ht base loaded over the purest silica in the state with random
            > length radials (approx 35).
            >
            > have also done WAS via jt65/jt9 for 80/40/30/20/15/10
            >
            > truly the best dx mode in the ham world 1
            >
            > cu down there come next frost.
            >
            > david/wd4kpd
            >

            > On 4/28/2014 9:03 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
            >> I've been using various WSJT modes for a while, both on HF and VHF, but
            >> was busy with other things for a while and just got around to installing
            >> WSJT-X. I've been listening and sometimes transmitting on 160M over the
            >> last few nights using both JT65A and JT9. So far, I've seen only one JT9
            >> signal, and only one transmission. He was in EN34, calling CQ, and I
            >> wasn't quite ready to TX. So I waited a cycle, and stared calling CQ,
            >> beginning with 20W, and gradually increasing power in 3dB steps to 400W.
            >> At the end of an hour, not a single response.
            >>
            >> JT9 is a great mode for 160M, and 160M is a challenging band. The last
            >> time I was active on 160 JT65A, a year or two ago, I was seeing W1 and
            >> other east coast stations working VK I could usually print both sides,
            >> so I left my RX on overnight posting the the JT65HF bulletin board so
            >> that the guys could at least know that the others were there.
            >>
            >> I also have a couple of 160M antennas for which I need to do serious
            >> relative comparative performance measurements, and it seems like WSPR
            >> ought to be a good tool, but when I fired up WSPR last week with 20W
            >> into a 125 ft vertical, no one heard me, and 40W got me a report from
            >> Los Angeles. I know these antennas work -- I've worked 45 states and 14
            >> countries on 160M CW with 5W.
            >>
            >> How about it, guys? Is anyone using JT65A, JT9, or WSPR on 160M with
            >> real antennas, or is it 5W into a wet noodle?
            >>
            >> 73, Jim K9YC
            >> Santa Cruz, CA CM87
            >>

            >> ------------------------------------

          • tony everhardt
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 28 3:39 PM
              Here is the bible to JT65 http://hflink.com/jt65/   It's a great mode.

              N8WAC
              On Monday, April 28, 2014 6:34 PM, Jim Bennett <w6jhb@...> wrote:

> [...]

              >> JT9 is a great mode for 160M, and 160M is a challenging band. The last
              >> time I was active on 160 JT65A, a year or two ago, I was seeing W1 and
              >> other east coast stations working VK I could usually print both sides,
              >> so I left my RX on overnight posting the the JT65HF bulletin board so
              >> that the guys could at least know that the others were there.
              >>
              >> I also have a couple of 160M antennas for which I need to do serious
              >> relative comparative performance measurements, and it seems like WSPR
              >> ought to be a good tool, but when I fired up WSPR last week with 20W
              >> into a 125 ft vertical, no one heard me, and 40W got me a report from
              >> Los Angeles. I know these antennas work -- I've worked 45 states and 14
              >> countries on 160M CW with 5W.
              >>
              >> How about it, guys? Is anyone using JT65A, JT9, or WSPR on 160M with
              >> real antennas, or is it 5W into a wet noodle?

            • Jim Brown
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 28 3:55 PM
                On 4/28/2014 3:33 PM, Jim Bennett wrote:
                > I've seen the posts on the Yahoo Top Band reflector denouncing the poor souls who accidentally "trespass" into one of those areas.

                I've been reading the Topband reflector for nearly 10 years, and have
                learned to ignore the Luddites who would choose to banish WSJT modes to
                the bottom 10 kHz, where there is no allocation in Region One (EU, AF).
                > So, what's the consensus in this group as to the proper JT-mode frequency on 160 meters?

                Activity is exactly where the WSJT and JT65-HF put it -- USB, 1838 kHz
                dial frequency for JT65A, with an audio frequency of 2.4 kHz being the
                top of the JT65A sub-band, and JT9 the next 1.5kHz up. On most rigs,
                that means either moving the VFO up 2 kHz or using WSJT-X in split mode.

                When I was active on 160 WSJT a couple of years ago, I worked something
                like 35 states in a few months, but I didn't do it QRP -- most guys
                using JT65A on 160 can't hear very well. I had a sked with a guy in ND
                who I copied with at least 10 dB to spare with his 20W, but I had to
                crank up to 200W to get him to hear me. And yes, I tried to avoid QRMing
                other guys running the same cycle.

                73, Jim K9YC
              • Jim Bennett
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 28 3:55 PM
                  Good info - thanks Tony.

                  No mention on JT9 in the bible, but can I assume it's 2KHz higher on 160, just as it is on the other HF bands?

                  W6JHB

                • Brian Duffell
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 28 3:58 PM
                    Jim Bennett <w6jhb@...> wrote:

                    > I'm equipped to do JT9/JT65 on 160 with an Inverted L. It isn't very high
                    > and I've got but two elevated (18") radials, thans to CC&R / HOA crud. But
                    > it does work and I've nearly completed WAS on 160 with it, running no more
                    > than 500 watts and doing very, very casual operating. So far, all QSO's
                    > have been CW, but I'm up for doing some JT QSO's on the band. The $64m
                    > question I have is: WHERE? I've seen several different web pages
                    > indicating different frequencies. Add to that the "danger" of (God forbid)
                    > infringing on some universally agreed upon band segments. I've seen the
                    > posts on the Yahoo Top Band reflector denouncing the poor souls who
                    > accidentally "trespass" into one of those areas. So, what's the consensus
                    > in this group as to the proper JT-mode frequency on 160 meters?

                    I regularly use JT65 and occasionally JT9 on 160, just above 1838KHz. I
                    normally use 30w but occasionally up to 100w to a low inverted L.

                    In recent winter months I have worked down into most (16)eastern states as
                    far as LA with my low power and bit of wet string, usually between 0200 and
                    0300z

                    Band's a bit quiet now that summer is aproaching. Haven't heard anything
                    much since February.

                    --
                    Brian Duffell
                    G3VGZ
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 28 3:59 PM
                      On 4/28/2014 2:36 PM, tony everhardt wrote:
                      > My opinion is this time of year is no good for 160 meter dx.

                      Remember that when it is summer here it is winter in the southern
                      hemisphere. So spring and fall are not the worst times to work those paths.

                      73, Jim K9YC
                    • Sam Morgan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 28 4:49 PM
                        You might check to see if there is some activity on the 1st or 2nd of
                        the month. that is when 'the band of the day' suggests 160m activity.
                        I haven't tried it recently, but I use to have good luck on those days.

                        http://www.powerlinenoise.com/n0rq/JT65-HF/ <- scroll down)

                        GB & 73
                        K5OAI
                        Sam Morgan

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 28 4:55 PM
                          Jim Bennett <w6jhb@...> wrote:

                          > No mention on JT9 in the bible, but can I assume it's 2KHz higher on 160,
                          > just as it is on the other HF bands?

                          I tend to use the same (1838 base)as JT65 on 160 to avoid the phone stations
                          above 1840, but sometimes I'm up there but the QRM is often dire.

                          --
                          Brian Duffell
                          G3VGZ
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 28 5:18 PM
                            I've been operating JT65A and JT9 between 1838-1840 kHz for quite a number
                            of years. That is where 100% of the activity is.

                            The activity has trailed off as we have moved into the summer lightning
                            static season, even though JT65A and JT9 does get through stateside
                            lightning static with no problem. I've had QSO's in every month of the year
                            from here in central Florida.

                            I have a full sized inverted L on the band with lot's of ground radials. I
                            normally use only 5-20 watts on the band stateside but have had to use
                            50-100 watts on some DX contacts.

                            73 & God Bless,
                            Thomas F. Giella W4HM
                            Lakeland, FL, USA
                            thomasfgiella@...

                            W4HM's Amateur & SWL Autobiography: http://www.w4hm.org
                            W4HM's Medium Frequency Radio Wave Propagation Theory Notes:
                            http://www.solarcycle24.org

                            ---