Re: [wsjtgroup] suggestions for working mobiles

  • Dan Evans
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2004
      Hi All,

      While not for WSJT modes yet, I have been faced with the mobile logging
      problem often. I run into nearly the same problem during my contest
      Roving. The "best" solution I have came up with so far is to use a
      tape record QSO's, or just repeat the QSO data into a tape recorder, or
      a digital voice recorder, with all the needed data to be entered into
      the log later.

      With my setup, roving solo, it's just not safe for me to log any other
      way. It is a pain to go back and "fix the log" afterward, but my
      operation while in motion is pretty limited so it's normally just a few
      dozen QSO's.

      Hope this helps,

      Dan

      Dan Evans K9ZF
      Scottsburg, IN 47170
      {EM78}
      K9ZF /R no budget Rover
      ex-N9RLA
      Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
      http://www.qsl.net/n9rla
      QRP-l #1269
      Central States VHF Society
      IN-Ham list administrator
    • N0PB Phil
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2004
        I thought I would drop a note here to get some other peoples ideas.

        I have worked several stations now while mobile. From the work truck I was in 6 or 7 grids in one day.

        I have received several cards now for some of the QSO's.. None of the cards I received indicate what grid I was in when they worked me.
         When going down the road I don't do much logging, because it is tough enough just running the program. I am always by myself.   I do write down some if the opportunity presents itself. Like having to stop at one of my dealers locations right after a couple QSOs.
        I am depending on the stations I work to keep the important information, time and grid.
         Am I doing this wrong ???
        My suggestion is, when you work someone mobile and send a card, put on the card what grid you are wanting confirmed and any other important information to help them out.

         Come on rocks and E skip !!!

        73,
         N0PB
      • jim bennett
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2004
          I sympathize with your predicament, but I feel it is your responsibility to confirm that the contact is valid and that the info on "YOUR QSL card is correct. I do not feel you should rely on incoming cards as your source of "valid QSO data"

          my 2 cents
          jim K4KAE
[...]

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

          NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm

        • Randy Tipton
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10, 2004

            I wonder if you use the WSJT function to save the data in the text file and then review it when you had the time for logging… Or another possibility is to save the last wav file for either the RRR or 73 messages and use them at the end of the day when you fill in your notes… Another possibility would be to talk Joe into supplying a “Log It” button on the front end for logging qso’s or someone who is capable of programming the  code write the routine for Joe. (That leaves out a bunch of us…) But a simple logger would be nice for all the portable ops. guys.

            Personally, I have no problem with the way you’re doing it. As hard as it is to work new initials / grids I think the person needing the card should be able to supply all the information needed on the qsl card.

            The biggest problem I have is making sure I know the Grid the Portable / Mobile station is in. Having the Grid in the CQ Message is necessary but it would help if the portable station also used the Grid for his Report instead of the 26/27 standard report.

            Thanks for the new initials while you were mobile, we have had 7 completed qso’s and two meters was the hardest.

            Tip

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 12, 2004
              At the risk of getting some people upset at me, I will say the following.

              When you receive a QSL card it is your responsibility to verify certain
              information before you send one back.

              1. Did you actually make a contact with the station requesting the card?
              2. Did you receive his callsign correctly.
              3. Does the date and time for the contact agree with what he showed on his
              card.

              #3 is not as important as the first 2 and I will generally ignore time
              differences of a few hours (possibly they are using local time) and date
              differences of a day.

              But, if the contact is not in my log, with the correct call, I don't send
              back a card. (And if the contact IS in my log, but with the wrong call, I
              remove it from the log and do not count it as a grid worked (if it was a new
              one)).

              If you don't have a log, how are you going to verify the contact properly?
              You could receive a card from a station you did not even work, and you would
              not know the difference. Or you might not have copied his call correctly
              when you made the contact. The rules for a valid contact specifically say
              that callsigns must be copied correctly by both parties.

              For a mobile station it is not that hard to have a little "dictating" type
              of tape recorder, and speak the log information when each contact is
              complete. It can be transferred to a paper log when you next stop.

              73, Russ K2TXB
            • N0PB Phil
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 14, 2004
                I operate mobile CW as well !!
                That is done in your head, so no need to look down like running WSJT.
                2 of the days I was in all those grids I drove over 500 miles ,took care of
                customers at their locations and several on the phone. Not a lot of time
                left for stopping to do a good job of logging.

                THANKS FOR YOUR KIND OBSERVATION !!

                Phil N0PB