Meinberg NTP not synchronising clock

  • chas cartmel
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2014

      Not sure why but on a few occasions now over the last few weeks I have had to stop and restart the Meinberg NTP service as the system clock was not adjusted after system boot.

      I am on Windows 8.1 64 bit OS. CPU Intel i7-2600, the M$ Windows NTP is disabled.

      Has anybody else noticed this?

      Is there a recommended alternative? I used Dimension 4 some time ago but changed to meinberg for better reliability.

      73

      Charlie

      www.G4EST.me.uk

    • chas cartmel
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2014

        Thanks Bill

        My machine is only off overnight and the discrepancy this morning was around 2 seconds when compared to my time synchronised wall clock. Why this started happening beats me as it has been working for over 12 months, then just starts failing.

        Windoze update maybe, but system clock should be independent of this I would have thought.

        Thanks for the advice – seems to be the issue.

        73

        Charlie

        www.G4EST.me.uk

        On 24/04/2014 09:02, chas cartmel wrote:
        Hi Charlie,

        Not sure why but on a few occasions now over the last few weeks I have had to stop and restart the Meinberg NTP service as the system clock was not adjusted after system boot.

        I am on Windows 8.1 64 bit OS. CPU Intel i7-2600, the M$ Windows NTP is disabled.

        Has anybody else noticed this?

        The NTP protocol will not let the clock adjustment suddenly make large changes (more than a second or so), I believe it will eventually synchronize but it takes quite a long time to do so. The startup procedure will do a one off date and time setting from the NTP server, this allows for large steps at startup. So if there is a reason why your clock might get badly out of sync, then NTP may not be able to correct it. Some machines don't keep accurate time when suspended and that can be a cause of large discrepancies.

        Is there a recommended alternative? I used Dimension 4 some time ago but changed to meinberg for better reliability.

        Meinburg NTP is by far the best free time sync program for WIndows short of using a GPS receiver as a clock source.

        73

        Charlie

        www.G4EST.me.uk

        73
        Bill
        G4WJS.

      • chas cartmel
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2014

          Thanks Peter.

          I will give it a go.

          73

          Charlie

          www.G4EST.me.uk

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2014
            On 4/24/2014 4:02 AM, chas cartmel wrote:
            > Not sure why but on a few occasions now over the last few weeks I
            > have had to stop and restart the Meinberg NTP service as the system
            > clock was not adjusted after system boot.

            I run the Meinberg monitor periodically and when the failure to sync
            occurs all of my sources are showing offset and jitter of greater than
            2 ms. Stopping and restarting the NTP service will fix the problem
            but I have not attempted to figure out the reason for the large
            offset/jitter.

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

            On 4/24/2014 4:02 AM, chas cartmel wrote:
            > Not sure why but on a few occasions now over the last few weeks I have had
            > to stop and restart the Meinberg NTP service as the system clock was not
            > adjusted after system boot.
            >
            > I am on Windows 8.1 64 bit OS. CPU Intel i7-2600, the M$ Windows NTP is
            > disabled.
            >

            > Has anybody else noticed this?
            >
            > Is there a recommended alternative? I used Dimension 4 some time ago but
            > changed to meinberg for better reliability.
            >

            > 73
            >
            > Charlie
            >
            > www.G4EST.me.uk

          • chas cartmel
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 24, 2014

              Thanks Joe,

              Just have to live with it I suppose – no big deal really as long as I keep an eye on it.

              73

              Charlie

              www.G4EST.me.uk