2 Meter YU1AW Design Amplifier

  • tony everhardt
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10 2:43 PM
      For a while now I've been watching a  2 Meter YU1AW Design Amplifier that's has been for sale. Can anyone give an opinion (pro's/con's) of this type of amp for eme via JT65? I only want to buy one amplifier in my eme lifetime.

      N8WAC
    • mack edmonson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10 5:15 PM
        I have operated EME for a number of years now using a homebrew 8877  tube amplifier with no regrets because at the time I started high power EME work when tubes were the only practical way to make high power, however if I were just now joining the high power EME ranks I would certainly make use of the newer FET devices that put out lots of power in a very small package, manageable size power supplies and are quiet and very efficient. I presently have in the shack the 8877 tube amplifier alongside a W6PQL design MRFE6VP61K125H FET amplifier and for most operating using high power I find that I prefer the FET amplifier,  not sure that I would ever build a tube amplifier  again given the simplicity of the beautiful solid state units out there.
        Mack
        W4ENN
        On Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:26 PM, tony everhardt <n8wac@...> wrote:

        For a while now I've been watching a  2 Meter YU1AW Design Amplifier that's has been for sale. Can anyone give an opinion (pro's/con's) of this type of amp for eme via JT65? I only want to buy one amplifier in my eme lifetime.

        N8WAC

      • Ken Arck
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10 9:20 PM

          Agreed. I built a pair of LDMOS amps (1 for 6 and one for 2) and have used the 2 meter one for JT65 EME for several months now and love it!

          http://www.ah6le.net/index.php/vhf-solid-state-kilowatts

          I don't think I'd ever go back to tubes

          Ken