How Do I set the WSjT9 audio devices

  • airbusvince
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2014
      I used to have this working when i used the internal sound cards,..moved to SignalLink USB, and I see that the Audio Device list

      Audio     Input    Output     Device Name
      Device  Channels  Channels
         0        2         0       Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input
         1        2         0       Mic in at rear panel (Pink) (2-
         2        2         0       Stereo Mix (2- Realtek High Def
         3        2         0       Digital-In (2- Creative SB X-Fi
         4        2         0       Microphone (USB Audio CODEC )
         5        2         0       "What U Hear" (2- Creative SB X
         6        0         2       Microsoft Sound Mapper - Output
         7        0         2       Speakers (2- Realtek High Defin
         8        0         2       Speakers (PlayOn Virtual Audio
         9        0         2       Speakers (2- Creative SB X-Fi)
        10        0         2       Realtek Digital Output (2- Real
        11        0         2       Realtek Digital Output(Optical)
        12        0         2       SPDIF Out (2- Creative SB X-Fi)
        13        0         2       Speakers (USB Audio CODEC )

      User requested devices:   Input =  0   Output =  0
      Default devices:          Input =  0   Output =  6
      Will open devices:        Input =  0   Output =  6
      Audio streams running normally.
       I would rather use the SignalLink USP in and out...how do i define this so that it becomes the default devices?

    • Lance Collister, W7GJ
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2014
        Hello!

        I am not familiar with the SignalLink USB unit, but my guess would suggest that you
        try specifying #4 for input and #13 for output. You do this under the SETUP/OPTIONS
        tab on your WSJT panel. Just put "4" in the "Audio In" box, and "13" in the "Audio
        Out" box. You also will have to make sure that your SignalLink sampling rate is a
        multiple of 11025 Hz, or enter the proper sound card correction factors into the
        "Rate In" and "Rate Out" boxes on the same screen.

        I know people have had lots of problems trying to run the SignalLink device with WSJT
        because it does not pass along the PTT command generated by the WSJT program to the
        radio before the tones start. Instead, it develops its own PTT signal from the AUDIO
        tones. This basically means that the radio is "HOT SWITCHED" the same as VOX mode.
        This may not be a problem if you just running a barefoot tranceiver, or even if you
        are running some modern QSK amplifier with vacuum relays. However, if you have a
        homebrew amplifier with external mechanical coaxial relay switching, it is a big
        problem because you will burn out the relays and destroy the amplifier.

        That is why I recommend something like the RIGBlaster products, which transfer the
        actual PTT signal from the serial port of the computer to the radio BEFORE the WSJT
        tones begin. This very convenient safety feature was built into the WSJT software,
        and it seems a shame not to throw it away by using an inferior interface device.

        GL and VY 73, Lance

        --
        Lance Collister, W7GJ
        (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)

        page (above)!
      • Ed G
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2014
          If you are using a SignaLinkUSB Interface device, In the Setup
          Configuration window you want to select " Microphone ( USB Audio CODEC)"
          for the Audio In, and you want "Speakers (USB Audio CODEC)" for the Audio
          Out.

          As far as clattering your relays to death, that will not happen if you set
          enough delay "DLY" on the SignaLinkUSB interface device.

          Ed K7AAT

> [...]

          > 3 2 0 Digital-In (2- Creative SB X-Fi
          > 4 2 0 Microphone (USB Audio CODEC )
          > 5 2 0 "What U Hear" (2- Creative SB X
          > 6 0 2 Microsoft Sound Mapper - Output
          > 7 0 2 Speakers (2- Realtek High Defin
          > 8 0 2 Speakers (PlayOn Virtual Audio
          > 9 0 2 Speakers (2- Creative SB X-Fi)
          > 10 0 2 Realtek Digital Output (2- Real
          > 11 0 2 Realtek Digital Output(Optical)
          > 12 0 2 SPDIF Out (2- Creative SB X-Fi)
          > 13 0 2 Speakers (USB Audio CODEC )
          >
          > User requested devices: Input = 0 Output = 0 Default devices: Input =
          > 0 Output = 6 Will open devices: Input = 0 Output = 6 Audio streams
          > running normally.
          > I would rather use the SignalLink USP in and out...how do i define
          > this so that it becomes the default devices?

          --
          Lance Collister, W7GJ
          (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)

          Interested in 6m EME? Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME email
          group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web page (above)!

          WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/

          Yahoo Groups Links
        • Jim Kennedy
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2014
            I concur with what Ed says. I have been using a USB interface for years using  WSJT modes.  I use a W6PQL sequencer to control antenna relays etc. I did this by simply breaking the PTT line on the USB and use it to control the sequencer and the sequencer keys everything else. . I have a switch on the sequencer that by passes it when I am using push to talk or a foot switch when working cw or ssb. I have no issues with the USB interface. Its also very convenient because of it size and simplicity when out on a portable operation.

            Jim
            W7OUU

            I am not familiar with the SignalLink USB unit, but my guess would suggest
            that you try specifying #4 for input and #13 for output. You do this under
            the SETUP/OPTIONS tab on your WSJT panel. Just put "4" in the "Audio In"
            box, and "13" in the "Audio Out" box. You also will have to make sure that
            your SignalLink sampling rate is a multiple of 11025 Hz, or enter the proper
            sound card correction factors into the "Rate In" and "Rate Out" boxes on the
            same screen.

            I know people have had lots of problems trying to run the SignalLink device
            with WSJT because it does not pass along the PTT command generated by the
            WSJT program to the radio before the tones start. Instead, it develops its
            own PTT signal from the AUDIO tones. This basically means that the radio is
            "HOT SWITCHED" the same as VOX mode.
            This may not be a problem if you just running a barefoot tranceiver, or even
            if you are running some modern QSK amplifier with vacuum relays. However, if
            you have a homebrew amplifier with external mechanical coaxial relay
            switching, it is a big problem because you will burn out the relays and
            destroy the amplifier.

            That is why I recommend something like the RIGBlaster products, which
            transfer the actual PTT signal from the serial port of the computer to the
            radio BEFORE the WSJT tones begin. This very convenient safety feature was
            built into the WSJT software, and it seems a shame not to throw it away by
            using an inferior interface device.

            GL and VY 73, Lance

            On 4/7/2014 12:37 AM, n2aie@... wrote:

            > I used to have this working when i used the
            internal sound
            > cards,..moved to SignalLink USB, and I see that the
            Audio Device list

            > Audio Input Output Device Name
            > Device
            Channels Channels