WSJT-X V1.3, r3673

  • rodger_g8hlh
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2014
      I updated the previous version of WSJT-X to WSJT-X v1.3, r3673 and everthing seems to be working OK. in conjuction to JTAlert-X  2.415 & JTMacros-X. However after some hours running WSJT-X shuts down leaving JTAlert & JTMacros still running. Reloading WSJT-X the system runs again for several hours. but still shuts down WSJT-X unexpectedly.  I am running Windows 7 with a 2.5Ghz processor. I have no error messages to indicate the cause of the WSJT-X shutting down.

      Any Ideas anyone?

      Kind regards RODGER (G8HLH)

    • Bob McCormick
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22, 2014
        Rodger G8HLH wrote:

        > However after some hours running WSJT-X shuts down
        > leaving JTAlert & JTMacros still running. Reloading WSJT-X
        > the system runs again for several hours. but still shuts down
        > WSJT-X unexpectedly.

        Yes - a number of us have reported that behaviour. In my case 64-bit Windows 7 on dual processor Xeon based system.

        For me it happens rarely when actually using WSJT-X (meaning clicking on things, making QSO's) - maybe once or twice a week. But if I leave it running on a system unattended it will fail - sometimes as soon as 30 minutes and other times it may run as much as 24 hours.

        I don't think there's any clear indication what's causing this; hopefully the work on the next version of WSJT-X may remedy it based on some of the code changes being reported on the developer's list.

        Bob W1QA
      • KI7MT
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 22, 2014
          Hello All,

          I may have missed this somewhere along the line, but, do the shut downs only happen when the full combination is run, Alerts, Macros + WSJT-X, or with WSJT-X + Alerts and / or WSJT-X on it own?

          I don't run Macros often, but 99.9% of the time, when I have WSJT-X up, JT-Alerts is with it. I can't speak much to 3673 specifically, but I've not seen anything like this in the later development versions.

          I guess ring control could be thrown into the mix also, Commander, HRD or Hamlib  .. .. grasping at straws I know, but it could help eliminate what its not.

          My main rig is an older LGA QX9770 w/8GB ram with Vista 64.  As far as memory usage goes, at idle with nothing running it's right at 27%, then with WSJT-X, Alerts, Commander + DXkeeper, a web page or two, I may hit 29%-30%, but it's certainly not excessive. I've not seen any leaks to speak of either. Then again, this is on the later versions mostly.

          73's
          Greg, KI7MT

          On 04/22/2014 09:01 PM, Bob McCormick wrote:

          Rodger G8HLH wrote:

          > However after some hours running WSJT-X shuts down
          > leaving JTAlert & JTMacros still running. Reloading WSJT-X
          > the system runs again for several hours. but still shuts down
          > WSJT-X unexpectedly.

          Yes - a number of us have reported that behaviour. In my case 64-bit Windows 7 on dual processor Xeon based system.

          For me it happens rarely when actually using WSJT-X (meaning clicking on things, making QSO's) - maybe once or twice a week. But if I leave it running on a system unattended it will fail - sometimes as soon as 30 minutes and other times it may run as much as 24 hours.

          I don't think there's any clear indication what's causing this; hopefully the work on the next version of WSJT-X may remedy it based on some of the code changes being reported on the developer's list.

          Bob W1QA

        • Rudolf Schaffer
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 23, 2014
            Hello all,

            I get sometimes a WSJT-X v1.3 r3673 shut-down, without error message
            also when no JTAlert-X  nor JTMacros-X is running.
            I'm using Win7 ultimate i7 CPU @ 2.3GHz 16GB Ram.
            CPU use is under 10% during receive only and 20% max when decoding.
            In my configuration, 2 WSJT-X are running (Multiples instances selected)
            and 4 JT65-HV Version 1.09 are running simultaneously 24h/24h.
            I never get a JT65-HF "crash" and a WSJT-X "crashe" "only" one time each 3 or 4 days.

            I wrote this message only to say that in my case, the WSJT-X "crash" was not related to
            JTAlert-X /JTMacro-X use.

            My best 73,
            Rudi, HB9ARI

            Rodger G8HLH wrote:

            > However after some hours running WSJT-X shuts down
            > leaving JTAlert & JTMacros still running. Reloading WSJT-X
            > the system runs again for several hours. but still shuts down
            > WSJT-X unexpectedly.

            Yes - a number of us have reported that behaviour. In my case 64-bit Windows 7 on dual processor Xeon based system.

            For me it happens rarely when actually using WSJT-X (meaning clicking on things, making QSO's) - maybe once or twice a week. But if I leave it running on a system unattended it will fail - sometimes as soon as 30 minutes and other times it may run as much as 24 hours.

            I don't think there's any clear indication what's causing this; hopefully the work on the next version of WSJT-X may remedy it based on some of the code changes being reported on the developer's list.

            Bob W1QA

            Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel malveillant parce que la protection Antivirus avast! est active.

        • Bob McCormick
          Message 5 of 5 , Apr 23, 2014
            Greg KI7MT wrote:

            > I may have missed this somewhere along the line, but,
            > do the shut downs only happen when the full combination
            > is run, Alerts, Macros + WSJT-X, or with WSJT-X + Alerts
            > and / or WSJT-X on it own?

            In my case it is just WSJT-X on its own without any other programs. I've repro'ed this situation with two different stations and three different computers.

            Rig control (CAT) is enabled - I use the split functionality as well. Polling interval is set to nil. Rig interface is microHAM boxes (both MicroKeyer II and MK2R+). Rigs are FT-DX5000 (which have no problem with TX & RX of 4 kHz).

            > I guess ring control could be thrown into the mix also, Commander,
            > HRD or Hamlib .. .. grasping at straws I know, but it could help eliminate
            > what its not.

            It was mentioned back when I originally reported this that maybe it was the rig control stuff / hamlib.

            To be honest - while it has happened to me while I've been sitting in front of the computer I can't say exactly at what point it has crashed. I think that it either happens at the top of the minute ... or it happens at the start of decode.

            I actually setup some tools to watch the process to grab info when it crashes and I got nothing useful. I have not seen excessive CPU or runaway working set size like a memory leak.

            > My main rig is an older LGA QX9770 w/8GB ram with Vista 64.
            > As far as memory usage goes, at idle with nothing running it's
            > right at 27%, then with WSJT-X, Alerts, Commander + DXkeeper,
            > a web page or two, I may hit 29%-30%, but it's certainly not
            > excessive. I've not seen any leaks to speak of either.
            > Then again, this is on the later versions mostly.

            Main system is DELL Precision workstation with dual Xeon 5130's - 64-bit Windows 7 with 8 GB memory. Whilst running WSJT-X v1.3 CPU tends to stay under 20% until decode time when it will peak to 50-60 percent. Other systems exhibiting the problem are also 64-bit Windows 7 - one a dual or quad core AMD based DELL system and the other a high end DELL Latitude laptop with i7 CPU.

            At this point figured just wait for v1.4 and put that to the test.

            Bob W1QA